What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I understand you go to a restaurant for the food.  However, how can it be your favorite restaurant if the only bourbon they had was Bulliet?  You should have went to the trunk and brought in your own bottle but had them pour it so that the missus didn't get suspicious. 

55 miles in 5 hours.  I believe I could almost walk that fast.  Well, not really but hyperbole makes it seem like I could.

WELL!  To be fair, they usually keep a 750 of basic BT on hand for me.  But Wash DC just opened for full service, and they are still switching from preparing "meals on wheels" to serving customers, so their bar offerings are pretty thin - most people ordering carryout or home delivery don't order booze drinks.  The long commute was understandable - motorcycle accident in the Southbound express lanes blocked all three express lanes and took over the shoulders of both the North and South bound regular lanes.  LOTS of rubbernecking.  AND, I forgot all about what was stashed in the trunk.:huh:  I promise I SHALL NOT repeat THAT mistake.:wacko:  Uh, what are flasks for, anyway??!!

• I like it 2

Finishing up the evening with a pour of Larceny Barrel Proof.  I have enjoyed this whiskey since my first sip.  Great body and mouthfeel are its signature attributes for me.  While the standard Larceny is on the dry side (which I enjoy, BTW), this has a heavy, sweet, dessert quality to it.  But, nowhere near cloying.  Much more in line with a Weller profile, than a Maker’s profile, in the wheat family.  The finish is particularly noteworthy and enjoyable.  

• I like it 1

Started with ER, ended with SR. “Weller that is. Brown gold. Kentucky tea.”  Apologies to Paul Henning, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Last night, went for the SS Dettling Cask Strength at 111pf...

Color was gorgeous

color.jpg.3d9129e06c9cf23e6e09353b1a3b0f76.jpg

Nose is waaaaay apple

Tasting notes, apple, cinnamon, buttered croissants & applewood tannis

It definitely drinks it's proof but not with a bite; more even keeled

A splash of water, didn't mute it much & I enjoyed it more this way

I didn't like it chilled with a cube, but it held up just the same

When I went back to neat, it was more enjoyable than the initial sip, possible because it wasn't a standard bourbon profile, but way more bourbony than anything I've tasted from TX.

Easily a nice $50-$60 bottle, but not the $75 that I paid

20210528_095114.thumb.jpg.f5f356d94aa803755a0369e575030d9e.jpg

(photobomb by Baby Saz)

This is technically in the wrong forum but this is too good not to place in the high traffic thread.

I was with a client yesterday and he pulled out this early 1940’s Four Roses Rye. I never knew this existed! He pointed out that the roses in the logo on the shoulder are upside. They did this during the war.

Anyway, the blend of straight whiskies at 5 years of age or more was quite pleasant and did not have that dusty must that I was expecting. An impressive piece of history.

AE17A51B-9B19-42F7-B791-CFFBBF1E94A7.jpeg

AFE32BCB-B566-4626-8FDC-448812A8BAE3.jpeg

E4890256-9389-4CB3-9FB1-B88F562667D8.jpeg

• I like it 19

My wife and I got a lot done today. One load of laundry completed. ✅ A couple of incidental things taken care of inside. ✅ Lawn trimmed and mowed. ✅ Some light shopping done. ✅ Dropped off a couple of items at our sons house. ✅ Not a bad day. 

We are once again relaxing on our back patio. Joe’s 2021 Weller Blend is in the glass. 😎 I am so looking forward to retirement. 🤗

Biba! Joe

• I like it 8

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife and I got a lot done today. One load of laundry completed. ✅ A couple of incidental things taken care of inside. ✅ Lawn trimmed and mowed. ✅ Some light shopping done. ✅ Dropped off a couple of items at our sons house. ✅ Not a bad day. 

We are once again relaxing on our back patio. Joe’s 2021 Weller Blend is in the glass. 😎 I am so looking forward to retirement. 🤗

Biba! Joe

Rock on Joe. You deserve it!!

• I like it 1

I'm sipping on some Old Forester 1870. It's been a while since I've had this. It's as good as I remember.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Rock on Joe. You deserve it!!

Thanks Phil. To be honest, it’s days like this that make the s**t days a little more bearable. 😏

FWIW, we even brought our fire table out of the garage and put it on our patio this evening. This is quite significant. Because of all that was going on, we didn’t even get it out at all last year. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come, and a return to some kind of normalcy. 🤞 Cheers to one and all! 

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 14

WSR after a day of hiking with the wife around Lake Malone.

