What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Decided to make my own version of Little Book Chapter 4.  Not bad. And a little cheaper per ounce than the real thing.  🤷‍♂️

20230210_200130.jpg

• I like it 7

Been hitting these three pretty hard in the past week. EC12 in the glass in this photo. 

FBAEA581-BFCF-40E0-B4A5-A2B3E4B884EB.jpeg

• I like it 12

21 minutes ago, flahute said:

Been hitting these three pretty hard in the past week. EC12 in the glass in this photo. 

FBAEA581-BFCF-40E0-B4A5-A2B3E4B884EB.jpeg

Heavy hitters.  Nice!

• I like it 1

Just finished a pour of Four Roses Small Batch in honor of the February BOTM.   

Reading through this thread it fired me up to renew my membership card... just poured a healthy sized dram of '17 LE.  All hail the Cult 🌹🌹🌹🌹

• I like it 8

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

Just finished a pour of Four Roses Small Batch in honor of the February BOTM.   

Reading through this thread it fired me up to renew my membership card... just poured a healthy sized dram of '17 LE.  All hail the Cult 🌹🌹🌹🌹

My man! The Cult remains strong.

A thick pour of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 yo as I while away the time this afternoon.  

DACE2BCF-E960-44C9-B875-6B77F275A61D.jpeg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

A thick pour of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 yo as I while away the time this afternoon.  

DACE2BCF-E960-44C9-B875-6B77F275A61D.jpeg

Have never seen such a bottle, but I want it!!!

Have a jealous salute... 

• I like it 1

Nothing tonight.  Doing an intermittent fast.  Sounds strange to do so over the weekend but Saturday evening through Sunday actually works out well.  I will probably do plenty of drinking tomorrow evening anyway.

• I like it 4

Had a pour of OGD114 followed up by OGD BiB.  For me I think I normally prefer the BiB most days, but tonight it's not close ...  the 114 by a mile.

• I like it 6

I’m in the midst of a serious bunker cleanse.  Finding stuff I didn’t know I had.  Finding stuff I wish I never had…Came upon this open Elliott’s Select.  It’s held up well, and drinking nicely.  

28A95A39-FA70-420D-BDA8-667965FFFC24.jpeg

• I like it 10

This is a triple post in that I purchased, opened, and am drinking a 4RSmB Select.

I have to say this is tasting better than I ever remember. This moist January I've been doing has resulted in a lot of palate rest which has resulted in some bourbons tasting different - much better and richer than I'm used to. This bourbon is benefitting from that.

• I like it 8

I’m having a celebratory glass of the WT 8  that I just received.  I walked to the mailbox and back without a cane/crutches.  That is a first in 8 months.  No marathons but I will take a small victory.  
This is the result of a significant high ankle sprain with ligament damage last July.  I have nothing but respect for Patrick Mahomes  after watching him play.

The WT is in the same profile as standard WT 101 but a little more oakey.  

• I like it 14

Just did a sbs of EW 1782 and HH6 green… very close. The HH was a little richer and the EW was thinner and not as flavorful… but very close. Someone mentioned this a few weeks ago and i wanted to put it to the test. Great comparison whoever that was

• I like it 7

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

I walked to the mailbox and back without a cane/crutches.  That is a first in 8 months.

Congrats.  8 months...that's some endurance.  Glad it's improving.

• I like it 2

ARGH!  Thought I was grabbing the Cedar Ridge (Iowa) rye I raved about yesterday (?) but grabbed a gifted local small batch "bourbon" @ 90 proof.  Paint thinner has tasted better (and, yeah, I got some in my mouth once or twice).  Poured the rest down the sink.  At least it is not a total loss - bottle is really thick so it is worth recycling.  Kitchen STILL smells like bad new make, though.  Dinner's over so the smell should be gone by tomorrow AM.

SO!

Cleansing my palate with a small ice cube added to THREE ounces (measured) of a 4R OBSK PS I picked up in 2015.  Distilled 16 APR 2005, barreled 4 MAY 2005, bottled 15 MAY 2015 at 52.6%.  About 3/4 inch left in the bottle.  I think it's going back on the shelf for a future palate rescue.

• I like it 9

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

I’m having a celebratory glass of the WT 8  that I just received.  I walked to the mailbox and back without a cane/crutches.  That is a first in 8 months.  No marathons but I will take a small victory.  
This is the result of a significant high ankle sprain with ligament damage last July.  I have nothing but respect for Patrick Mahomes  after watching him play.

The WT is in the same profile as standard WT 101 but a little more oakey.  

Well done and well deserved!

• I like it 1

Have spent over a year on and off working in Dalton GA. I been curious about Spirits of French Lick and they have a William Dalton Wheated. I saw some on a bar near the hotel I use when on this job so I had to give it a go. I am not a Wheated fan as my preferences run MUCH more to the rye side of life. I have to say this was very much like wheaters are advertised, it’s was sweet, soft and a pleasant, if basic pour. Makers has always struck me as harsh and when I hear of wheaters being softer in their presentation, I have had a hard time reconciling that with my experience. Wellers  strike an enjoyable middle ground for me with the 12 and 107 being my preference. This Dalton was what I expected when I discovered what Wheated bourbons were and heard of the attributes associated with them. This would be a fine occasional, change of pace type pour but I always miss the rye spice when it’s absent. Good thing there are so many types of whiskey to enjoy. I did enjoy it and if this is indicative of what Sof FL is doing then I need to try some of their other offers as well.

• I like it 6

William Dalton Wheated.

This is a good pour,  I was able to sample it before purchasing at a store in Indiana.

I will say your tasting notes are spot on. 

• I like it 4

Went to a wheated bourbon blind tasting tonight. Ten samples and you ranked them from worst to best and they tallied the results.  The pic is the group consensus from L to R worst to best.

I actually picked MM Cask Strength as my #1, ORVW #2,  W12 as #3, and LBPC922 as #4. I think it was unanimous that Garrison was last.

20230216_192627.jpg

20230216_175051.jpg

• I like it 12

I went to a whiskey club dinner/tasting tonight with two CA craft distillery sponsors: Broken Barrel and Corbin Cash.  Samples 4 or 5 from each, though I was tasting and spitting as I was the DD.  Some very good stuff from these two.

Broken Barrel.gif

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.