What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter 2022-2023?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, that went down way too fast!  Time to slow the sipping with some neat Bookers (Bardstown Batch).

• I like it 3

Had some RY10 last night. This is my 3rd bottle of RY10 I've had but the first in quite a few years. I was not impressed with the first two and I think I'm even less impressed with this one. Even more so when the cost has risen to $100. I guess I didn't learn the "fool me once" adage.

This particular barrel was barreled in 2009 and is a 2022 bottle so is around 13 years old. I did a sbs with an Old Fitz BIB 13 year release and it wasn't even close. And...I wasn't even very fond of the OF either.

So now I've got about 85% left of this $100 bottle  to figure out what to do with. I mean, it's "drinkable". It doesn't make me want to pour it out but not what I'm looking for from a 10+ year single barrel LE. I'll see how well it makes an old fashioned. 

20230228_181446.jpg

• I like it 1

Having some MM “Community Batch”  from the last Whisky Drop box since I got the notice today that the latest is about to ship.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

Had some RY10 last night. This is my 3rd bottle of RY10 I've had but the first in quite a few years. I was not impressed with the first two and I think I'm even less impressed with this one. Even more so when the cost has risen to $100. I guess I didn't learn the "fool me once" adage.

This particular barrel was barreled in 2009 and is a 2022 bottle so is around 13 years old. I did a sbs with an Old Fitz BIB 13 year release and it wasn't even close. And...I wasn't even very fond of the OF either.

So now I've got about 85% left of this $100 bottle  to figure out what to do with. I mean, it's "drinkable". It doesn't make me want to pour it out but not what I'm looking for from a 10+ year single barrel LE. I'll see how well it makes an old fashioned. 

20230228_181446.jpg

do you think it would work as a WSR replacement in the grandpa wellers 4 grain mixture? Could be a way to repurpose it.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Double C's said:

do you think it would work as a WSR replacement in the grandpa wellers 4 grain mixture? Could be a way to repurpose it.

I was thinking the same thing.  It would also raise the overall proof.

More of the MM this evening.  It is probably one of the best wood finishing series I have had.  

• I like it 2

Happy Friday Eve!

The BOTM thread is the inspiration for this pour.

It's been a while. I don't know why, because it is soooooooo good!

20230302_185432.jpg

• I like it 6

I will follow your lead this evening with a RR SB also.  Cheers!

102D203B-1535-4773-ADB6-3F7509AB8508.jpeg

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Good call!

On 2/28/2023 at 6:23 PM, Clueby said:

20230228_181446.jpg

I tried for a couple years to get that bottle. Last oct I stumbled on one and was so excited that I went back the next day to see if I could score another. There was a different person in the shop so I got the second. I wish I would have opened the 1st & tried it before spending the money on the 2nd. It's not terrible, but way too deserty. I don't mind it for a single pour, once in awhile, but it has to be followed up with a more bourbony bourbon...

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:23 PM, Clueby said:

20230228_181446.jpg

I'm a fan of the standard NAS Rebel 100.

I was thinking maybe get some of that and splash a little of the above R 10 SB into it.

Over the years, I recall several instances along the lines of combining with younger version of same worked wonders.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Now that's a pour!!

• I like it 3

What's open here in the room with the record player.   I'm listening to Lionel Hampton with Buddy Rich and sipping half ounce pours from all of the above.   Two are soleras,  one of which received a two ounce infusion of an EC Private Barrell (94 proof, 10 yr) as it gave up the ghost.

20230302_232159_Burst01.jpg

• I like it 4

20230228_181446.jpg

I skipped the Rebel 10 when they raised it to a Benjamin. I think it is good wheated bourbon, but I also think wheated bourbon is kinda boring.  

• I like it 3

Started the weekend with a healthy pour of WTKS (Boss man gave me tomorrow off).  I thought, "Could this possibly get any better?" 

Turns out, it could. And did. KC 12 in the glass right now.  This is the bourbonic manifestation of the word sublime. 

• I like it 3

A buddy threw me a sample of Barrell Vantage after I expressed interest in it due to its placement on some list of last year's most interesting whiskeys.

It was tasty enough, but reminded me that I have yet to be wowed by any bourbon that has been finished in other barrels or otherwise been treated with extra staves, etc. I think I just generally prefer the depth of a bourbon that's old enough to be in fourth grade or so....

• I like it 2

I had a pour of JTS Brown in honor of BIB Day.  ...For sentimental reasons.     Followed that one up with one I like better; Early Times BIB.

• I like it 5

Celebrated BIB day last night with some EW BIB.  Hadn't had it in a long time. 

• I like it 5

Sitting on the deck enjoying a WT 101.  We have spent Saturday and today cleaning up the yard. My wife is handling the yard and  I’ve got the paved areas.  My ankle still won’t tolerate uneven surfaces.  Fortunately nothing but sticks and limbs.  We have a few trees down in the woods and not going to worry about them,  only the deer will be inconvenienced.

The winds were intense on Friday (60+ mph gusts). About half the county was w/o power with about 17,000 still out today.  Louisville still has about 170,000 in the dark.

Today is 70 and sunny.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

On 3/3/2023 at 8:08 PM, Richnimrod said:

I had a pour of JTS Brown in honor of BIB Day.  ...For sentimental reasons.     Followed that one up with one I like better; Early Times BIB.

Around here, JTSB BIB only comes in plastic handles.  THOSE are damn hard to hide from ANYBODY I've promised I would not buy more bourbon until the dining room floor corner is down about a dozen bottles.  That doesn't mean I don't buy them, of course.😉

TODAY was the second day I spent working on a new greenhouse kit for my wife.  It's about 3.5' D by 4'W by 4'H in front and 5'H in rear.  Yesterday, I spent 7 innings of the Nats v. Cards game on the base and sides.  Today, I finished the sides, back, and part of the roof.  Good thing I own a couple electric drivers of various sizes and voltages -- went through one 18V DeWalt battery and about fifty screws of various sizes.  OF COURSE I drilled out the screw holes with a bit slightly smaller than the screws called for.  I'm too old to muscle screws through undrilled wood even WITH battery power.  It hit 60+ degrees today with no wind - T-shirt weather when working.   HENCE, it is MM 101 with some ice to celebrate the balmy weather AND my industriousness which calls for wheaters IMHO.  BTW, saw a note someplace (that guy with the ascot????) that Bernheim has a barrel proof out.  Anybody seen it?

• I like it 4

The bottle of JTS Brown I was pouring from is the very last one I currently own.   It's one two  glass 750's I grabbed a few years ago in Bardstown.   I don't love it (it's a bit rough around the edges... makes a great Old Fashioned, though); but, I find some pleasure in once in a while pouring Fast Eddie Felson's favorite pour neat.

• I like it 1

More than I should, less than I want.  Finishing up the weekend with a few pours of FRSiB after a few pours of WTR101.  One day work week followed by vacation time in Florida next week.  Tired, crotchety, and ready for a break from work place stupidity.  Of course, I am part of that stupidity but I prefer to pretend I am innocent.  My co-workers would beg to differ from that opinion.  I would argue I am consistent.

• I like it 3

20230228_181446.jpg

Set it aside for a while and then give it another chance.  If it still doesn't hit the spot, I bet @0895 will take it off your hands.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.