What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Frank, i’m a Weller Whore, and you’re a Four Grain Fiend! 🥃 

Biba! Joe

But, but - I just opened a 2019 WLW tonite for some friends.  Can I still come and drink with you???   🥰

59 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

But, but - I just opened a 2019 WLW tonite for some friends.  Can I still come and drink with you???   🥰

You might wanna stay where you’re at Frank. It’s supposed to get down to -13°  here tonight. 🥶

Drivin home after buying almost a case of these.. could smell these suckers in the back seat.  Tons of brown sugar. For those that have had a pour of this.. does it come close to any of the pre-boom legendary MGP bottlings? This is one great pour.

05C24AE5-BF21-41EC-84F6-0B323C9CAC5E.jpeg

• I like it 7

3 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Drivin home after buying almost a case of these.. could smell these suckers in the back seat.  Tons of brown sugar. For those that have had a pour of this.. does it come close to any of the pre-boom legendary MGP bottlings? This is one great pour.

Read my post above yours in the “best bottles released in 2021” thread.

13 minutes ago, 0895 said:

So pretty strong in your opinion. That says a lot.  Looks like its comprised of bourbon from the exact same time period of those SAOS bottles.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

I really enjoyed this one as well.  Very Nice.

• I like it 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:27 AM, PaulO said:

I was thinking whoever wins the coin toss wins this, and I was right.

Maybe consider letting both teams have a possession, regardless of first possession TD, or simply play all the time on the clock to the end like in a normal quarter.

I like the idea of another full quarter played with regular rules.  And another on top of that if necessary., etc.  Another option is to go to a baseball style 'innings' format where  the home team gets the ball second no matter what to get a chance to match.  And if it's still tied, play another 'inning.'  Eliminate PATs and make teams go for 2 to create some variation.    Hell, eliminate OT in the regular season and have more ties for all I care if we're worried about games going too long.

Can you imagine other sports following this current football model?  Hockey and basketball make sense because possessions are so much more numerous, but in sports with a limited number of possessions?  Walk off games in baseball in the TOP of the 10th?   A golfer gets a birdie on a playoff hole and the opponent doesn't get a chance to match that?  

College football recognized this.  I don't support their model per se, but at least it's fair.  Time for the NFL to change...

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, markandrex said:

Opened up some WR Woodford  Very Fine Rare bourbon this evening.

Lovely stuff.  Mine is long gone,  but well  remembered.

Broken down by SB again!

Not a bad pour, but not as good as ET. Bitter-sweet on frontend and dark chocolate oak on the backend; not too complex but damn affordable. In this price range. I'll stick to OF86 & 100 on re-purchase; however this will be enjoyed for what it is, just the same...

20220127_183345.thumb.jpg.bdec05d263dbe39ab7fb1f0f80908170.jpg

• I like it 6

After a stroll through the scotch department trying to decide whether to stock up on an upcoming Binny's coupon (tiny pours), I fell back into more comfortable territory like a favorite pair of jeans, aka bourbon. The fruity nature of Speyside/Highland scotch made OF100 sound like a good idea, which it was; followed up with some VOB100, which I haven't had in a while. Both benefited from a small splash of water. probably a leftover from the scotch tastings. Why am I looking at pricier scotches when these are so good at half the price?!?

• I like it 5

Wife had retired (remember the Old Ezra 15 yr. post from December).  Well the tornados that blew through KY put her old company in a tight place in trying to work all the claims so they brought her back to help out.  Today was her last day . . . again.  Went to the local pizza place for a pizza that has Old Forrester BBQ sauce.  She made a pan of brownies so with the snowy cold weather outside I grabbed a couple of brownies and a healthy pour of 12 year (old style bottle) EC.  Goes great with the brownies.

• I like it 9

11 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Wife had retired (remember the Old Ezra 15 yr. post from December).  Well the tornados that blew through KY put her old company in a tight place in trying to work all the claims so they brought her back to help out.  Today was her last day . . . again.  Went to the local pizza place for a pizza that has Old Forrester BBQ sauce.  She made a pan of brownies so with the snowy cold weather outside I grabbed a couple of brownies and a healthy pour of 12 year (old style bottle) EC.  Goes great with the brownies.

