What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Shh.  I was supposed to be picking up a new phone to replace a stolen one and going straight home.  I went straight, all right.  Stopped by a store that usually has high prices but sent an email with sale prices.  SO, after picking up the phone, I picked up a 4R SmB Select AND a JAM BOTH on sale.  Also picked up some 375s of Dolins Dry Vermouth and sweet Carpano Antica as well as a Redbreast 12 yr 80 proof.  I saved a lot of money by buying a cheap phone, though, so . . .

• I like it 7

Went to a local LS on Saturday night and was able to pickup a bottle of the new ECBP B521 at a reasonable price (for me) of $69 OTD.

Then this afternoon, since it was raining and I had softball cancelled and no work, I got bored and went to the local TW, and a bottle of 

RR SiB Private Barrel Selection came home with me, again at a reasonable price of $68 OTD.  Been really enjoying the WTRB, so I wanted to 

expand my WT horizons.  I was going to choose between RR10yr and RRSiB, but when I saw a store selection, I decided to go RRSiB.  I have

heard many favorable reviews, so I am looking forward to this one.  In fact, since there are a few more on the shelf, this one may get opened

tonight.

1023231251_20210622_1618361.thumb.jpg.0a6be1efa2470fec0982013290cf68d2.jpg

• I like it 9

Scooped up a Blantons. 1st I've seen in 2 years. Also cheapest I have ever paid for at $53 + tax...

• I like it 7

8 hours ago, jpb5151 said:

Tried a different store, got a few extra bottles. With these, I'm up to 19 unopened in the collection.

IMG_0123.thumb.jpeg.0798bdfc4bf6769788bdfbc63ce4e1db.jpeg

Nice!  A good variety and solid choices.  

5 hours ago, Richdel said:

Went to a local LS on Saturday night and was able to pickup a bottle of the new ECBP B521 at a reasonable price (for me) of $69 OTD.

Then this afternoon, since it was raining and I had softball cancelled and no work, I got bored and went to the local TW, and a bottle of 

RR SiB Private Barrel Selection came home with me, again at a reasonable price of $68 OTD.  Been really enjoying the WTRB, so I wanted to 

expand my WT horizons.  I was going to choose between RR10yr and RRSiB, but when I saw a store selection, I decided to go RRSiB.  I have

heard many favorable reviews, so I am looking forward to this one.  In fact, since there are a few more on the shelf, this one may get opened

tonight.

1023231251_20210622_1618361.thumb.jpg.0a6be1efa2470fec0982013290cf68d2.jpg

Good idea to give it a try before they disappear from the shelf!  You did good!

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Shh.  I was supposed to be picking up a new phone to replace a stolen one and going straight home.  I went straight, all right.  Stopped by a store that usually has high prices but sent an email with sale prices.  SO, after picking up the phone, I picked up a 4R SmB Select AND a JAM BOTH on sale.  Also picked up some 375s of Dolins Dry Vermouth and sweet Carpano Antica as well as a Redbreast 12 yr 80 proof.  I saved a lot of money by buying a cheap phone, though, so . . .

While no phone is cheap, as Cheap Bastard, I wait over 10 years after Smart Phones came out to get one.  I held onto my flip phone until it was unrepairable.  I even had a back up - brand new - flip phone but it didn't work when we tried to power it up.  I finally got a Smart Phone but it was already two or three generations old.  That said, buying whiskey on sale is always good.  Price is relative.  I really like Redbreast.  I see it on sale occasionally but just can't pull the trigger.  One day, I will pick up a bottle.  Maybe the next big sale at my local liquor store.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think we need pics.

"Pics?  We don't need no stinkin' pics!"

L&K WFP Microbatch.jpg

😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 10

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

L&K WFP Microbatch.jpg

😋

This is something that's akin to a unicorn for those of us in and around the first state.  I am more then jealous.

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

L&K WFP Microbatch.jpg

😋

I’m one of those visual learners.

😁

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Nice!  A good variety and solid choices.  

Thanks. Still kinda figuring out what I like best but in the meantime the variety's lots of fun.

WSR x2. $24.70/ea OTD.  Missed the “Red ones” by a few hours, the 4 cases they got in sold in a couple hours. 

• I like it 1

Found a straggler Virgin 101 with the Age Statement in an out of the way ABC, the Eagle Rare has officially left famine and moved to feast status in NC, and I couldn’t resist a “slam dunk” Maker’s Cask Strength (on sale for $40 to boot). 

