What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought yesterday and opened today. WOW, is this good. Sitting on my porch on a nice night and really enjoying this. Had fried Oreos for desert tonight and thought they might mess up my palate - nope. The more I try WT products, the more I like them.

A5DDF52D-F2A2-4554-B094-FF65EDC5020F.thumb.jpeg.7473b67a933179ec14e4286a6f0cb008.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 7/21/2021 at 11:20 PM, PaulO said:

I'm having EW B.I.B. right now.  I earned it after watching/entertaining my son's little cousins.  I told my wife, it would take longer to explain than the actual time it took to happen.  I finally got my new couch dropped off.  An instant later I heard child voices in my driveway.  The boys were squealing and running from room to room for hours.

I used to watch the kids when the women folk went shopping or for a girls night out.  They usually regretted leaving them with me since I would hype them up on McDonald's, soda, candy, ice cream and ran them ragged in the back yard.  Back then every McDonald's had a playland.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I like to buy WT101 by the handle which I then use to refill a 750.

Last weekend I emptied the last of a handle - almost filled the 750.

Noticed tonight that I somehow put a major hurting on that bottle this week.

So I guess I'm drinking a of WT101! And, I'm in need of a new handle.

So, I was at the store today and some guy was spending a lot of time in the bourbon area,  He was reading labels.  He was there a really long time.  I notice he was focused on the new style bottle of WT101 and WTR101.  He looked both over very closely but opted for something else.  I wasn't paying attention to what he ended up picking up.  I guess he was wondering if it was something new.

Opting for simple quality tonight.  OGD BIB.  

Wife has on one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies but I have opted to watch while listening to rock.  Obviously, the plot of the movie isn't what makes it one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies nor does the fact that Henry Winkler is in it.

Loch and Key RR SiB CNA named Soul. This sample given to me by a fellow SBer, poured from a bottle given to him by another SBer. And yes, it's fantastic. 

20210724_201702.jpg

• I like it 4

On 7/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I enjoyed a solid pour of KC12 tonight and now following up with another smaller pour.  Took the afternoon off to tend to my princess dog who had ACL surgery yesterday.  She is crashed out next to me while I drink bourbon, surf the internet, and watch the NBA finals.  I think she is pretty stoned.  

She thought Frank was drinking Joe's Blend as well.

Resized_20210720_205202.thumb.jpeg.e1408a73f6637192187041816c10eb80.jpeg

• Resized_20210720_205159.thumb.jpeg.885880c59c2d6984a40c4db01eeed5e8.jpeg

My princess is doing better.  Of course, she loves sitting next to me without that darn plastic cone on to prevent her from ripping out her stitches.  It doesn't hurt that I hide her pain meds in chicken breast.  She eats something she likes and then relaxes.  Meanwhile, I drink bourbon and relax.  We are in sync.

Gonna have to run the beagle tomorrow.  She is looking like she is an outsider and bored.

• I like it 4

Trying this one out tonight, first time, first, it surprised me for a 95 proof. Lot's of cinnamon/vanilla up front, pretty nice burn, picking up pears. Pretty nice, but for $57 (minus 10% discount) would probably buy again, but I would buy a few others before hand, if were available. Pretty tasty, quite different than Old Forester Signature (100 Proof).

20210724_202538.jpg

Edited by MTNBourbon
  • I like it 2

A pour of CEHT BP as I contemplate college football conference realignment.  Fascinating stuff.  The whiskey and the conference realignment.

Resized_20210724_221714.jpeg

• I like it 8

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Only the super rare "foot-crafted". They impart a very unique funk.

Extra knowledge that only a "deity" level SBer would know.  😆

• I like it 1

I really like

48 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Trying this one out tonight, first time, first, it surprised me for a 95 proof. Lot's of cinnamon/vanilla up front, pretty nice burn, picking up pears. Pretty nice, but for $57 (minus 10% discount) would probably buy again, but I would buy a few others before hand, if were available. Pretty tasty, quite different than Old Forester Signature (100 Proof).

20210724_202538.jpg

I really like Statesman.  As others have pointed out, it is not a QPR pour.  It would be more appealing if priced in the mid to upper $30s.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I really like Statesman.  As others have pointed out, it is not a QPR pour.  It would be more appealing if priced in the mid to upper $30s.

For those prices, I would consider it more often, easily. Like I said, quite different than Old Forester Signature (100 Proof), I like the taste, different.

Edited by MTNBourbon
  • I like it 1

Had a late night dram of FRYL from the freezer and watched the Olympic swimming events.  Team USA did a good job of keeping the rest of the world spread out behind them, IMHO.  And I was listening to the starters for each event - a male voice (the home country Japanese starter) doing an OK job mumbling "Take Your Mark" and a very familiar (to me) female voice (the "world starter" from the USA) doing her usual fantastic job with "Take Your Mark" - I was very proud to be able to be part of Denice W.'s (from Virginia and now living in Florida) development as an Olympic level official.

