What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

23 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Dropping proof some from the 2 we opened today.  Moderation. Yes, that's it.  Moderation.

Yes, moderation is good especially if you do it in moderation..

I have a bottle of that ECBP A121 open now too and I'm amazed at how delicious it is.  It's blowing away my open Booker's Backyard BBQ, and that's a good batch. 

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, ebo said:

I just found out today from my local store that Ezra Brooks has been discontinued. Has anyone heard this... or can confirm? As I said earlier, it has been 6 months since my store has had Ezra Brooks. According the manager of the store, only the 99 is available. If true, that's too bad. The 99 is harsh and astringent.

I bought a 99 EB last Spring and decided to pass from now on - harsh and astringent was what it was.  Also, I haven't seen the marked up 107(?) in over a year, and the last one I bought was nothing like the "old" ones.  IOW, EB is off my list even if it is their own distillate now.

Almost finished assembling a small green house kit (3'D by 4'W by 6'H at the back) so am congratulating myself with a shot and beer - MM 101 plus a pint+ can of Paulaner Munchner Lager (4.7% ABV).  Getting ready for Nats v. Mets at 7PM ET.  I'll be asleep by 9, I betcha.

• I like it 5

BBC Disc 9. Yum.  So yum....not inclined to pause for a pic.  Sorry.  OK, maybe not.

I third the Ezra.  Have the Old Ezra 7.  Don't hate it. Don't love it. It has yet to grow on me as have some others that started as "meh" for me.  PS: I'm also looking at you HH7.  It's grown on me some, but I just don't get the "wow" that some feel for it.

42 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I have a bottle of that ECBP A121 open now too and I'm amazed at how delicious it is.

Hear! Hear!  I have a serious ECBP Jones. Still trying to decide which ones I like best.  They seem fairly consistent to me.  I look forward to trying the B519 I snagged.  I'm curious as to what it's like at the lower proof.

45 minutes ago, fosmith said:

It's blowing away my open Booker's Backyard BBQ, and that's a good batch.

That's saying something.  I'm still coming & going between Bookers and ECBP, not sure which one I like best.  Both make me quite happy.  I need more samples & side-by-sides.  

Happy place.

Working on a pour of Stagg Jr. B17 this evening.  Yard work all day (mower) and  now the rain is moving in.

• I like it 1

Couple of pours after having some beef lo mein.  First was Ezra Brooks 99.  Really enjoyed it.  Second was some Jefferson's Small Batch that I got at a fund raiser.  It was just MEH.  Not a lot of depth.  Actually not a lot of anything.  Basically a disappointing pour.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:00 AM, Richnimrod said:

Had the very last pour from a bottle of EWSB Bottled in 2011 (distilled in '01).   It was also the very last of that particular barrel I was able to buy.   Not the very best EWSB Vintage I ever owned; but, close.   I'll miss it.

I miss those older bottles.  A year or two again I took a chance on a recent version.  Mistake.  Except it made good cookie bourbon.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, ebo said:

I just found out today from my local store that Ezra Brooks has been discontinued. Has anyone heard this... or can confirm? As I said earlier, it has been 6 months since my store has had Ezra Brooks. According the manager of the store, only the 99 is available. If true, that's too bad. The 99 is harsh and astringent.

Like @PaulO says the 99 proof is everywhere in Indy.  There is also a plentiful supply of the 4 year old Barrel Strength.  Which version are you talking about?  One of these or another?

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

BBC Disc 9. Yum.  So yum....not inclined to pause for a pic.  Sorry.  OK, maybe not.

I third the Ezra.  Have the Old Ezra 7.  Don't hate it. Don't love it. It has yet to grow on me as have some others that started as "meh" for me.  PS: I'm also looking at you HH7.  It's grown on me some, but I just don't get the "wow" that some feel for it.

Hear! Hear!  I have a serious ECBP Jones. Still trying to decide which ones I like best.  They seem fairly consistent to me.  I look forward to trying the B519 I snagged.  I'm curious as to what it's like at the lower proof.

