What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

16 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Was in my Costco today. And they a BIB bourbon for sale. The label said it was made by Barton. Just wondering if anyone had tried the Kirkland BIB bourbon. The price was 36.95 for a 1 L bottle

I bought one, and I dig it!  Not ultra complex, but a step about the SmB that they previously released.  Not a bad sipper at all.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Jazzhead, I just now saw your post. Hope it's not too late for me to buy a plane ticket to your neck of the woods and join you for tasting those blends? Seriously, I'd really love to hear more about how that blend turned out. 🥃🎺

Cheers!

Nancy

Hi Nancy!   If you're ever in the Philly area,  let me know and the pours are on the house! 

I thought the AAA/Laws blend worked out well.   I recently posted that I have yet to try a four-grain that killed me.   So I was fiddling around with my open bottle of Laws,  which is obviously well made  but a bit dull.   I've been having fun with my dusty bottle of AAA,  blending it with several craft bourbons to try to get less grain-forward and more "classic" bourbon flavors.   There isn't a hint of cinnamon in the Laws,  but there is in the AAA.   The AAA also ups the rye spice,  which I like.   

The only point of a blend,  I think,  is to create a whole greater than the sum of its parts.   Sometimes it works,  sometimes it just dont.  I like the Little Book series,  where the idea of blending is embraced for its own sake.   

- Kurt

I spent the day removing two 20’ Allspice bushes near the pool.  Not a fun day.  I decided to medicate with a solid pour of  2020 WLW.  It might require a second dose.  Let’s hope.

I am far too old to be throwing a spud bar for 4 hours.

• I like it 5

I'm visiting my old friend VOB 100.  I had to drive across town to my favorite liquor store for this.  I happened to see several other items I want to come back and get.  Clerk even offered me a pour of a barrel they selected (Carl Huber).  I thanked but declined, maybe next time.  It was early, and I had a bunch of stuff to do.

• I like it 3

Noah's Mill is in the glass tonight,  and the sounds are straight from the City of Lights,  where Art Simmons led a trio at the Mars Club and other Parisian habitats of the lush life for many years after the War.   Simmons was a kid from Beckley,  West Virginia who helped liberate Europe and stayed on to make his life there as a working jazzmen.  As far as I know this is his only 20210813_222714.thumb.jpg.a798667b879436485eee5d60e20736a4.jpgdate as a leader.

• I like it 6

It’s been awhile since I’ve had the Old Forester since finished my previous bottles. Decided on a fresh bottle crack of the 1910 and 1920 with a combined swirlee of the “1915.”  I had forgotten how enjoyable these are and glad these are now opened to grab for quick sips here and there. 

E067FB7C-2412-491E-A179-F1B1E9BD6656.jpeg

• I like it 7

I also cracked a bottle of OF 1920 last night.  Quite enjoyable while listening to Sergeant Pepper outtakes form the 50th Anniversary 2 LP re-issue  from a few years back

• I like it 3

On 8/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, Jazzhead said:

A long workday is finely done,  and I'm fooling around with blends,  mixing an Ancient Ancient Age (a dusty from around fifteen years ago)  with four-grain Laws BIB.    Not bad, not bad at all. 

That's Philly trumpeter Ted Curson in the painting.

20210809_230818.jpg

Wasn’t dusty AA from 15 years ago 10 year and not 10 Star?

FRYL from the freezer on the 3rd day of +100 degree heat index.  I'm sooo boring but sooo happy.  Grilled burgers on pita bread with fresh tabooli with mint from the garden.  YUMMO!  😋

• I like it 4

After a few days dabbling in scotch and Japanese whisky, it's back to basics tonight. Ahhh.

20210814_191544.jpg

• I like it 6

17 minutes ago, Kepler said:

After a few days dabbling in scotch and Japanese whisky, it's back to basics tonight. Ahhh.

20210814_191544.jpg

I loved that whiskey!  Been a while since I’ve had it, but the memories of it are really good.  

32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I loved that whiskey!  Been a while since I’ve had it, but the memories of it are really good.  

Yeah I'm a fan.  It's a dang good one.

Grabbed a bottle of Joseph Magness at a local Bourbon Gallery inside a FW & GS PA store on our way to a pre-40th Anniversary dinner. (Anniversary is tomorrow)

Back home now and sipping a little Heavens Door straight bourbon.   Breaking out the champagne tomorrow to celebrate 40 years of marital bliss......

• I like it 12

It's a Beam themed night tonight for me.  The JB Distillers was a good opening.  Now on to Knob Creek 12 Yr, my first crack of this one finally.  It's really good.  Right now I'm doing a SBS with a 9yr KCSiB store pick.  First impressions are that they are in the same ballpark, but the KC12 has a little bit different tasting note than I normally get from KC that I can't quite nail down.  It's a pleasant note and quite enjoyable.

• I like it 5

Enjoying a little pour of OF paper label. I've had the bottle open for a bit, but I haven't consumed much of the bottle. Loaded with good 'ole brown sugar   Quite nice. 

Cheers

• I like it 4

Beam Bonded to finish things up on this fine Sunday.  

• I like it 3

Had a "bourbon night" last night where are there are always great pours, both vintage and modern, being poured.

A 2020 Lot B made an appearance. While I.m usually pretty ho-hum about Lot B, this bottle was stellar with a deep, rich nose and palate to match.  It had a lot of competition but it was pretty memorable. A local store pick of WFP was also pretty tasty.

20210814_215903.jpg

• I like it 10

Not a normal Monday at work today. 🤔 It was great for a change! :o I won’t bore y’all with the details, but I will say that the change of pace was nice. On the back patio relaxing with a pour from a ps BT. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be as decent. 🤞

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

on the back deck (before it goes away), BBQ'ing a couple of steaks, and a small pour of RRSib over some clear ice cubes my wife brought home for me.  The RRSiB is great, the ice is just cold.

• I like it 5

VOB 100, definitely tasting the banana notes tonight.  Not a bad thing mind you.

• I like it 2

Tried this after my grandpas memorial service. We had a good send off and he’s in a better place. Cheers!

9DDC012B-A496-45E1-9699-F3EE2A288E2F.jpeg

• I like it 17

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.