What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/22/2023 at 5:02 AM, GeeTen said:

.......... + a sample of the WFE 9yr NCF bourbon L&K pick "All Neck Pour"  as part of "Go Whiskey" week:

LOL at "All Neck Pour".

19 hours ago, markandrex said:

JD SB BP over a large ice ball.  

Thx for the nudge.  Pretty sure I have a couple of these on a closet shelf.  Is time to go find one.

Is rainy in the mid-Atlantic but 45 degrees F so not too bad.  Nevertheless, is too cold to assemble a small (3’ deep x 5’high x 5’ wide) greenhouse outside, and wife won’t unlock the door unless I drop my tools and greenhouse parts out there.  SO!  Dropped them.

Licking my wounds by watching Nats v. Cards on mlb.tv and sipping on 2 ounces of 4R SmB Select with a small cube.

Who ARE these guys I watching ?????

edit - uh, is HER greenhouse.  She want it? She should make it. OTOH, I can only live on my own Mac and cheese and hot dogs for so long . . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Came to my senses just in time to avoid combat
  • I like it 2

9 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I have done numerous barrel picks - and it is REALLY GOOD for what it is.   I like the 93 shelfer for its value and availability - but the higher proof barrels are unique and tasty.   They might be "Heavenly" if you are following along the alleged origin story.

The origin story is an impossible mess. Possible its HH. Whatever, I dont really care. I'll just enjoy it for what it is. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

LOL at "All Neck Pour".

I dont get the "neck pour" thing, if you just swish the bottle around a little is it still a "neck pour"? 

7 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I dont get the "neck pour" thing, if you just swish the bottle around a little is it still a "neck pour"? 

That makes it all neck pour!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Is rainy in the mid-Atlantic but 45 degrees F so not too bad. 

It's rainy and 45 here in L.A. too.  Doesn't seem fair.

• I like it 1

A busy day in the garage.  L/O/F (with new drain plug),  gas filter, coil and coil wire, plugs, wire set and distributor/ignition cap.  
Now it is time for a reward, 2019 GTS in the glass.

• I like it 6

I've had a week that was more "complex" than I would have liked, in more ways than one.  I need a solid, straightforward pour tonight, with no bullshit added.

Heaven Hill 6 Year Bottled in Bond in my glass now.  Yes.

• I like it 10

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I've had a week that was more "complex" than I would have liked, in more ways than one.  I need a solid, straightforward pour tonight, with no bullshit added.

Heaven Hill 6 Year Bottled in Bond in my glass now.  Yes.

HHBiB, that definitely is a no BS whiskey, even the bottle and label are all business. 
I sure am glad I got to try that one before it went away. 
i hope your upcoming week is much less complex. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I've had a week that was more "complex" than I would have liked, in more ways than one.

May the coming week be...not complex.

• I like it 2

Bookers 2022-3 two evenings in a row.  It's one of the few I drink from a tumbler.  Borderline for me on "needs water or ice".  Tried it with water Friday, needed it.  Maybe the infamous "neck pour".  Had a weekend serving yesterday (not 2 oz!) nice & neat, went down well.  Maybe the bottle having been open for a day?  Dunno.  I like the Bookers, but it sure does live on the "add (liquid or frozen) water or not" borderlands in my world.

It makes me look forward to the 2015-2.  You guys talk about older whiskey, I'll be curious to see if that's "older enough" to matter.  Tempts to pick up one of the older WT Austin Nichols 101 proofs from the 90's I see for auction for $100....about what a Bookers runs now.  And compare.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 2

Busy week,  Ice Storm caused all kinds of issues.  No electric for 3 days at house in Michigan.  Thankful it came back on that quick, at first they were saying next Friday the 4th.

The tree damage in the area is beyond comprehension.  

Started the night with ECBP C922  this is just a tad hot for me, but with a few drops of water it is wonderful.

Second pour some WRDO  it is just so mellow and sweet.

Hopefully next week will be less stressful....

• I like it 4

When I have 2-oz samples, I try to sample only 1 oz so I can put them away and try them 1 or 2 more times in the future to see if my opinion stays consistent.  II went through the box last night for some revisits.

Redemption 10-yr high-rye cask strength bourbon:  Still yummy.

Sagamore cask-strength rye:  Still yummy.

George Remus bourbon cask strength store pick:  Still yummy.

Barrel Dovetail:  Still yummy.

Doc Swinson's Alter Ego cask strength:  Not bad.

Hirsch The Horizon:  Sucks every time I try it.