That's saying something.  I'm still coming & going between Bookers and ECBP, not sure which one I like best.  Both make me quite happy.  I need more samples & side-by-sides.  

Happy place.

The OE7 BS is usually pretty solid.  Is this the one you are talking about? I liked it at $40.  Less so at $60.

• I like it 1

Barrell Bourbon Batch #005.  Someone broke the cork last Sunday so I HAD to finish it before it goes bad . . . . that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!   🤣

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

[snipped the rest]

OE 7 was one of my faves.  Used to open it late Fall and sip it through leaf raking. yard clean-up, winter shoveling, and Spring clean-up.  I LOVED its mushroom, composted leaves, dried grass smells - reminded me ALWAYS of the upcoming New Year.  I dearly miss its essence and have found NOTHING approaching its complex, earthy flavors.

• I like it 1

Spent the week in Sarasota (Lido Beach).  Drank too much.  All KC9 since the bourbon selection was limited to KC9, BH and WR at the Tiki Bar where we stayed.  All good.  Some of the bartenders liked my banter and treated me well, especially since I was encouraging other patrons to enjoy shots.  One bartender said "ah fu.. it, I am tired of this bottle so I am emptying it.  A double ended up a four bagger.  😀

Side note - We have been all over Florida.  First time in Sarasota. We really enjoyed this area.

Back home in Indy now.  Temperature is a lot colder.  Tonight, hitting WTR101 for a change of pace.  Still on vacation.  😀  Pours tomorrow and then a short break to reset and get back into running and losing some winter weight.  Still adjusting to retiring from soccer officiating.  I have went from emaciated  to fat and sassy.  I blame my knee but diet and alcohol have added a few pounds since this time last year.  

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Barrell Bourbon Batch #005.  Someone broke the cork last Sunday so I HAD to finish it before it goes bad . . . . that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!   🤣

One would hate to see quality bourbon skanked due to excessive air time.  

21 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Like @PaulO says the 99 proof is everywhere in Indy.  There is also a plentiful supply of the 4 year old Barrel Strength.  Which version are you talking about?  One of these or another?

The original Ezra Brooks (90 proof?). The 99 is everywhere. I have been told that Ezra Brooks has been discontinued.

008835211090.jpg

Edited by ebo
  • I like it 1

Just now, ebo said:

The original Ezra Brooks (90 proof?). The 99 is everywhere. I have been told that Ezra Brooks has been discontinued.

Hmmm....I will check next time I am at a liquor store/department.  Probably tomorrow.  😀 Now that you say 90 proof.  I seem to recall that location of the shelf being emptying last time I was at a store.  It is sort of pathetic that it would ring a bell with me.  😜

• I like it 1

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

Hmmm....I will check next time I am at a liquor store/department.  Probably tomorrow.  😀 Now that you say 90 proof.  I seem to recall that location of the shelf being emptying last time I was at a store.  It is sort of pathetic that it would ring a bell with me.  😜

Not at all. For the money, Ezra Brooks was a very good pour. 

• I like it 1

I don't mean to pile on, but I will anyway. The only Ezra Brooks I have ever had is a bottle of 99. I did not care for it. Yes, harsh and astringent, almost an accidental soapy flavor at the finish. I just used the rest of it mixed with some VOB 86 and a half cup of sugar to soak some sour cherries. If not for this purpose, it would have been my inaugural drain pour. 

Speaking of VOB, I think that might make for a nice opening pour tonight. 

• I like it 1

Finally got around to cracking open and pouring some. Bardstown Bourbon Company Discovery Series #7 57.25% ABV. Interesting blend of Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and Canadian whiskies aged 7-17 years. I’m terrible at describing my drinks but I’ll try. Hmm, the initial nose seemed a little flat - maybe the blend of bourbon, rye and corn whiskey compared against straight bourbon. Taste was a little spicy in a good way (prob from the rye?) like gingerbread or cinnamon but some fruit zest comes through in the end. Interesting finish that lingers nicely. I like it but overall not sure how much I do (though probably not for the price). Will be interesting to revisit later. 

D2726D50-915C-442F-B49B-281E1D1017D5.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.