What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I enjoyed a solid pour of KC12 tonight and now following up with another smaller pour.  Took the afternoon off to tend to my princess dog who had ACL surgery yesterday.  She is crashed out next to me while I drink bourbon, surf the internet, and watch the NBA finals.  I think she is pretty stoned.  

She thought Frank was drinking Joe's Blend as well.

Resized_20210720_205202.thumb.jpeg.e1408a73f6637192187041816c10eb80.jpeg

• Resized_20210720_205159.thumb.jpeg.885880c59c2d6984a40c4db01eeed5e8.jpeg

Boy, do I know that feeling - "What - me worry?"  🤪

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

It doesn't - "Low Salt" soy is a capital offense against mankind in general and Asians (we're not "Orientals" anymore, remember  😂) in specific.  SWMBO makes me use that crap.  "Stop Asian Hate!"  🤬

Good to know. If I'm ever making Asian old fashioneds for you or any of my Oriental friends, I'll be sure to use a few dashes of organic, real salt soy sauce. Is La Choy the standard or would a salty Kikkoman be okay? What's the consensus on teriyaki sauce? I should be a bartender. 🙃

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

It doesn't - "Low Salt" soy is a capital offense against mankind in general and Asians (we're not "Orientals" anymore, remember  😂) in specific.  SWMBO makes me use that crap.  "Stop Asian Hate!"  🤬

🤣😂🤣

I am really going to need a "program" in my old age...

• I like it 2

Some Evan Williams Black from the freezer while grilling last night.  Pretty good!  I have to say I prefer this to 4Roses YL out of the freezer. 

EWB from the freezer.jpg

• I like it 7

A couple of months ago i had heard whispers that this was not going to be around much longer.  The store shelves have since proved that to, thankfully, be false. 

00A90B9A-BF16-4C96-B951-13F43C8C0DA3.jpeg

• I like it 4

32 minutes ago, ThomasGazelle said:

A couple of months ago i had heard whispers that this was not going to be around much longer.  The store shelves have since proved that to, thankfully, be false. 

00A90B9A-BF16-4C96-B951-13F43C8C0DA3.jpeg

I need to replenish my JWD

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Boy, do I know that feeling - "What - me worry?"  🤪

First Frank, then the dog's ACL and today my wife got a new knee.  Sipping a little Basil Hayden's tonight.  Bringing her home tomorrow.  Might be  a late night.

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

Some Evan Williams Black from the freezer while grilling last night.  Pretty good!  I have to say I prefer this to 4Roses YL out of the freezer. 

EWB from the freezer.jpg

You have inspired me to try EWBIB from the freezer (don't have the black) as my 4RYL is almost empty.

I'm having EW B.I.B. right now.  I earned it after watching/entertaining my son's little cousins.  I told my wife, it would take longer to explain than the actual time it took to happen.  I finally got my new couch dropped off.  An instant later I heard child voices in my driveway.  The boys were squealing and running from room to room for hours.

• I like it 1

Little bit of Rabbit Hole Cavehill today. I think their offerings are pretty good. This one has a unique mashbill that works well. Easy drinker, just enough spice and sexy legs to boot. 

1626982993414.jpg

Screenshot_20210722-150315-827.png

Edited by WhiskeyProposition

Warm one tonight. Cooling off with some ER and a couple of cubes. 

Cheers!

20210722_214707.jpg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Little bit of Rabbit Hole Cavehill today. I think their offerings are pretty good. This one has a unique mashbill that works well. Easy drinker, just enough spice and sexy legs to boot. 

1626982993414.jpg

I've yet to try their bourbon;  the rye was drinkable but unremarkable.   Interesting that it's a four grain- but i have yet to find a four grain that I've really dug.

9 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

I've yet to try their bourbon;  the rye was drinkable but unremarkable.   Interesting that it's a four grain- but i have yet to find a four grain that I've really dug.

Are you referring to the Boxergrail? If so, I agree. For the price, especially, it's not a stand-out to me.

I do however dig the Heigold, which they label as a 'High Rye Small Batch'. The mashbill is 70% corn, 25% malted rye and 5% malted barley. It's sweet, but to me, it's a 'good sweet', with pronounced brown sugar and butterscotch, but still pricey at $68 or so. 

12 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Are you referring to the Boxergrail? If so, I agree. For the price, especially, it's not a stand-out to me.

I do however dig the Heigold, which they label as a 'High Rye Small Batch'. The mashbill is 70% corn, 25% malted rye and 5% malted barley. It's sweet, but to me, it's a 'good sweet', with pronounced brown sugar and butterscotch, but still pricey at $68 or so. 

The only Rabbit Hole product I've tried is their rye;   that bottle was history six months ago and I don't remember what cutesy name they assigned to it.    If memory serves (and it may not),  it was a 95% rye mashbill similar to MGP,  but distilled in Kentucky.    It may have been contract distilled.    Like I said,  it was okay but didn't inspire me to try the rest of their line.  

The Heigold mashbill you describe is right in my wheelhouse;  do you know whether Rabbit Hole discloses (i) whether it is their own juice,  (ii) how old it is, and (iii)  what size barrels they use?     These days,  there are craft distillers putting out products to rival the big boys,   but I think transparency and useful facts for the benefit of the consumer are essential to getting and keeping business.   

16 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Are there non "hand-crafted casks" that I'm unaware of?

4 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

The only Rabbit Hole product I've tried is their rye;   that bottle was history six months ago and I don't remember what cutesy name they assigned to it.    If memory serves (and it may not),  it was a 95% rye mashbill similar to MGP,  but distilled in Kentucky.    It may have been contract distilled.    Like I said,  it was okay but didn't inspire me to try the rest of their line.  

The Heigold mashbill you describe is right in my wheelhouse;  do you know whether Rabbit Hole discloses (i) whether it is their own juice,  (ii) how old it is, and (iii)  what size barrels they use?     These days,  there are craft distillers putting out products to rival the big boys,   but I think transparency and useful facts for the benefit of the consumer are essential to getting and keeping business.   

So the 95/5 rye is contract distilled by new riff. And I agree is basically just ok. The new riff SIB ryes are miles better. But the boxergrail founder's collection was cask strength and 6 year, it was absolutely amazing.

Opened this up around the campfire last night.  Lucky to find this is another excellent barrel with a richer taste and oilier mouthfeel than the standard BiB.  The nose is butterscotch & brown sugar = delicious.

Pic bonus - Hummingbird photobombed the Colonel.

Spoiler

IMG_3673.jpg

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, BigRich said:

Are there non "hand-crafted casks" that I'm unaware of?

Only the super rare "foot-crafted". They impart a very unique funk.

• I like it 3

I like to buy WT101 by the handle which I then use to refill a 750.

Last weekend I emptied the last of a handle - almost filled the 750.

Noticed tonight that I somehow put a major hurting on that bottle this week.

So I guess I'm drinking a of WT101! And, I'm in need of a new handle.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.