What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Little M10 rye as I light a charcoal chimney for some burgers/dogs for the kids. Roasted chestnuts for the adults to tide us over until steak and mushrooms. 

No picture as it’s pretty much the exact same as yesterday. Just as pretty, just as relaxing. 

• I like it 2

Went to my liquor store hoping to pick up a bottle of Balcones Tres Hombres.  Since I had no luck ( it ma be a Texas release only)., I picked up a bottle of Heavens Door bourbon. Not a bad whiskey but the taste reminds me of Jack Daniel’s. 

3DB54365-606C-4E35-ACCE-CBF34DC948B7.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 11/3/2021 at 7:47 PM, bayouredd said:

While prepping for Halloween, Kids & Grandkids, I got the news of My Best Friend who was also my 1st Cousin, loosing the battle to cancer. This was on Friday & I can't even remember if I had a pour Fri or Sat. I think not.

I did have Family over & did enjoy the life that they injected into me. When engaged, the funk subsided & they seemed to have a blast which was the priority.

Halloween, which is also my birthday, warranted the last pour of my fav bottle. It may not be for most, but the PH10 heavy char is the best bottle that I have had. It is also too good to "not" share so after a dab to a guest, we took turns with sips of the fine elixir while toasting a Grand Friend...

I tried to keep a good bottle going, so I uncorked these 2...

My 1st taste of the Remus & I find it quite good. A cherry-cola thing with a chocolate finish. How can that be a bad thing...

Sorry for your loss..

It's been a long time since I've had this one.  Mrs. Skinsfan likes it more than I do, but it's a solid, easy sipper.

20211105_190344.jpg

• I like it 4

On 11/3/2021 at 6:47 PM, bayouredd said: we took turns with sips of the fine elixir while toasting a Grand Friend...

Sorry for your loss Redd. Glad to hear you were able to commiserate with loved ones. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What are we making??

Brisket, pork shoulder, smoked Mac and cheese, smoked apple crisp. All pretty good. Leftovers for the next few days.

• I like it 5

First fire of the season in the outdoor fireplace, with a BT.  

5D08EBD4-9926-48A9-9CB5-939D0F8DD318.jpeg

• I like it 11

23 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

OGD BiB getting smoker and meat ready for an early AM start.

You should cross post those excellent results here.

• I like it 2

Doing a sbs with 2 different MM 10 staves. The Chocolate Carmel Streudel is aptly named. It has a distinct chocolate note. The other one is called "Pitter Patter". The MM46 staves really make an impact and give it a spicier, longer finish. The both start out very similarly with caramel and chocolate with CCS being a little richer on the front and mid palate and PP really bringing home a solid finish with added baking spices.

20211105_200941.jpg

20211105_200947.jpg

• I like it 2

On 11/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Been MIA for awhile now. Job change meant much less computer time, then had difficulties connecting to the website from my phone, and admittedly also am a bit disenchanted with the current bourbon world. I have been lurking and liking though. :)

Tomorrow is my 10 year wedding anniversary and Sunday is the wife’s birthday so we packed up up the car and drove down to Mammoth Cave, Ky for a little trip with the kiddos.

Left early this AM and after a stop at dinosaur World checked into our lakeside Airbnb cabin. Enjoying some GW4G on the deck while the wife and kids explore. Then a much needed rest before firing up the grill for some skirt steak tacos. Mammoth Cave tomorrow followed by some 10 year themed pours and a big ol Porterhouse for two. Weather looks to be 50-55 and sunny all weekend. Yep, it’s going to be a wonderful time!

4D230849-D69C-467A-A36B-850FF9746554.jpeg

We missed you! Good to see you posting again.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Doing a sbs with 2 different MM 10 staves. The Chocolate Carmel Streudel is aptly named. It has a distinct chocolate note. The other one is called "Pitter Patter". The MM46 staves really make an impact and give it a spicier, longer finish. The both start out very similarly with caramel and chocolate with CCS being a little richer on the front and mid palate and PP really bringing home a solid finish with added baking spices.

20211105_200941.jpg

20211105_200947.jpg

I find it interesting that MM has decided to eschew the mocha for the mendiant staves option. After some experience with various stave selections, I decided to avoid any of the these offerings that had mocha staves. All my favorites of this series have had zero mocha staves. I recall a group (the name escapes me) that even had a MM PS titled “No Mocha No Cry”, yet I’ve heard very little talk of any outright disdain for mocha staves. Plenty of people seem to like it. I always got a bitter note from the mocha. Out of curiosity, can you tell a difference between the mendiant and mocha?

I picked up a Rebel Distiller’s Collection TW pick and I’m liking it quite a bit. I’ll likely grab a backup before it’s gone. I’d really like to find a Cask Strength bottle.

3B91EDD3-57D3-4CA8-AD2C-DB1F991D5BB5.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

First fire of the season in the outdoor fireplace, with a BT.  