334F04EF-7FF8-4EEC-9997-7C456FB98C61.jpeg

• I like it 10

21 minutes ago, markandrex said:

WSR after a day of hiking with the wife around Lake Malone.

Beautiful! 👍

Biba! Joe

From the category of, I can’t believe I’ve liked this as much as I have; WT Longbranch.  The hokey gimmickiness of it had my skepticism antenna up high, but I like it.  Conversely, I’m not enjoying the longbranch the Mets are giving the Braves, tonight... ouch...Ouch...OUCH!!!  😆

• I like it 1

Finished bottle #2 of my FRYL freezer stash last night (doesn't anybody sell the liter bottles around here anymore?).   😡

Steak tips on the BBQ marinated in Korean kalbi sauce with stir-fried baby bok choi, napa cabbage and fresh shitaki mushrooms.  Rainy and cold this weekend but I will not be denied!

Memorial Day BBQ.jpeg

🤣

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 11

Cracked this one yesterday. Very sweet with cornbread  (which I associate with youth). Not complex, but Easy drinking and @ $17 it will make the house bar rotation and possibly a good base for a BA cocktail 

CC416615-8AB1-4903-8AD9-F680E8B9A883.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Finished bottle #2 of my FRYL freezer stash last night (doesn't anybody sell the liter bottles around here anymore?).   😡

Steak tips on the BBQ marinated in Korean kalbi sauce with stir-fried baby bok choi, napa cabbage and fresh shitaki mushrooms.  Rainy and cold this weekend but I will not be denied!

Memorial Day BBQ.jpeg

🤣

Loving your pour & inner-redneck meme; but, that menu is worth a swim to your place.

The only thing missing is the yaki-modu appetizer. Big Time Yummmm!!! 😋

• I like it 1

On 3/24/2021 at 9:28 PM, PaulO said:

I'll echo all the love for WT.  I'm having some right now - 101.

Had some WT101 last night. Some HMcK10 on the deck with the dog this afternoon. 

FB_IMG_1622416748861.jpg

20210530_175925.jpg

• I like it 3

Had the TV out back to watch the Indy 500 this afternoon while smoking a pork butt.  Truly, the greatest spectacle in racing, if not all of sports.  Today’s race was fantastic.  Kept it to a back and forth of Old Forester 100 and  BT.  

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Had some WT101 last night. Some HMcK10 on the deck with the dog this afternoon. 

FB_IMG_1622416748861.jpg

20210530_175925.jpg

How'd the dog like the HMcK?:huh:

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

How'd the dog like the HMcK?:huh:

Ha!! She didn't have any. She was already stoned on Trazadone to keep her calm from some treatment she had. My daughter's dog LOVES the smell of bourbon and won't leave you alone and tries to lick the glass.

• I like it 2

Right now, sipping Four Roses yellow label and wondering what the hell I brought that home for...(it was cheap and I was curious...was better on the rocks at the last Rare Element gig for whatever reason LOL...) It's...okay. Thin mouthfeel, tastes watered down. Talk about no finish to speak of....just peters out. At least the flavors don't offend. It won't make a repeat appearance. But I'm trying not to use up my McKenna 10 year I found and my MM101 I found...need to replenish the go tos. Wanting some 1792 and WT101 about now actually...and regular MM but that's at RE's rehearsal space and we're rehearsing Wednesday...so I'll get my MM fix there. ;) 

2 hours ago, B3Nut said:

Right now, sipping Four Roses yellow label and wondering what the hell I brought that home for...(it was cheap and I was curious...was better on the rocks at the last Rare Element gig for whatever reason LOL...) It's...okay. Thin mouthfeel, tastes watered down. Talk about no finish to speak of....just peters out. At least the flavors don't offend. It won't make a repeat appearance. 

Just send that over here. 😉

I’ve been fortunate enough to have tried some fantastic bourbons over the years, but 4RYL still remains a favorite of mine.

Why?

Well, I challenge you to find a more complex 80 proofer.

Also, sometimes you just want something easy to sip on that doesn’t require too much thought or energy.

It’s also delicious from the freezer right after mowing the lawn.

Finally, after trying many barrel proof whiskies, I like the challenge a proofed down bottle provides to my palate.  IMO, It takes a lot more work to find the flavors here, thus the rewards are greater when you find them.

🙂

• I like it 2

Took some time to remember our Fallen Ones before popping this open. Thanks to you all.

First try of the single barrel, pretty nice.

IMG_0091.jpg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.