What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finishing off a Balcones Pot Still Bourbon.  

While it's gotten better with air, I don't see replacing it. 

I'll require a taste before investing in any other Balcones; as I hear some of their stuff is quite good.  I'm batting 0/2 at Balcones.  

Wanting to sip something, but patiently waiting for my cousin to arrive for a bourboning visit. He got into the hobby 18-24 months ago and I have been holding bottles for him. Too many to ship so he has drive to pick them all up!

00485E11-B334-404B-BEB0-864C31828FE9.jpeg

• I like it 7

Good luck with the recovery.  Rehab is your friend.    I did both about 7 years ago.  Great decision, you will be amazed on how much mobility you regain.

• I like it 1

Sadly, I didn’t complete my MM ladder last night. However….. After being postponed because of rain yesterday, my HVAC guy came and installed our new central air unit after I got home from work today. Ahhhhhh. 🥶 Peace of mind and MM 101 in the glass tonight. Though belatedly, my ladder is now complete. 🪜🥃  😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey, I'd rather be lucky than good! 😊

But life is a zero-sum game sometimes:

29100.jpeg

A recovery room pic yesterday afternoon after day-surgery for a total knee replacement. The worst thing  is no bourbon for the pain. And the really cute nurse told me "ice is your friend"!  😋

Best wishes for a speedy recovery friend!  I suspect you are already moving around and creating havoc.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sadly, I didn’t complete my MM ladder last night. However….. After being postponed because of rain yesterday, my HVAC guy came and installed our new central air unit after I got home from work today. Ahhhhhh. 🥶 Peace of mind and MM 101 in the glass tonight. Though belatedly, my ladder is now complete. 🪜🥃  😋

Biba! Joe

Sort of like one of those Facebook polls...you have to give up one of the following...

Tofu, Oprah reruns, bourbon, or air conditioning.    Obviously, I would give up tofu.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sort of like one of those Facebook polls...you have to give up one of the following...

Tofu, Oprah reruns, bourbon, or air conditioning.    Obviously, I would give up tofu.

Yeah, tofu, no way. 🤮

FWIW, our 30 + year old Trane central air unit was still working, but had been acting just a tad finicky lately. We decided to bite the bullet and replace it before it bit the dust when we might have needed it most. Catch 22 ya know. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yeah, tofu, no way. 🤮

FWIW, our 30 + year old Trane central air unit was still working, but had been acting just a tad finicky lately. We decided to bite the bullet and replace it before it bit the dust when we might have needed it most. Catch 22 ya know. 🤔

Biba! Joe

Drats, being an adult sucks.  30 years is pretty solid.  We have had the same water heater for 31 years.  I will not be surprised when it is time to replace it.  I had my AC unit go out about 3 or 4 years ago on a very hot day.  Fortunately, the condenser was still under warranty.  

Good decision replace, before the dog days of summer and retirement.

• I like it 1

Knocking back some Rhetoric 25 year after a day of mountain climbing.  Just what the doctor ordered.

jj.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked up a Dickel 15 year 82.4 proof today and enjoying it. I was hesitant due to the low proof but it’s very good and no overpowering mineral flavor or smell. 

@GeeTen rest-up and don’t skip out on physical therapy. I’ll have an extra glass tonight for you!

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey, I'd rather be lucky than good! 😊

But life is a zero-sum game sometimes:

29100.jpegAnd the really cute nurse told me "ice is your friend"!  😋

As Jimmy Russell once said - I like my bourbon with ice because it makes the ice taste better.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wanting to sip something, but patiently waiting for my cousin to arrive for a bourboning visit. He got into the hobby 18-24 months ago and I have been holding bottles for him. Too many to ship so he has drive to pick them all up!

Hey Ben,

I see you're into Armagnac, too.  Did a tasting with Christine @ Heavenly Spirits a month or so ago and had some 1981 Delord (bought a bunch) and picked up a 1971 Dartigalongue that was just bottled this year (50yr)!  Fantastic stuff. 

Great selection of bourbons, too.  😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

12 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I think we might be cousins too???  LOL - you are quite the cousin, hope he realize all of the rabbilt's you pulled out of a hat for him!