65636EA7-ADB6-43B2-86C7-2E2FEF1EFAD6.jpeg

• I like it 4

Purchased a 6 year old BPSiB bourbon out of Nevada from Frey Ranch.  It's a nice store pick from one of the stores in Northern California that got one.  This particular expression used four grains (corn, winter cereal rye, winter wheat and two row barley).  My particular pick clocks in at 127.4 with nice notes of cherry and an explosion of butterscotch on the palate.  I had been wanting to get my hands on one of these ever since the distillery had done so well at the SF Spirits Competition.  It's fantastic.  I have had a lot of bourbon from all over.  There are few craft distilleries that raise my eyebrow outside of the major ones in Kentucky/Indiana and fewer still outside of Kentucky.  New Riff doesn't even tickle my fancy.  But the likes of Wilderness Trail, Finger Lakes Distilling, Tom's Foolery, Woodinville and now Frey Ranch give me hope that there will be much more choice in the next 5-10 years for American whiskey.

Last weekend I bought a bottle of Costco's new Kirkland Barton Small Batch and compared it to 1792 SB.  Since Kirkland Barton Single Barrel and Kirkland Barton BIB are coming releases, I picked up a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel so I will be ready when the Costco release drops.  Still gotta grab a 1792 BIB

1792SiB.gif

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

A couple DD's (only one in pic) and a local MM pick.

20210622_234404.jpg

I would guess the MM is going to be exceptionally smooth? 

Astor in NYC had a cool double whammy deal today— not only were all American spirits 15% off but one of the included offerings was a “warehouse find” ECBP from 2015, priced at $67.97 after the discount. Couldn’t resist.

C4E1BC70-CF96-4928-82A1-7D0BBFDD4752.thumb.jpeg.9e4b9d26b83e065f0e4f42fe62281fa7.jpeg

• I like it 19

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Astor in NYC had a cool double whammy deal today— not only were all American spirits 15% off but one of the included offerings was a “warehouse find” ECBP from 2015, priced at $67.97 after the discount. Couldn’t resist.

C4E1BC70-CF96-4928-82A1-7D0BBFDD4752.thumb.jpeg.9e4b9d26b83e065f0e4f42fe62281fa7.jpeg

Wow - A blast from the past.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Wow - A blast from the past.

That's awesome!   Good for them for now allowing greed to set in with their pricing!

• I like it 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, clearmoon247 said:

This has been a good week. We purchased a bottle of Russells Reserve 13 Year,  ORWV at retail, and these amazing bottles!

Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 37 and a cask strength,  single barrel release of St. Augustine bourbon. It is their oldest barrel released to date, coming in at 6 years, 160 days & 118.5 proof. They used char #1 Missouri oak for this barrel and I think the lower char level helped keep it from being over oaked.

Huge shout out to @WhiskeyBlender for the continued excellence with the Cigar Blend.

20210619_145516.jpg

20210619_144030.jpg

Hey there @clearmoon247, glad you also got a bottle of St. Augustine's "The Saint" as well as Cigar Blend! I've been consulting for St. Augustine distillery now for 3 years. I'm also currently visiting my sister in Saint John's. 🥃😜 Cheers! Nancy.

37 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey there @clearmoon247, glad you also got a bottle of St. Augustine's "The Saint" as well as Cigar Blend! I've been consulting for St. Augustine distillery now for 3 years. I'm also currently visiting my sister in Saint John's. 🥃😜 Cheers! Nancy.

Saint John's, FL or St. John's, USVI?  😊

Anyway, glad you're feeling better enough to travel!  😉

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Love seeing things like this!  I have never had a bottle of the older ECBP.  Very cool.

22 hours ago, Shizzy said:

Purchased a 6 year old BPSiB bourbon out of Nevada from Frey Ranch.  It's a nice store pick from one of the stores in Northern California that got one.  This particular expression used four grains (corn, winter cereal rye, winter wheat and two row barley).  My particular pick clocks in at 127.4 with nice notes of cherry and an explosion of butterscotch on the palate.  I had been wanting to get my hands on one of these ever since the distillery had done so well at the SF Spirits Competition.  It's fantastic.  I have had a lot of bourbon from all over.  There are few craft distilleries that raise my eyebrow outside of the major ones in Kentucky/Indiana and fewer still outside of Kentucky.  New Riff doesn't even tickle my fancy.  But the likes of Wilderness Trail, Finger Lakes Distilling, Tom's Foolery, Woodinville and now Frey Ranch give me hope that there will be much more choice in the next 5-10 years for American whiskey.

I agree - Frey Ranch bourbon is excellent and they are yet another example of a craft distiller both "doing things right"  while at the same time offering a unique take on our favorite tipple.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Saint John's, FL or St. John's, USVI?  😊

Anyway, glad you're feeling better enough to travel!  😉

Oops, sorry @GeeTen, I meant Saint John's, FL, which is about twenty minutes north of St. Augustine.

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I live 15 miles from there and have never been to Astor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.