My 50/50 blend of Eagle Rare and Benchmark Full Proof:  Still yummy and better than either of its components alone IMHO.

Still have about 16-18 sample bottles left. 

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, IamMatt said:

When I have 2-oz samples, I try to sample only 1 oz so I can put them away and try them 1 or 2 more times in the future to see if my opinion stays consistent.  II went through the box last night for some revisits.

Redemption 10-yr high-rye cask strength bourbon:  Still yummy.

Sagamore cask-strength rye:  Still yummy.

George Remus bourbon cask strength store pick:  Still yummy.

Barrel Dovetail:  Still yummy.

Doc Swinson's Alter Ego cask strength:  Not bad.

Hirsch The Horizon:  Sucks every time I try it.

My 50/50 blend of Eagle Rare and Benchmark Full Proof:  Still yummy and better than either of its components alone IMHO.

Still have about 16-18 sample bottles left. 

Nice summary.

7 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Bookers 2022-3 two evenings in a row.  It's one of the few I drink from a tumbler.  Borderline for me on "needs water or ice".  Tried it with water Friday, needed it.  Maybe the infamous "neck pour".  Had a weekend serving yesterday (not 2 oz!) nice & neat, went down well.  Maybe the bottle having been open for a day?  Dunno.  I like the Bookers, but it sure does live on the "add (liquid or frozen) water or not" borderlands in my world.

It makes me look forward to the 2015-2.  You guys talk about older whiskey, I'll be curious to see if that's "older enough" to matter.  Tempts to pick up one of the older WT Austin Nichols 101 proofs from the 90's I see for auction for $100....about what a Bookers runs now.  And compare.

Bookers takes water very well.  I add water to Booker's more often than any other bourbon.  Adding a few drops opens it up and many times improves it over drinking neat.  If I'm not mistaken I believe Booker Noe himself recommended it that way.

• I like it 2

I am really digging these.  I still have to take the time to pen the adventure of last week when I brought a bunch back into PR.  Maybe that helps make it taste better.

Nah, it's just that good.  It blows me away how much better it is than the regular version.

SFTB Sunday Sip.jpg

• I like it 8

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I am really digging these.  I still have to take the time to pen the adventure of last week when I brought a bunch back into PR.  Maybe that helps make it taste better.

Nah, it's just that good.  It blows me away how much better it is than the regular version.

SFTB Sunday Sip.jpg

Just had a preview to that story, hilarious and good to share on the forum!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Nice summary.

Lol.  I took detailed notes on all of these samples in my tasting notebook (well la-de-dah!) the first time around though in the end, it kinda comes down to "Yes I would buy it or No I wouldn't."

In fact I went to a club bottle share recently to try (taste and spit) as many new bottles as I could.  I tried 26 different bottles and my first notes were details on the note, palate, and finish.  About halfway through I just stared writing "Yes" or "No."  Eight were definite "Yes," eight were definite "No," and the rest were just OK (which probably translates to "No, I wouldn't buy" because there are too many "Yes" bottles available to bother with "OK."

• I like it 4

23 hours ago, IamMatt said:

It's rainy and 45 here in L.A. too.  Doesn't seem fair.

Grandmother moved from Rhode Island to Camarillo in 1908 when she was a kid.  Mother born in Taft in 1923.  Her family moved to Huntington Park in 1926 after WWI.  My Dad was career Navy (1940-1963) so we lived in Long Beach and Coronado and Monterey a lot - all before those places became garden spots to live, of course.  All I remember from those early days (late 1940s, early 1950s) was when it rained out there, IT RAINED!!!

Finished off a 4R SmB Select today after several hours of basic yard work (pick up dead sticks and branches, dump wife's weed bag when she finished weeding the veggie garden (mostly henbit) and trimmed some roses (veggie beds are raised and are about 20' by 30' and bordered by roses to keep out the deer and geese which sort of works)).  I spent the warm part of the day cutting pampas grass with a handsaw.  Grab a handful, saw like crazy, jam in a leaf bag.  Repeat.  No snakes hiding in the pampas tufts this year.  Guess it is a little cold for them to be out yet.  HENCE, the need for the 4R to calm my nerves.

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

Lol.  I took detailed notes on all of these samples in my tasting notebook (well la-de-dah!) the first time around though in the end, it kinda comes down to "Yes I would buy it or No I wouldn't."

Yep, in the end, to buy again or not to buy again is all we need to know.  I appreciate the directness of your original post.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.