What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Went to a wheated bourbon blind tasting tonight. Ten samples and you ranked them from worst to best and they tallied the results.  The pic is the group consensus from L to R worst to best.

I actually picked MM Cask Strength as my #1, ORVW #2,  W12 as #3, and LBPC922 as #4. I think it was unanimous that Garrison was last.

20230216_192627.jpg

20230216_175051.jpg

Interesting idea to do a blind wheated tasting like this! Is it not difficult with 10 samples, seems like a lot?

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Obree said:

Interesting idea to do a blind wheated tasting like this! Is it not difficult with 10 samples, seems like a lot?

It was a bit difficult..and humbling.  Water between sips and after going thru them all once I had a snack and rested the palate for a few mins and started narrowing things down.  The bottom 1 was easy.  The top 3 or so was easy.  The middle of the pack was pretty difficult.  It was about 25 people combined ranking. 

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It was a bit difficult..and humbling.  Water between sips and after going thru them all once I had a snack and rested the palate for a few mins and started narrowing things down.  The bottom 1 was easy.  The top 3 or so was easy.  The middle of the pack was pretty difficult.  It was about 25 people combined ranking. 

I've found that generally there are three groups of spirit, despite the type.  Shit, good, and great. The shit and great usually stand out. The good, can pretty much be interchangeable.  For instance, if I'm in the mood for and Eagle Rare 10 and you hand me a Henry McKenna 10, I'm not complaining. 

• I like it 8

12 hours ago, Obree said:

Funny that the JO ranked so high, above the W12 even.

Edited by mal00768

During my bunker cleansing last weekend, I came across a couple of Maker’s 84 proof bottles from their ill fated attempt to address supply issues by lowering proof to 84 from 90.  Of course, despite announcing the change as permanent they quickly reversed the move due to brand loyalists outcries, and got a lot of press along the way (which many believed was their true goal, all along).  
Well, February 2023 marks the 10th anniversary of the  brouhaha, so I’m glad I found this and popped it open today for a weekend opening pour.  

7961B5D6-D832-4A4D-92D6-3C621444EE6D.jpeg

• I like it 6

Spent the past couple of days with some close friends skiing (and snowboarding) at Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondacks. Now home with my wife and 3yr old son (who just went to bed), with my feet up, enjoying a pour of A121 for my 40th birthday.

IMG_4381.jpg

• I like it 11

10 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Spent the past couple of days with some close friends skiing (and snowboarding) at Whiteface Mountain in the Adirondacks. Now home with my wife and 3yr old son (who just went to bed), with my feet up, enjoying a pour of A121 for my 40th birthday.

IMG_4381.jpg

Happy Birthday!  Cheers!🥃

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_4381.jpg

Happy Birthday!  Enjoy!

• I like it 2

Well, in the spirit (no pun intended) of EC barrel proof, and a steady bunker beatdown, I have opened one of my final four early releases. I can't recall the vintage, but it is quite flavorful. 

Pat

20230217_195154[3116].jpg

• I like it 12

3 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Well, in the spirit (no pun intended) of EC barrel proof, and a steady bunker beatdown, I have opened one of my final four early releases. I can't recall the vintage, but it is quite flavorful. 

Pat

Subtle flex 😄 That's the famously epic batch 1, no?   Enjoy!

I don't have one of those but looking at your post makes me want to have a pour of my favorite that I have in my stash.  Pouring some 136.0 batch 12 now! 

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Pat

29 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The post by @Patrick_OKC made up my mind on what to pour tonight!  Love this stuff

20230217_233517.thumb.jpg.31da2a9b59a56d64788abd37ac8c32d5.jpg

Those early ECBP bottles just sing!  Such great flavor.  The bottles have a nice aesthetic to boot. Enjoy!

Cheers

• I like it 4

32 minutes ago, Kepler said:

The post by @Patrick_OKC made up my mind on what to pour tonight!  Love this stuff

20230217_233517.thumb.jpg.31da2a9b59a56d64788abd37ac8c32d5.jpg

You get extra points for that glass too.

• I like it 2

I found a 14yr KCSiB PS in the back of the cabinet, I purchased this one s few years back when I was in a KCSiB phase.  A great whiskey, alas this is my only bottle. It was alone on the shelf. 

Cheers

• I like it 5

18 minutes ago, PaulO said:

You get extra points for that glass too.

Nice story about this glass.  Heaven Hill sent me that glass, I want to say sometime around 2015, just as an appreciation for being a customer.  I can't remember all the details but I had contacted their customer service department about something like distillery tours or something and for some reason the rep sent me a pair of these glasses as a token of appreciation.  The cynic in me kinda thought later it might have been because they were going to drop the 12 year age statement of EC Small Batch, so the 'Aged 12 Years' would no longer be of use to their marketing department ... so they wanted to clear out their inventory ( ? ) 

Regardless, I was impressed by their customer service and HH remains one of my favorite distilleries and from a "company/corporate" standpoint,  by far my most respected.  Not because of this glass, but just how they run things in general.

• I like it 5

58 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I found a 14yr KCSiB PS in the back of the cabinet, I purchased this one s few years back when I was in a KCSiB phase.  A great whiskey, alas this is my only bottle. It was alone on the shelf. 

Cheers

Sounds awesome.  I hope yours is as good as some of the 14 year KC picks I've tasted.  By far the best KC I've ever tasted was a 14 year barrel pick.  It was even better than the 15 year picks I've tasted.  Cheers

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

During my bunker cleansing last weekend, I came across a couple of Maker’s 84 proof bottles from their ill fated attempt to address supply issues by lowering proof to 84 from 90.  Of course, despite announcing the change as permanent they quickly reversed the move due to brand loyalists outcries, and got a lot of press along the way (which many believed was their true goal, all along).  
Well, February 2023 marks the 10th anniversary of the  brouhaha, so I’m glad I found this and popped it open today for a weekend opening pour.  

7961B5D6-D832-4A4D-92D6-3C621444EE6D.jpeg

Jesus, has it been that long!?

1 minute ago, BigRich said:

Jesus, has it been that long!?

I know!  It’s nuts how time flies.  

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Sounds awesome.  I hope yours is as good as some of the 14 year KC picks I've tasted.  By far the best KC I've ever tasted was a 14 year barrel pick.  It was even better than the 15 year picks I've tasted.  Cheers

My experience as well.  I had several 14yo BevMo picks that were some of the best whiskey I've ever had.  Better than the 15yo K&L pick that came along a year or so later. 

• I like it 3

I went witih a Russell Reserve Store pick for the day.  Loving these Russell store picks and always gotta pick it up whenever I can from local liquor shops.

• I like it 2

ECBP private barrel - picked this up the other day as I hadn't seen a barrel proof on a shelf in quite a while - great as usual (with a splash of water)

IMG_5423.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.