What Bourbon Are You Drinking Summer 2022?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/18/2022 at 8:33 PM, hughewil said:

When I was doing my whiskey bracket head to heads one of the ones I ran into was 1792 small batch against OG 1920.  Going between glasses just made each better so I decided to try a blend  2 parts 1792/ 1 part 1920.  I encourage others to give it a try, it's fruity, cherry, oak.

blend.thumb.jpg.733574ea2f958f79c2bbe434dda50e1a.jpg

Excellent idea.  My iteration, based on my open bottles, is OF1897 BIB and 1792 Full Proof.   The blend seems to amp up the oakiness while retaining the basic flavor notes of the OF.   It reminds me of the extra aged WR Old Fine bourbon from a couple of years ago,  but with more kick.

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Jazz with Saz is nazzzzzz

😎😎😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

RR13 with a left-over sirloin strip from Capital Grille.  Puurrrrrfect!   😋

• I like it 8

uh, er, um, well, you might not believe, been Fireball all night, and enjoying it.

• I like it 1

I'm back at one of my staples - EW 1783.  It's classic Bourbon profile to me.

• I like it 3

Lately I’ve been having pours of either MM or BT. The last week or so has been pretty hectic. I’m retired, and that ain’t supposed to happen. So after a very busy day, I climbed the Weller Ladder last night. I treated myself to small pours of SR, OWA, my 2021 Weller Blend, CYPB, and last but certainly not least, 2020 WLW. ‘Nuff Ced. 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Lately I've been blending bourbons for fun. I've tried BT/Belle Meade Reserve, EC SmB/EC BP, and BT/Smoke wagon unfiltered.

I try to blend them all in the 100-107 proof area. I let them sit around about a week, sometimes two. The results are kinda nice. It's a way for me to get rid of bottles that have 2-4 fingers left in them, and play mad scientist at the same time.

• I like it 3

I decided 4RYL needed a buddy in the garage freezer. It was a good decision. 

2C3B9854-EE98-46F5-A3F6-C7AC87BC13AE.jpeg

• I like it 5

42 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I decided 4RYL needed a buddy in the garage freezer. It was a good decision. 

Ugh.

Our fridge died last week.

Im really missing my freezer bottle right now.

Hell, I’m really missing ice in my water right now.

• I like it 1

Followed up an empty bottle of HH7 with a … bottle of HH7.  Almost went with the Crown 16 Rye but im stayin with this for one more bottle

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, PaulO said:

So, somebody muled that back from Japan. 😉👍

”Somebody” did, but I’ve never been to Japan.

I’m just a 4R nerd getting his fix.

Seeings how I’m a fan of 4RYL, this was a natural acquisition for me at 6 proof points higher. 🥃🙂

• I like it 3

Switched to some 4RYL that I aged in my ex 4RSmB/SmBS manhattan barrel.

Lost about 1/3 of it to the Angels, but what I ended up with is pretty damn good, so no complaints.

Unfortunately there wasn’t really enough left to share with my friends. 😈

34A27FBD-2A18-40B7-8AB0-A1788ECDE2D2.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

”Somebody” did, but I’ve never been to Japan.

I’m just a 4R nerd getting his fix.

Seeings how I’m a fan of 4RYL, this was a natural acquisition for me at 6 proof points higher. 🥃🙂

How does it taste?  Compared to other standard offerings?

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Ugh.

Our fridge died last week.

Im really missing my freezer bottle right now.

Hell, I’m really missing ice in my water right now.

No refrigerator! That's no good. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

No refrigerator! That's no good. 

We have a small beer fridge in the basement, but that’s for beer! 😁  Someone put milk, butter, & eggs in there when I wasn’t looking though.

Apparently appliances are suffering from the same supply chain issues as everything else right now.  Thankfully we wanted white and it was in stock at the manufacturer.  Stainless and Black were 2-3 months for availability.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

We have a small beer fridge in the basement, but that’s for beer! 😁  Someone put milk, butter, & eggs in there when I wasn’t looking though.

Apparently appliances are suffering from the same supply chain issues as everything else right now.  Thankfully we wanted white and it was in stock at the manufacturer.  Stainless and Black were 2-3 months for availability.

Glad you posted @0895. We bought a new fridge last year. I was gonna recommend what we bought. We’re very happy with our stainless steel 21.0 cu ft Samsung. Day late and a fridge short I guess. :lol: Glad you found one you wanted.👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

How does it taste?  Compared to other standard offerings?

Good question.

I would say the best description for Super Premium  is a level up from 4RYL.  Still delicately complex, with a nice balance of fruit, spice, and oak.

Rumored to be a minimum of 8 years in the blend, I think it just adds more elegance to the bourbon.  If it was available in the US I would buy it regularly, however it wouldn’t eliminate YL from my house.

Both are great summer bourbons.

That being said, I find 4RYL to be one of the best 80 proofers available and enjoy it neat.  Those who don’t feel the same way, might have similar feelings about the SP.

As for the others, I’m not a fan of SmB or SmBS neat and tend to reserve those mostly for cocktail duty.

Single barrel products are in a class by themselves, so I won’t even compare that to the YL or SP

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Yes they are. On one of my projects earlier this year the contractor was on the owner to finalize appliance selections to get them on order and we didn't even have our building permit yet.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.