What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m toward the end of a bottle of EC Toasted. It’s been the most bizarre bottle I’ve ever had… one pour would be amazing and one of my favorites ever and the next pour would seem very mediocre. It’s been a wild ride

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I think the Specs pick is quite good.  Head & shoulders above the normal stuff.

Hopefully I will stop using alcohol to cope with less than perfect days (they all are).  Granted, that 2 ounces goes a lonnnnng way.

PS:  I'm presently an hour ahead of EST.

The  Inlet Harbour pick is very good too.

I don't care for the regular stuff and was very pleasantly surprised, and impressed, when I tried a sample.  

I bought a couple on the spot. I would've bought more, but we  flew down there, (Palm Beach), and only had so much room in our luggage. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Just a few sips of the entire 2022 Pappy/BTAC line last night + a sample of the WFE 9yr NCF bourbon L&K pick "All Neck Pour"  as part of "Go Whiskey" week:

Pappy & BTAC 2023.jpg

WLW was the ultimate choice for top dog of the night -  can't think of a better way to spend a cold, winter's (Mardi Gras) nite with 82 friends can you???   😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 17

A ECBP A122, last one but damn good. One more pour left.  Saw a thread a week or so ago about the A123, any others do a tasting? Nothing here in my AO. 

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Just a few sips of the entire 2022 Pappy/BTAC line last night + a sample of the WFE 9yr NCF bourbon L&K pick "All Neck Pour"  as part of "Go Whiskey" week:

Pappy & BTAC 2023.jpg

WLW was the ultimate choice for top dog of the night -  can't think of a better way to spend a cold, winter's (Mardi Gras) nite with 82 friends can you???   😋

Wow!   Well done Frank!

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Pappy & BTAC 2023.jpg

Frank you're the only one that can pull this off and it not be considered SHOWING OFF. :) Or...ughh...well. I'm a big fan no, BIG FAN of WLW but that Pappy 20 might squeeze out #1 for me. True envy looking at massive line up.  WOW what fun.

• I like it 1

Started out the night with a tasting of ORVW, Lot B, and PVW15. Also included 2022 GTS and THH. The Lot B surprised me. While light on proof I thought it was big on flavor actually besting out the Old Rip on a rare occasion. The ORVW was a little thin and grainy. The PVW15 was way better than either with such a nice elegant depth. Added notes of leather and tobacco. 

The GTS was good after those wheated pours with a real punch in the face but overall it lacked some wood and depth and was sweeter than I would have liked. 

The THH was my surprise. It was way off profile for typical THH with cotton candy and some candy corn notes. This was the dark version of THH with raisins, leather, and spice with a realllllly long finish. I personally loved it but admit it wasn't very THH-like. A tiny but of water brought out some more sweetness and a bit of that bubblegum note.

Also sampled some new 1792 bottled cocktailz..Manhattan and Old Fashioned. Wasn't a fan of either but the Manhattan was slightly better. Unusual for me since I'm more of an Old Fashioned guy.

Got home and broke out the OWA. I know it's not SBS but this seems better than the ORVW or the LOT B.  Some Wilderness Trail is on deck but Wednesday night is suddenly a little fuzzy so might not make it that far.

20230222_175512.jpg

20230222_205340.jpg

• I like it 8

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Pappy & BTAC 2023.jpg

The "new: ER17 at 101 proof has still eluded me. 

11 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Frank you're the only one that can pull this off and it not be considered SHOWING OFF. :) Or...ughh...well. I'm a big fan no, BIG FAN of WLW but that Pappy 20 might squeeze out #1 for me. True envy looking at massive line up.  WOW what fun.

Actually, the PVW20 showed extremely well this year and place second behind the WLW.  It was an exceptional bottle worth seeking out at MSRP - secondary prices are still crazy stupid (IMHO, of course), tho'!  🤩

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Got home and broke out the OWA. I know it's not SBS but this seems better than the ORVW or the LOT B.  Some Wilderness Trail is on deck but Wednesday night is suddenly a little fuzzy so might not make it that far.

Well Mrs. Clueby got home from a snuggle session with the grandbaby and there went the last of the OWA. 🤷‍♂️

Wilderness Trail it is.

• I like it 3

I know, I know - this is a BOURBON thread!  But I just posted last night's "Go Whiskey Week" Irish Whiskey tasting in the "What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023" with abbreviated tasting notes, in case anybody's interested .  🥰

Midelton tasting 2023.jpg

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 6

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I know, I know - this is a BOURBON thread!  But I just posted last night's "Go Whiskey Week" Irish Whiskey tasting in the "What Foreign Whiskey Are You Drinking 2023" with abbreviated tasting notes, in case anybody's interested .  🥰

That Redbreast 27 is pretty unique.  Notes of grapefruit.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

That Redbreast 27 is pretty unique.  Notes of grapefruit.

And mango!  😜

• I like it 1

WSR in the glass tonight.  It was a beautiful 80 and sunny today so, I’m sitting on the deck after enjoying the end of a spring like day.

• I like it 3

Wow!  This is really good.  I bought it on a whim with low expectations - you don't expect your local supermarket chain to pick great barrels...  Citrus and cinnamon on the nose.  Very sweet and spicy on the palate.  Not a trace of Beam nuttiness.  Delicious.  Grabbed the last bottle they had so.. when it's gone, it's gone. 😞

KC safeway pick.jpg

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

Wow!  This is really good.  I bought it on a whim with low expectations - you don't expect your local supermarket chain to pick great barrels...  Citrus and cinnamon on the nose.  Very sweet and spicy on the palate.  Not a trace of Beam nuttiness.  Delicious.  Grabbed the last bottle they had so.. when it's gone, it's gone. 😞

KC safeway pick.jpg

"you don't expect your local supermarket chain to pick great barrels..." so freaking jealous of that! Any idea what our supermarkets sell here? :D

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, jvd99 said:

My recent Yellowstone purchase turned out surprisingly good…I’ll probably get another

geclbxf is a big Yellowstone fan, you might swap notes with him.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:24 AM, Anwalt said:

geclbxf is a big Yellowstone fan, you might swap notes with him.

I have done numerous barrel picks - and it is REALLY GOOD for what it is.   I like the 93 shelfer for its value and availability - but the higher proof barrels are unique and tasty.   They might be "Heavenly" if you are following along the alleged origin story.

• I like it 2

On 2/17/2023 at 9:40 PM, Kepler said:

The post by @Patrick_OKC made up my mind on what to pour tonight!  Love this stuff

20230217_233517.thumb.jpg.31da2a9b59a56d64788abd37ac8c32d5.jpg

Well now y'all are going to make me snag one of these from the bunker.

• I like it 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:25 PM, IamMatt said:

Interesting that a lot of KC fans seem to think that KC 15 is overoaked but 14-15-yr old KC picks are the best. 

As Kepler said, the reason is simple. As someone who has picked numerous 14 and 15yr KCSiB's I can tell you that some of the barrels in the picking lineup were not very good. When you find a good one however it tends to be great. All those reject barrels are now ending up in the KC15 blend. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.