What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A small pour of OF Statesman after watching Washington and Green Bay.  Probably should have made it a large one but am waiting to see what I feel like having with dinner.

• I like it 1

I’m drinking some Jim Beam in a Glencairn  with no apologies.  It is a good product. I have spent a lot of money on high end bourbons and have enjoyed all tiers.  But sometimes a guy needs to put a pot roast in the oven, watch some football, and drink a little white label before supper. 

• I like it 10

Watching a rainy game between SF and Indy while drinking some WTKS. This is the first WTKS bottle I’ve had that’s inferior to the standard WT101. At this point, I’m just trying to finish it and move on. I’m really not a fan of this barrel.

18 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Watching a rainy game between SF and Indy while drinking some WTKS. This is the first WTKS bottle I’ve had that’s inferior to the standard WT101. At this point, I’m just trying to finish it and move on. I’m really not a fan of this barrel.

Sorry to hear that.   Sounds disappointing.  We have all been there on single barrels but some just don't hit our wheelhouse.  

• I like it 1

Had a small pour of WW Outryder earlier. 😋 I have a feeling this bottle won’t be round much longer. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

On 10/24/2021 at 3:46 PM, Grain Belt said:

I’m drinking some Jim Beam in a Glencairn  with no apologies.  It is a good product. I have spent a lot of money on high end bourbons and have enjoyed all tiers.  But sometimes a guy needs to put a pot roast in the oven, watch some football, and drink a little white label before supper. 

I've told this story before but it bears repeating in light of your post. About 5 years I was in China for two weeks and there was nary a bourbon to be found. (We were staying with friends and when traveling from city to city were staying in hostels which are actually quite nice over there). Our last night we stayed at a hotel in Shanghai which catered to western business travelers. It was there that I drank Jim Beam White Label out of a wine glass and after two weeks of no bourbon it was the best bourbon I had ever tasted.

• I like it 7

A few small pours early this evening. BT was good. Weller SR was better. WW Outryder really hit the spot yet again. 😋 With regards to  the above post by @Kjbarth, I’m very tempted to have a pour of Blanton’s. Maybe after supper while watching The World Series. 😉 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

The event I went to tonight had a whiskey and bacon tasting sponsored by Woodford Reserve. Regular, rye, malt, and Double Oaked were each paired with an "artisan" bacon.

The DO with bacon drizzled with 2 kinds of chocolate won for me.

20211026_200638.jpg

• I like it 7

Sipping a George Remus side by side with a Smoke Wagon Small Batch.   Advantage - Smoke Wagon.   The Remus has some notes of hay that are blended into honey in the Smoke Wagon.   Could be older barrels as part of the SW blend, or the difference in mashbills:  SW,  I understand, is all MGP high-rye,  while the Remus includes MGP low rye.

Smoke Wagon Small Batch is a tremendous daily drinker,  and its increasing availability in these parts is the best bourbon development of 2021, IMO.  Who needs Buffalo Trace?  

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

Sipping a George Remus...  Who needs Buffalo Trace?  

I love BT and BT products.  But... the fight to get them sometimes is fun, but I'm getting jollies finding other interesting flavors.  Thanks to PaulO I'm sipping "craft" Green Brier and enjoying it immensely.  Is it better $ for $ value than eagle rare, no, but it's a great change of pace and it's here in my hand.

• I like it 3

On 10/25/2021 at 9:52 PM, flahute said:

... About 5 years I was in China for two weeks and there was nary a bourbon to be found....It was there that I drank Jim Beam White Label out of a wine glass and after two weeks of no bourbon it was the best bourbon I had ever tasted.

Bourbon situation in China much worse now due to tariffs.  They do still get some imports from UK, Japan (even though still animosity).  I don't know about Taiwan imports into China.  Taiwan angling to be major quality whisky exporter.  Taiwan is the 4th largest Scotch importer.  

But with all of that said, China produces a lot of white whisky as well as soju.  Some of the white distilled spirit produced in China is unique.

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

The event I went to tonight had a whiskey and bacon tasting sponsored by Woodford Reserve. Regular, rye, malt, and Double Oaked were each paired with an "artisan" bacon.

The DO with bacon drizzled with 2 kinds of chocolate won for me.

20211026_200638.jpg

Can't fool me, Tim.  You were enchanted by the tall brunette!   Was your wife nearby???   😋

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Can't fool me, Tim.  You were enchanted by the tall brunette!   Was your wife nearby???   😋

At a trade show..so no Mrs. Clueby. The tall brunette was very nice...because she kept giving me pours of WRDO! The Woodford Malt isn't too bad.

• I like it 2

On 10/25/2021 at 4:16 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Had a small pour of WW Outryder earlier. 😋 I have a feeling this bottle won’t be round much longer. 

Biba! Joe

Hey @fishnbowljoe! Do you happen to know which year/bottling you have? 

FYI, this week I'm working on a 10 year Bourbon release from WW, which is a project I'm co-blending with Steve Nally. 

At any rate, hope you're enjoying your bottle of Outryder! 

Cheers, 
Nancy

IMG_8172.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 5

12 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

FYI, this week I'm working on a 10 year Bourbon release from WW, which is a project I'm co-blending with Steve Nally. 

Cheers, 
Nancy

IMG_8172.jpg

Those are the most nicely written tasting notes I think I've ever seen!! (I feel like a solid 20% of my notes are illegible, which is only slightly worse than 15% of anything I handwrite being illegible! :lol:)

Shuffling stuff in the cabinet I ran across a 375 mL bottle I had made 4+ years ago with equal parts (I think 1 oz each) from all 10 Four Roses recipes. I labeled it 'Barrel Proof FRYL' (although doubt that the yellow label was equal parts; I recall being thrilled to have had acquired all 10 recipes from single barrel picks, and making this bottle - which was pretty good!)  Down to the last couple of pours, and really digging it.  I could say "Why didn't I make more of this??" but that would be disingenuous as I remember several of those bottles being ah-freaking-mazing all on their own (some lovely nearly 12 yr OBSO Jim Rutledge gift shop picks from 2015, some GBS picks from 2014, etc).  Won't be able to ever recreate this, so definitely taking the time to smell the roses . . . and sip them :)  

• I like it 2

Watching the Braves trying some MM46 CS that I picked up at Costco this afternoon since I got sent back today to grab some Christmas Gifts for the kids. Wife’s concerned about the supply chain.

Not sure how I feel about the MM46 CS yet. 

3 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers, 
Nancy

I’m totally enjoying the Outryder Nancy. 👌  Thanks.

No Batch info. Below are a couple of pics of the bottle. How are things in Kirby?  You ever make it to that restaurant in Greybull I told you about? 

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.ed605878867628679e8018dc14547e3a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4f04c04ca220c61a47f4b039f4038cc8.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.