What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yella Label out of the freezer while listening to Braves on the radio out on the front patio.  I can’t say enough how good this whiskey is when out of the freezer.   

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yella Label out of the freezer while listening to Braves on the radio out on the front patio.  I can’t say enough how good this whiskey is when out of the freezer.   

A bit sad to see Joc Pederson depart the Cubs. Glad to see he’s already contributing with the Braves though. 🙂

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.f0f4a5169051ca181dd67f7afa354dbb.jpeg

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A bit sad to see Joc Pederson depart the Cubs. Glad to see he’s already contributing with the Braves though. 🙂

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.f0f4a5169051ca181dd67f7afa354dbb.jpeg

The Cubs appear to be embarking on a rebuild.  

Moved on from 1792 Single Barrel to KC12.  Just because.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

No surprise that these brothers are aligned. I was enjoying some 4RYL out of the freezer after some yard work today. Damn weeds.

• I like it 2

On 7/16/2021 at 5:43 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

My cousin chose the Mash 2 as his favorite and incorrectly guessed the store pick was the MB2.

At least your cousin has good taste!

😂🤪🥃

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Quite like this one…

IMG_6404.thumb.jpg.9cf31244f3599a77ebe9e8c3ab12cbf7.jpg

Whoa. Wait. What?!!!

Finished in my favorite Irish whiskey casks.

I’d be delighted if you’d post some tasting notes, and or backstory if you know it.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:41 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Round 2. This was super tough. All three are fantastic. I eliminated what turned out to be Saffell. Again it was a back and forth between the other two and I ended up choosing Gollum as my winner and the RR13 second. 

My cousins order was Saffell, RR13 and Gollum last. 🤷‍♂️ everyone’s palate is different.

Blinds are always interesting and quite informative.

A3DC7E68-3A4D-4E99-A311-A92D7D7FBD36.jpeg

Sounds like my family actually.  We did a a similar SBS over the 4th of July weekend.  I had RR13 followed by a dead heat between WB Saffell and a local RR PS barrel.

• I like it 1

Tonight is an Old Forester night for me.  OFBP PS barrel selected by a local liquor store and the OF 1920.   The BP wins easily strictly on the thick viscous mouthfeel alone (no water added).  The 1920 might be overall more balanced on the palate but strangely also tastes a bit hot in comparison which I didn't expect.

I think this BP barrel select will be fun to experiment with later... adding water drops and an ice cube.

• I like it 2

What a tasting! A full Weller ladder from WSR through WLW. Went low to high proof and did three blinds along the way. 

Lot B vs PVW20 - 3/4 of us correctly identified the 20, but it was not as easy as I would have thought. The 20 was more complex in the nose and richer overall. 

Old Rip vs PVW15 - we went 2/2 here. Both lovely pours, full bodied, bursting red fruits, caramel oak wavy finish. After the reveal I felt like I could now taste the oakier finish in the 15, but I was looking for it.

WLW ‘18 125pf vs WLW ‘20 - The ‘20 was noticeably darker/redder than the ‘18. Everyone assumed the 10 proof points would be obvious but we went 0-2 with one abstaining and my blind was accidentally revealed before I could guess. Made it easy to just enjoy the final pours of the night. 

Other highlights. The PVW23 was my first taste and I have to admit it lived up to the hype. Absolutely fantastic. Lots of oak, but it doesn’t overpower and is so balanced. Best pour of the night by a long shot. 

Weller Single Barrel was also new. Meh. It’s good, but certainly not anything obviously superior to the rest of the lineup. 

Joes Weller blend came in at 100 proof and was a crowd favorite. The Warehouse WFP pick. was also wonderful.

A91666F8-A977-42D0-8A68-57AFB6B2ACE7.jpeg

90C4690A-EED7-4B76-93B7-217B8735F9C0.jpeg

• I like it 18

6 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What a tasting! A full Weller ladder from WSR through WLW. Went low to high proof and did three blinds along the way. 

Lot B vs PVW20 - 3/4 of us correctly identified the 20, but it was not as easy as I would have thought. The 20 was more complex in the nose and richer overall. 

Old Rip vs PVW15 - we went 2/2 here. Both lovely pours, full bodied, bursting red fruits, caramel oak wavy finish. After the reveal I felt like I could now taste the oakier finish in the 15, but I was looking for it.

WLW ‘18 125pf vs WLW ‘20 - The ‘20 was noticeably darker/redder than the ‘18. Everyone assumed the 10 proof points would be obvious but we went 0-2 with one abstaining and my blind was accidentally revealed before I could guess. Made it easy to just enjoy the final pours of the night. 

Other highlights. The PVW23 was my first taste and I have to admit it lived up to the hype. Absolutely fantastic. Lots of oak, but it doesn’t overpower and is so balanced. Best pour of the night by a long shot. 

Weller Single Barrel was also new. Meh. It’s good, but certainly not anything obviously superior to the rest of the lineup. 

Joes Weller blend came in at 100 proof and was a crowd favorite. The Warehouse WFP pick. was also wonderful.