And a little bit of Olympic trivia for all y'all to win drinks in a bar on a bet.  Since at least 1988, every Olympic swimming meet has had an American starter.  And that includes the first woman starter in 1996 (Jeannine D. from Texas as the home country starter) who was the "World" starter at the subsequent 2000 Olympics in Sydney.  And we also had the first "minority" starter (Cecil G. from Delaware) at the Rio Games as the "World" starter.  USA swimming officials (with very few exceptions) are all volunteers that are an integral but quiet part of Team USA's continued success in the pool.  I am honored and lucky to call them all my friends.  Just FYI.   😆

• I like it 11

14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Loch and Key RR SiB CNA named Soul. This sample given to me by a fellow SBer, poured from a bottle given to him by another SBer. And yes, it's fantastic. 

20210724_201702.jpg

There’s a sister barrel called “Funk” too. 

• I like it 1

I read about freezing here.

Yesterday I picked up an ET BIB, and tried it frozen.

I liked it, and will try freezing again sometime.

Well this weekend was not the one we were planning! A little after 8am Saturday morning a huge branch from our oak tree came crashing down on the deck and power line. Primary power stayed connected but we lost the neutrals and cable. With the neutrals down we experienced a series of power wanes and surges. We quickly went around the house flipping breakers and unplugging as many items as possible. We weren't fast enough and in the end the casualties were our wall oven, a subwoofer, and the AC/furnace. Also a surge protector that completely fried while melting some of the plastic casing. (It did its job). The error code on the thermostat leads me to believe that the AC/furnace issue may only be a fuse. Not sure about the other two.

The deck and house are thankfully completely fine. The branch landed in just the right spot and our fairly new deck is bombproof thanks to the use of a particular Brazilian hardwood that is extremely dense. It took two days to clean everything up with special thanks to our neighbor who brought over his chainsaw to cut up the branch into manageable pieces. At least we got some firewood out of this!

I need something strong. Very strong.

• I like it 6

24 minutes ago, flahute said:

Well this weekend was not the one we were planning! A little after 8am Saturday morning a huge branch from our oak tree came crashing down on the deck and power line. Primary power stayed connected but we lost the neutrals and cable. With the neutrals down we experienced a series of power wanes and surges. We quickly went around the house flipping breakers and unplugging as many items as possible. We weren't fast enough and in the end the casualties were our wall oven, a subwoofer, and the AC/furnace. Also a surge protector that completely fried while melting some of the plastic casing. (It did its job). The error code on the thermostat leads me to believe that the AC/furnace issue may only be a fuse. Not sure about the other two.

The deck and house are thankfully completely fine. The branch landed in just the right spot and our fairly new deck is bombproof thanks to the use of a particular Brazilian hardwood that is extremely dense. It took two days to clean everything up with special thanks to our neighbor who brought over his chainsaw to cut up the branch into manageable pieces. At least we got some firewood out of this!

Crap man, sorry to hear this.  However, in the end, houses and appliances can be repaired or replaced.  Based on your post, it sounds like no one was hurt so that is something to be thankful for.  Best wishes on restoring everything back to normal.  It also sounds like no whiskey bottles were damaged so I suspect you have plenty of options to drown your sorrows while also celebrating that everyone is ok.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Crap man, sorry to hear this.  However, in the end, houses and appliances can be repaired or replaced.  Based on your post, it sounds like no one was hurt so that is something to be thankful for.  Best wishes on restoring everything back to normal.  It also sounds like no whiskey bottles were damaged so I suspect you have plenty of options to drown your sorrows while also celebrating that everyone is ok.

Yes indeed - thanks to the timing nobody was on the deck so no injuries and the bunker is safe! Definitely need some medicinal whiskey for my sore back.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, mal00768 said:

There’s a sister barrel called “Funk” too. 

We already drank all of that one.

🤣

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Good news - your HVAC probably only needs a fuse or some other small part designed to fail first to protect the unit.  I went through something similar earlier this summer.

Give that neighbor a pour too, after the chainsaw is put away.

yet again, day to day difference in palate driven home

multiple trips to a blantons gave yech, even though barrel seemed okay when bought.  followed with CEHT and EC-rye which gave mere "meh" at best.  Looked at scotch and thought nope.  Then went for Lairds Apple Brandy 10th generation 100 proof and cask strength 127.5 proof.  Though Lairds didn't hit the sweet spot, they did hit the spot.  Ah yes.  Perhaps good cognac would be perfect, don't know, my search is over.  Lesson for you, broad spectrum bunker is good, and that trash bottom shelf might be perfect sip next week.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Good news - your HVAC probably only needs a fuse or some other small part designed to fail first to protect the unit.  I went through something similar earlier this summer.

Give that neighbor a pour too, after the chainsaw is put away.

Ha! Yes indeed. My neighbor needed to get to his nieces birthday party but we are having dinner Monday night so he will receive a great pour!

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.