Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I'm not a big MM fan but this was stellar.  So complex and balanced..

Maker's BEP empty.jpg

Strongly agree. Grae stuff, have gone through 3, have 1 open and 1 bunkered. Got my last 2 at Frootbat. 

This JB was not one of the better ones. So it goes. The JJB was my last, and am very sad to see it go. No backup. Dant solid as always.

IMG_4943.jpeg

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

This JB was not one of the better ones. So it goes. The JJB was my last, and am very sad to see it go. No backup. Dant solid as always.

Not one of the better JB 108 proof Single Barrels that you've tried?  Or not one of the better JB bourbons in general?  The reason I'm asking is that I've considered picking up one of these 108 proof JB SiB, but I wasn't sure how it stacked up.  If you are saying you've had good single barrels before, and this latest one is sub-par, then I might write that off to "SiB variation" ... but if you've only tried one SiB and didn't care for it compared to other Beam products, then I might just skip that bottle.

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, fosmith said:

I'm not a big MM fan but this was stellar.  So complex and balanced..

Maker's BEP empty.jpg

It's funny, because I seem to buy the wrong MM LE's.  Just by pure random happenstance I decided not to search for this one because I've got a few of the previous versions on hand already.  I also missed the first couple of these MM LE releases that were supposed to be better than the ones I did purchase.  Oh well, Que sera sera.  My FOMO is really starting to fade away, and I'm quite happy about that.  Lol

Edited by Kepler
grammar
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not one of the better JB 108 proof Single Barrels that you've tried?  Or not one of the better JB bourbons in general?  The reason I'm asking is that I've considered picking up one of these 108 proof JB SiB, but I wasn't sure how it stacked up.  If you are saying you've had good single barrels before, and this latest one is sub-par, then I might write that off to "SiB variation" ... but if you've only tried one SiB and didn't care for it compared to other Beam products, then I might just skip that bottle.

Not one of the better JB 108 proof SiB. I've had a handful now and I would say that most have been good, a couple have been excellent, and this and maybe another were sub-par, but totally drinkable. I can find it for ~$30 near me, so worth the gamble. 

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Not one of the better JB 108 proof SiB. I've had a handful now and I would say that most have been good, a couple have been excellent, and this and maybe another were sub-par, but totally drinkable. I can find it for ~$30 near me, so worth the gamble. 

Yeah that's the worth the gamble to me too 👍

• I like it 1

We finished this one tonight. 

Without a doubt this was far and away our best bourbon of 2023. It's probably in my top three of all time.  138.6 pf and it drinks like 90.

There is so much going on, very fruity on the nose, no ethanol to speak of. 

Plum and cherry on the palate up front, hint of vanilla and light caramel lingering on the finish. 

This was a single barrel store pick from Cheers Liquors in Rome GA.  It was so worth burning a half day of vacation to go to the drop. While I'm sad this is gone, I'm happy we still have three more in the bunker.20230819_210707.thumb.jpg.cdea04eea25d181010bc51c90a913a66.jpg

• I like it 10

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

Have another one of these waiting in the wings.

20230829_194718.jpg

I really need to jump across the big muddy river to IL and find one of these. I am really curious to compare it to the Holladay and Copper Dome wheaters. Have you had either of those to compare it against?

This bottle surprised me.  Oily mouthfeel with rich flavors of burnt brown sugar and honey - excellent nose as well.  Great stuff.

IMG_6344.jpg

• I like it 5

Recent additions to the recycle bin. All good bottles, my fave was the MMCS, from 2015. 

Cheers

8999AA65-2366-407B-818A-350876562DFF.jpeg

• I like it 8

52 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Recent additions to the recycle bin. All good bottles, my fave was the MMCS, from 2015. 

Cheers

8999AA65-2366-407B-818A-350876562DFF.jpeg

Very good work there.  A lot of quality bottles and good variety.  👍

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Very good work there.  A lot of quality bottles and good variety.  👍

Why thank you sir. 😃

Cheers

Here’s the latest rogue’s gallery of exhausted bottles.  I caught these guys in the laundry room on their way out to the recycling bin in the garage, and they agreed to pose for a going-away photo.

All of these fellows were fine examples of the distiller’s art.  KC9, to my mind, is as good a bang-for-your-buck whiskey as is available (and it always IS available).  Just a classic profile.  Another good one with a traditional profile is the McKenna.  This one has a reputation for bottle variation, but I am on a good roll, with the last 4 or 5 of these I’ve had being above average to excellent.  (The increase in the price over the last couple of years is a different story.)

The WTKS was terrific, as usual.  I realize that the quality/price ratio for this one is arguably the worst among the regular WT offerings but, damn, every bottle of this I get is right in my wheelhouse for this style bourbon.  Delicious stuff.  The Barrell Batch 032 was my next-to-last bottle of this that I had stashed away in the bunker.  It continues to satisfy, with a real “ahhhhh” experience on that first sip of the night.  I have bunkered a couple of Batch 034 bottles that I am looking forward to after I kill the last of this batch.  (Barrell really knows what the hell they are doing with their blending.)

Finally, the Bardstown Fusion Series #7 bottle was one that I didn’t realize I still had.  A few weeks ago I finished a bottle of Series #8 and went to bunker for another when I was surprised to find this #7 lurking in there.  So, this is the remains of that one.  (Another #8 is currently open in the cabinet, with a recently-purchased #9 waiting in the wings for its introduction.  As you can tell, I like this series of bourbons.)

Empty Bottles 091123.jpg

• I like it 6

On 8/29/2023 at 8:48 PM, Clueby said:

Have another one of these waiting in the wings.

20230829_194718.jpg

Good bottle, and very crushable.  My first one went down very fast.  Your post reminds me that I need to open up another one.

All gone. Not to worry. I will be refilling this 750 from a handle in the cabinet. 😁

IMG_2622.thumb.jpeg.ecfccc7857f443b5eeffbeae002e5b3f.jpeg

• I like it 2