What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a couple of celebratory pours of a ps Weller FP after getting home from work. It’s a celebration for a few reasons. First and foremost, tomorrow is my 39th wedding anniversary. I have a wonderful wife, and I’m not quite sure how she’s put up with me for so long. 🤔 Secondly, I let my work know my official retirement date. I plan on pulling the plug on September 7th. 🥳 Last but not least, I had a pretty decent week at work for a change. :huh:I will neither confirm nor deny that it may have been because my supervisor was on vacation the last few days. 😜 Cheers!

Biba! Joe

That’s a lot to celebrate, congrats!

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Woodford while chillin’ on the front patio with Braves on the radio.  Woodford has really hit another gear with my palate the last couple of bottles.  Thinking about it, every Brown Forman  whiskey is in overdrive and also flipping the NOS switch with my palate right now. 

I’ve never been impressed with regular Woodford, but now that you mention it, with the way everything else BF has been agreeing with my palate so well this year, I think I’m overdue for diving back into some Woodford.

Appetizer of some very small pours of W12 and a fresh cracked Blanton’s while I was cooking burgers tonight. I’ve got a main course of WT101 poured tall waiting for after I get my kids to bed. 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m having a couple of celebratory pours of a ps Weller FP after getting home from work. It’s a celebration for a few reasons. First and foremost, tomorrow is my 39th wedding anniversary. I have a wonderful wife, and I’m not quite sure how she’s put up with me for so long. 🤔 Secondly, I let my work know my official retirement date. I plan on pulling the plug on September 7th. 🥳 Last but not least, I had a pretty decent week at work for a change. :huh:I will neither confirm nor deny that it may have been because my supervisor was on vacation the last few days. 😜 Cheers!

Biba! Joe

Congratulations Joe on those two big milestones. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Saw this WT101 rye today, (sorry wrong forum but it’s barely rye).  TW by me usually has the 1L bottle by me for around $30.  WT101 rye had probably become my favorite daily was excited to try the new bottle even if it’s a 750ML.  Even better noticed on the receipt it’s $16.99.  I think I’ll go back and get a case.  

374C29AE-2F8E-4913-93CD-D662798A04E3.jpeg

How was the SBS?

11 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

How was the SBS?

Um asked my wife to try them and she preferred the 101.  I guess not surprised it’s more sweet, less oaky more straightforward.  I prefer the Cornerstone but not all that much more.

Unless you’re a crazy diehard WT rye fan I wouldn’t buy this.

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Now that sounds like some great reasons to celebrate.  Congrats all around!

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Congratulations Joe! 39 years is impressive. 

Only 108 more days to retirement,  but whose counting right? 😀

• I like it 2

What bottle on your shelf empties the fastest?    For me, it's what I'm sipping yet once again - Statesman.   

I"m going to pull a beach chair out to the dunes and read me the Saturday Wall Street Journal.   Bourbon and Peggy Noonan - perfect together.   😃

ECBP neat, proofed down, or on a cube has been singing to me lately. On a cube with some patio sittin' while listening to Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, Colter Wall, etc. is wetting my whistle on this beautiful Saturday evening. 

20210522_201933.jpg

20210522_201524.jpg

• I like it 9

Drove out to one of the big nurseries outside town today to find some plants that were sold out locally. On the way there I noticed a new commercial development that had a bunch on winery tasting rooms as well as a local craft distillery that I've long known about but have never tried. So after buying our plants we stopped by for a tasting. J.P. Trodden uses a 70/30 corn to wheat mashbill and ages in 53 gallon barrels with a #3 char.

I tasted a 3 yr small batch at 90 proof, a 4 year 100 proof single barrel and a 6yr 96 proof small batch. They also had for sale by the pour a 10yr old 90 proof. After confirming the 10 year was their own distillate (I didn't know they had been around for that long) I purchased a 1.5 oz pour alongside the tasting.

The 3yr tasted like I thought it would - grainy. The 4 year was better but still had some grainy notes. The 6 year was a lot better - very sweet but kind of a one note bourbon. It has some similarities to WSR with the wheater sweetness but falls a bit short and costs 3 times the price!

The 10yr was what I was really interested in. A craft bourbon at 10 years? Surely this kind of age would tell the story.

It was a very pleasant bourbon - it had some nice secondary flavors beyond the one note of the 6 yr. But?........my wife said that WT101 was better and I had to agree. So what's going on here? There was one question I had yet to ask. Where do they age the barrels? Turns out it's right there on the premises.