5D08EBD4-9926-48A9-9CB5-939D0F8DD318.jpeg

jealous

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

We’ll how far along I get on these starting with W12.

B6284981-BCBE-445D-ADD7-D905C0B8062A.jpeg

I'd probably start and stop with weller, love the 12

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I find it interesting that MM has decided to eschew the mocha for the mendiant staves option. After some experience with various stave selections, I decided to avoid any of the these offerings that had mocha staves. All my favorites of this series have had zero mocha staves. I recall a group (the name escapes me) that even had a MM PS titled “No Mocha No Cry”, yet I’ve heard very little talk of any outright disdain for mocha staves. Plenty of people seem to like it. I always got a bitter note from the mocha. Out of curiosity, can you tell a difference between the mendiant and mocha?

Both of these PS use mendiant and I don't have any mocha right now to compare to. From what I know of the difference and remember of flavor profiles, there is more char with mocha as its defined as "high and fast" roast while mendiant is "low and slow". That might add to a little more bitter, woody notes. I'm just speculating. These PS bottles seem a lot more "integrated" than ones I've had in the past. Maker's has really stepped up their game lately with PS selections, MM101, M46CS, etc.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I'd probably start and stop with weller, love the 12

Depends on the day at least for the first three, really disappointed with the Smmoth Ambler.  My fault for thinking these new 5 years would be anywhere close to the old 10+ year ones.

Today the EW 12 year kicked butt.

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 2

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

20211105_200941.jpg

20211105_200947.jpg

The "Pitter Patter" isn't a Canadian whiskey? 🤣

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, DeepCover said:

I picked up a Rebel Distiller’s Collection TW pick and I’m liking it quite a bit. I’ll likely grab a backup before it’s gone. I’d really like to find a Cask Strength bottle.

3B91EDD3-57D3-4CA8-AD2C-DB1F991D5BB5.jpeg

Interesting…

On 11/4/2021 at 9:03 PM, Kjbarth said:

OGD BiB getting smoker and meat ready for an early AM start.

22 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What are we making??

18 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Brisket, pork shoulder, smoked Mac and cheese, smoked apple crisp. All pretty good. Leftovers for the next few days.

18 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You should cross post those excellent results here.

Link to post in What’s on the smoker thread HERE

Not sure that ^^^^^^ worked, trying again.

19 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Today made brisket and pork shoulder on my WSM, and smoked Mac and cheese and smoked apple crisp both on my Weber kettle.

CF90E15B-E904-4A89-9B45-815942BF3908.thumb.jpeg.688df857e0aedc0d61ce1793c03abd74.jpeg7C21D240-624C-4DF2-BB22-3CF7BADEBEA7.thumb.jpeg.245f536211f35f7de55f2b35cb049d6d.jpegBCBD77B6-0D73-4C77-95BA-4BC4D95096E9.thumb.jpeg.82aca4165da44edbe93b0436c258efbc.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 1

Repeat of grilled marinated salmon burgers and WRAAA blend.  The only thing missing is a nice gentle rain.  The only thing added is Mrs. Bret Bret saying how much yard work there is to do since it is so nice out.  One more pour and bourbon Zen will be achieved!!!

1106211417.jpg

• I like it 2

On 11/5/2021 at 2:37 AM, B.B. Babington said:

...2oz mckenna 10 yr BIB bottled 2/4/10, good, of course, but not exceptional

2oz mckenna 10 yr BIB bottled 9/30/04 super up front, average after...

light bulb woke up.  these dates are "barreled" not "bottled"

they say mental acuity at it's height about 25.  but we compensate failing faculties with wisdom that comes from age.  I suspect peak of acuity vs wisdom about 40 and it's downhill from there.  so's I've sled, slid, skied a looong way down that hill by now.

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

light bulb woke up.  these dates are "barreled" not "bottled"

they say mental acuity at it's height about 25.  but we compensate failing faculties with wisdom that comes from age.  I suspect peak of acuity vs wisdom about 40 and it's downhill from there.  so's I've sled, slid, skied a looong way down that hill by now.

Yes, that is apparent, but you're among friends.   Keep up the good work!

36 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Repeat of grilled marinated salmon burgers and WRAAA blend.  The only thing missing is a nice gentle rain.  The only thing added is Mrs. Bret Bret saying how much yard work there is to do since it is so nice out.  One more pour and bourbon Zen will be achieved!!!

1106211417.jpg

Yard looks good to me.   May the salmon burger bring satori!!!

And, it's a might early, yet I am sipping a little BT, celebrating our purchase,  this past Thursday,  of a  little log cabin down the lane.    Actually, up the lane, and just about an hour from the Ohio stores n Youngstown, not that I was  looking, y'understand.

Edited by G L Tirebiter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.