• I like it 1

Good times last night with my cousin. We just sat and caught up while having several wonderful pours.

Started with a BA cocktail while poking around the bunker. Then some 1976 Early Times and Old School OGD86 pf that were sent to me by a generous SB’er. Moved on to the end of an OKI I was saving for him to try. After that we hopped all over the place. The MM and 4R picks I did in March. A pair of WFP picks. ‘19 OFBB, ‘20 4R LE, Blaum 12. 

Winner of the night for me were the OFBB. The MM was another highlight and while the WFPs were overall better the MM certainly held its own. My cousin enjoyed  the WFP and MM the most. 

Today we will do a few blinds with some different EHT and RR picks. 

Saturday having a few others over for BBQ and full Weller ladder.  

• I like it 5

Started today with a simulated EHT barrel pick. We had a regular, the store pick I participated in, and a sample that is Mash #2.

I eliminated one right away and guessed it was the Mash 2. The other two were similar and both very good to my palate. After a lot of back and forth I eventually ended up picking the regular Single Barrel as my winner, but it really was close.

My cousin chose the Mash 2 as his favorite and incorrectly guessed the store pick was the MB2.

99674453-485C-47B7-8CE3-A7C65AF4CC0E.jpeg

• I like it 3

Round 2. This was super tough. All three are fantastic. I eliminated what turned out to be Saffell. Again it was a back and forth between the other two and I ended up choosing Gollum as my winner and the RR13 second. 

My cousins order was Saffell, RR13 and Gollum last. 🤷‍♂️ everyone’s palate is different.

Blinds are always interesting and quite informative.

A3DC7E68-3A4D-4E99-A311-A92D7D7FBD36.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Round 2. This was super tough. All three are fantastic. I eliminated what turned out to be Saffell. Again it was a back and forth between the other two and I ended up choosing Gollum as my winner and the RR13 second. 

My cousins order was Saffell, RR13 and Gollum last. 🤷‍♂️ everyone’s palate is different.

Blinds are always interesting and quite informative.

A3DC7E68-3A4D-4E99-A311-A92D7D7FBD36.jpeg

I want to be part of your family!  My family bitches about who is going to bring what to the holiday get together.  Your family enjoys bourbon tastings.  I am available most holidays.  Just let me know where and what side dish to bring.

• I like it 2

I found a good example of tasting for one variable this evening.    I tasted side by side a Three Chord 12 Bar Reserve  and the new Dickel Single Barrel 15-year.    Same Dickel,  same exact 50.6 proof.    The one key difference is three additional years of age (well,  two key differnces - one's a blended small batch, the other's a single barrel).  

They smell exactly the same, and they are both mature,  rich and drink easy for the proof.   The three extra years take more of the edge off the notorious Dickel minerality (which I love) and temper it with the burr of dry old oak.   

Instructive fun,  luxurious pours.  

• I like it 2

On 7/15/2021 at 5:44 PM, Guss West said:

Finishing off a Balcones Pot Still Bourbon.  

While it's gotten better with air, I don't see replacing it. 

I'll require a taste before investing in any other Balcones; as I hear some of their stuff is quite good.  I'm batting 0/2 at Balcones.  

I had a bottle of the Pot Still Bourbon and,  like you,  thought it was okay but have never been motivated to replace it.    The price is good for craft.   

I appreciate what Balcones does,  but I don't drink too much of their whiskey.   Their one absolutely killer product,  which I unhesitatingly recommend,  is the True Blue,  100 proof blue corn whiskey.    Sweet and buttery-oily,  it's dessert in a glass.   

• I like it 2

Ready July's BOTM got me in this direction, and I'm glad it did. Everyone is spot when saying how this is just the right amount of a vanilla explosion. 

20210717_195521.jpg

• I like it 6

I did a palate reset recently by focusing on a bottle of WTR101.  I call it the tingly.  The reset was successful as tonight I am enjoying a pour or two of 1792 Single Barrel.  It was good before the reset.  Now, it is great.

• I like it 1

Having a KC SP mixed with an appropriate amount of Distiller's Cut. I'm toasting you Frank and wishing you a fast recovery.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.