Well that explains it. In our climate you are going to get very little temperature variance and therefore heat exchanges. It's like aging bourbon in Scotland.

Strange choice.

I was happy to try it because I now know I never need to buy a bottle!

We came home and I planted all my plants and I rewarded myself with some FRYL out of the freezer. Just as enjoyable or more for a fraction of the price.

• I like it 9

8 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

What bottle on your shelf empties the fastest?    For me, it's what I'm sipping yet once again - Statesman.   

For me the past few years it's probably Baker's small batch.  It's one of those bourbons that I'm never not in the mood for.  Back when I had a much smaller collection it was probably WT101 and RB, but now I have so many different bottles of WT whiskey open that not one single bottle disappears as fast as a bottle of Baker's.

• I like it 4

It was great day yesterday. My wife and I took a planned drive over the state line to buy a couple things. After that, it was off the grid. Backroads to one place, and backroads to another. We stopped at numerous antique and resale shops, and yes, a few liquor stores. We didn’t find anything, but we had a lot of fun. It was nice just getting out for a change. We also met some nice, and interesting people. On the way back home, we went through a town a few miles west of us. We were getting hungry, and decided to eat supper. We stopped at an Italian restaurant that we’d passed by numerous times, but had never stopped to eat. I had their lasagna, and my wife had their tortellini a la panna. OMG! This was one of the best meals we’ve had in ages. To top it off, we had mentioned that it was our anniversary, and as we were finishing dinner, our wonderful waitress brought out a HUGE piece of cheesecake for us to share. On the house no less! Needless to say, she received a very nice tip. 

When we got home, we hit the back patio to kick back and relax a while. There was a slight breeze blowing, (again) the birds were chirping, and I had a nice pour of Pappy 15 in my glass. 🙂 Happy Anniversary to us! 🥳

Biba! Joe

• I like it 17

Congrats Joe, that's awesome!!

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

ECBP neat, proofed down, or on a cube has been singing to me lately. On a cube with some patio sittin' while listening to Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, Colter Wall, etc. is wetting my whistle on this beautiful Saturday evening. 

20210522_201933.jpg

20210522_201524.jpg

That’s a great ice cube right there.

26 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

That’s a great ice cube right there.

I noticed that, too.  That’s premium whiskey bar quality clear cube!

I finally got around to working on my barrel staves this weekend.  They’ve only been sitting in the garage for about 2 years 🙄.

Anyway,  I like the way they look with most of the char wire brushed off, so that’s the route I went. 

One is for regular, the other is for gold horses (both BT barrel staves).

Drilling wood has never smelled so good.

While finishing up, I realized that I still need to drink a few bottles to obtain their respective horses, so I’m having a couple pours of Blanton’s tonight.

This 2019 bottle (barrel) is quite spicy and delicious! 🙂

9BEF9A93-50FB-4BBA-ABE0-219DA5917A77.jpeg

808A41D3-E4D5-4C90-AFF5-4914B1B97C97.jpeg

• I like it 6

Listening to a jazz organ playlist and sipping some MM101 I lucked across Friday on the way to band rehearsal. Only bought one bottle...there were maybe 3 or 4 at this certain place. Actually getting a graham cracker note on the finish...this is my favorite MM expression, I like it even better than MMCS. (Bought a regular MM bottle at the same time, but left that at the rehearsal studio. :) )

• I like it 5

17 hours ago, B3Nut said:

Listening to a jazz organ playlist and sipping some MM101 I lucked across Friday on the way to band rehearsal. Only bought one bottle...there were maybe 3 or 4 at this certain place. Actually getting a graham cracker note on the finish...this is my favorite MM expression, I like it even better than MMCS. (Bought a regular MM bottle at the same time, but left that at the rehearsal studio. :) )

Welcome to the small but growing club of those who prefer this to the CS.

• I like it 4

BT in the glass after a “meh” day at work today. 😐 The BT is hitting the spot as it usually does. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Flying the Lawrenceberg flag tonight with some WTKS.

• I like it 1

I today I picked up a handle of KC9 for $50, so I decided to do a sbs with the nas version. If I had these blind I dont believe i could tell them apart. 

Though I think it's ridiculous how many times KC has changed their label and bottles over the past 3-4 years, I do really like the latest iteration. 

20210525_202934.jpg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.