Cheers to ya’ Kevin, and happy 2nd retirement to your wife! 🥂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Thanks Joe.  We're not big travelers but we plan on taking a bunch of day trips to KY places that have wineries and distilleries.  Find a local place for lunch, see if there's any little local shops and hit the wineries and distilleries.  

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Wow, pizza made with OF BBQ sauce sounds awesome!  So, does brownies and EC 12-year on a cold snowy evening.

Kudos to your wife for temporarily coming out of retirement to assist processing claims so that people affected by the horrible tragedy wrought by the tornadoes can start rebuilding their lives quickly.

• I like it 3

Appreciate the kinds words.  I told her the day after the tornados hit that I was sure that they would call her and see if she would help.  She didn't surprise me when she said if they called she would do it.  

And, in keeping with my "you can't buy that anymore" drink list tonight I've moved on from the EC to some HH BIB.  I have just over two bottles left so I try to limit my intake.  I'm still mad at the Shapiro's for dropping it from the lineup.  It was one of those things that we Kentuckians could get and enjoy.  Made us feel a little bit special.

• I like it 4

On 1/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, FasterHorses said:

On 1/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, 0895 said:

On 1/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, FasterHorses said:

So pretty strong in your opinion. That says a lot.  Looks like its comprised of bourbon from the exact same time period of those SAOS bottles.

I'm glad this one is finally getting its due.  I've wondered for a couple years now why people chase their tails to find a bottle of Smoke Wagon when this one had been sitting on the shelf at a fair price. Now it won't be setting on shelves any longer but that's ok.  I'm just glad more people will be enjoying more good bourbon.

I probably should have picked up a version 5 but I passed this time. I still have a version 2 open plus maybe 20 bottles of SAOS from the good old days (which were actually only a few years ago.  Sigh).

To answer your question yes it comes close to some of those SAOS single barrels.  Not nearly as good as the best honey barrels (which are among the best bourbons in my collection including the big guns), but about as good as a random barrel and probably better than some mediocre SAOS barrels.  Enjoy drinking your score!

Edited by Kepler
Remus version 2 open, not 3. Fixed.
  • I like it 2

Short pour Friday... (bout 1oz pours)

Started with a SS ER

Moved on to a 4R Select

Then 1792 (couple of those - tasty)

Last Dettling 111pf

The palate was kind, all were real good, but 1792 won the night

Ended consumption with a hearty bowl of gumbo (chicken, sausage, shrimp & crab)

• I like it 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, bayouredd said:

Broken down by SB again!

Not a bad pour, but not as good as ET. Bitter-sweet on frontend and dark chocolate oak on the backend; not too complex but damn affordable. In this price range. I'll stick to OF86 & 100 on re-purchase; however this will be enjoyed for what it is, just the same...

20220127_183345.thumb.jpg.bdec05d263dbe39ab7fb1f0f80908170.jpg

To me, Brown Foreman bourbon (Old Fo, Early Times, WR) and HH bourbon like this EW couldn't be more different.  I think I can confidently say that if my palate were strongly in the mood for one of them, I would not want the other.  I personally would never compare them directly without a disclaimer. 

To my palate anyway, BF juice is ALWAYS fruit forward, maybe floral (?) and young tasting, whereas HH always displays a darker nuttiness that is the opposite of fruit forward or floral.  Neither are extremely balanced for me.  Among the $20 bottles, Wild Turkey 101 hits the "balanced" bullseye better than any other bottle.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, lemonman said:

After a stroll through the scotch department trying to decide whether to stock up on an upcoming Binny's coupon (tiny pours), I fell back into more comfortable territory like a favorite pair of jeans, aka bourbon. The fruity nature of Speyside/Highland scotch made OF100 sound like a good idea, which it was; followed up with some VOB100, which I haven't had in a while. Both benefited from a small splash of water. probably a leftover from the scotch tastings. Why am I looking at pricier scotches when these are so good at half the price?!?

Plus no bourbon ever tastes like band-aids or iodine.  So there's that.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.