Do you have any tasting notes on the VW rye?

I had a nice pour of the 9 year Old Fitz decanter from ~2 years ago? Can’t remember when that one came out. Anyway, that’s a nice pour, and a good reminder that a bottle doesn’t need a super old age statement to be good whiskey 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I had a nice pour of the 9 year Old Fitz decanter from ~2 years ago? Can’t remember when that one came out. Anyway, that’s a nice pour, and a good reminder that a bottle doesn’t need a super old age statement to be good whiskey 

Sure, but any age statement is nice these days.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

This has to be the post of the year!  Every One's A Winner Baby!

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

RR10 on the patio listening to Led Zeppelin. 
49F20318-D6DE-42E6-B7C3-422F1C147D51.thumb.jpeg.10cdb0552f4af402ede3584ffae1eef6.jpeg

Awesome photo!  Awesome bourbon!  Awesome music!

• I like it 1

On 7/17/2021 at 10:20 PM, 0895 said:

Whoa. Wait. What?!!!

Finished in my favorite Irish whiskey casks.

I’d be delighted if you’d post some tasting notes, and or backstory if you know it.

It's everything I like about George Dickel (austere, savory, minerality, intense) with a buttery mouthfeel and a unique fruity/woody complexity. Apparently the finishing phase was 1.5 years in wet casks-- so no quick rinse.

• I like it 2

On 7/16/2021 at 3:42 AM, GeeTen said:

Hey Ben,

I see you're into Armagnac, too.  Did a tasting with Christine @ Heavenly Spirits a month or so ago and had some 1981 Delord (bought a bunch) and picked up a 1971 Dartigalongue that was just bottled this year (50yr)!  Fantastic stuff. 

Great selection of bourbons, too.  😋

Nope, I am mostly a one trick pony with the booze and 95% is Bourbon and Rye.  That just happened to be a box that was tall enough to hold some Eagle Rare picks for my cousin.  Very minimal experience with Armangnac, but I have found a lot of them overly sweet sometimes almost to the point of being cloying.  

Hope the knee recovery is going well Frank!

• I like it 1

On 7/17/2021 at 11:03 PM, Kepler said:

Sounds like my family actually.  We did a a similar SBS over the 4th of July weekend.  I had RR13 followed by a dead heat between WB Saffell and a local RR PS barrel.

Yeah, we thought that it was a nice and varied WT lineup.  I need to get better and just focusing on flavors and which pour I enjoy the most versus trying to correctly identify the perceived best pour (in this case RR13).  I know what I SHOULD do, but always fall victim to guessing what is what and once that guess is in my mind it is very hard for me to change it . . .  

On 7/18/2021 at 8:42 AM, mal00768 said:

Do you have any tasting notes on the VW rye?

A blast of orange citrus on the nose, with some rye spice or maybe something more like clove.  Very nice, but I do not think this would easily stand out as a rye in a blind for me as the citrus dominates.  The palate is quite rich/viscous in the mouth and continued with a heavy candied/honey orange peel flavor, some darker fruits and a bit of a floral presence.  Overall I would say it is a very fruit forward and approachable rye.  Soft, complex and velvety with minimal rough edges.  Very good and nuanced and I would imagine someone with a much better palate than I would be able to really dig in an find a lot of other flavors.     

• I like it 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:49 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I want to be part of your family!  My family bitches about who is going to bring what to the holiday get together.  Your family enjoys bourbon tastings.  I am available most holidays.  Just let me know where and what side dish to bring.

This was a rarity which is why I went all out for my visiting cousin! My sisters both enjoy cocktails, but really just 1-2 per event.  The wifes side who we see much more are all drinkers, but not at all interested in having a conversation about flavor profiles etc . . .  I am slowly working on my BIL though.  He takes his bourbon over ice (for now) and I am always happy to pour when he asks.  

Sorry for the multiple posts, I had to catchup after the long weekend where I posted a lot, but did not reply to anyone.  Done now.  :)

• I like it 1

Having a classic today. My mind is not made up about using yeti type glasses but since this summer heat has had more mixing than normally happens I’m not going to question it too much.

50F03DB5-30DC-4876-ADA3-5270A65B2B2D.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, ThomasGazelle said:

Having a classic today. My mind is not made up about using yeti type glasses but since this summer heat has had more mixing than normally happens I’m not going to question it too much.

50F03DB5-30DC-4876-ADA3-5270A65B2B2D.jpeg

101 in ANY container makes a master out of a tater! 

WT 17 BiB after driving home from Atlanta from visiting my oldest son.

• I like it 3

I finished up work on a couple more sets of retirement paperwork today. 🙄 After finally getting home after having one set notarized, I’m now on the back patio with a pour of Weller SR. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

On 7/18/2021 at 9:35 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

HOLY POOP, BATMAN!!  If I lined up my lifetime's consumption of Wellers and Pappys (excluding the two or so gallons of Lot B I consumed in the mid-2000s), it would NOT approach that lineup.

I am aghast!!👍😺

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.