What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

8 hours ago, Obree said:

solid advice!

Thanks. Forgot something even more important than open-drink-enjoy —- share!

• I like it 1

Opened a 375 - 1920 on Mon. Didn't know how much I missed this one.

A 750 - OGD BiB on Wed. Filled Decanter (tasted 1st, of course)

Today, just opened a HMK - letting it breathe.

• I like it 4

open.thumb.jpg.ca9a8addeed4dc2312904822986b6503.jpg

Decided to open two for the long holiday weekend. I've been sitting on the bookers for quite a few years. Both were tasted neat in a small tulip glass. The bookers was hot, so I'm hoping after some air it will settle and I can revisit this monster. The WT was quite perfect straight from the newly cracked bottle. HAPPY 4th TO EVERYONE!!!

• I like it 10

So no pic but broke into the HH 6yr. green label in the freezer in a red Solo cup.  Wow!  Why wasn’t I aware of this years ago!
Happy 4th to all!

• I like it 6

20230701_200303.thumb.jpg.aa61bf7fe0916b3fb64414bcf42a5fd9.jpgTechnically this was opened last night for a bottle share ,Build #4.  It was a hit, there's only a pour or two left.

• I like it 3

On 6/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, bayouredd said:

Opened a 375 - 1920 on Mon. Didn't know how much I missed this one.

A 750 - OGD BiB on Wed. Filled Decanter (tasted 1st, of course)

Today, just opened a HMK - letting it breathe.

I keep two whiskeys in decanters.

OGD BiB is one of them. 

• I like it 4

On 6/30/2023 at 5:40 PM, FacePlant said:

open.thumb.jpg.ca9a8addeed4dc2312904822986b6503.jpg

Decided to open two for the long holiday weekend. I've been sitting on the bookers for quite a few years. Both were tasted neat in a small tulip glass. The bookers was hot, so I'm hoping after some air it will settle and I can revisit this monster. The WT was quite perfect straight from the newly cracked bottle. HAPPY 4th TO EVERYONE!!!

Decades is such a great bourbon, I could drink it exclusively.  I haven’t had that batch of Booker’s, but I bet it will come around. 
Happy 4th of July to you. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I keep two whiskeys in decanters.

OGD BiB is one of them. 

And the other one?

Well_we_are_waiting.jpg

• I like it 3

Last night,  I Opened up a new bottle to me, BBC Origin Wheater BiB.

At least last night, it was a different profile than other wheaters I’ve tried, I like it.

I acquired this one out of state.  From the little I’ve learned  about the brand, it is fairly available in those stores that carry the BBC line.  So a nice wheater, reasonable price and mostly available, sign me up! 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Spelling error correction
  • I like it 4

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

And the other one?

Well_we_are_waiting.jpg

John J. Bowman.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

John J. Bowman.

That's a good one 👍

• I like it 1

Thought I'd open this 2012 ER10 for the holiday.  Happy Independence Day y'all. 

Fly Eagle fly! 🦅🇺🇸

20230702_183932.thumb.jpg.25eeea66698709f85bfbfc811691fe74.jpg

• I like it 13

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's a good one 👍

Agreed! 

John J. Bowman, OGDBiB & WT101 are all decanter-worthy.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Thought I'd open this 2012 ER10 for the holiday.  Happy Independence Day y'all. 

Fly Eagle fly! 🦅🇺🇸

20230702_183932.thumb.jpg.25eeea66698709f85bfbfc811691fe74.jpg

"Fly Eagle Fly??" 

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Agreed! 

John J. Bowman, OGDBiB & WT101 are all decanter-worthy.

"Fly Eagle Fly??" 

100% coincidence I can assure you haha. I was just trying to say something with the word 'eagle'...

• I like it 2

I have a bunch of bottles on my closet floor. The collection has been growing there. I rummaged through the bottles this afternoon and found Discovery 6 & 7. I just cracked 7 and I can already tell we are going to get along famously. 

IMG_0588.jpeg

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

100% coincidence I can assure you haha. I was just trying to say something with the word 'eagle'...

I figured as much but could not let that slide by without a remark.😉

• I like it 1

On 6/22/2023 at 8:41 PM, Kepler said:

I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to offend.  I respect accountants a ton. Very important work y'all do, and very talented people that I know personally.  But I don't necessarily respect companies that make major commercial decisions based on what are obviously profit-only factors.  "Profit-first"?  Yes absolutely, it's only good business.  Profit only?  That's different.

ha, ha, no offense taken! Besides, I like to make fun of accountants myself. 🤓

• I like it 1

This one is a gift from a colleague.  Good, much better once it sat for 20 minutes. I'll need to research what it is and try it again in a few weeks.

4G.jpg

On 6/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have a 24 year pre fire bottle that I paid waaaaay too much for, and have yet to open.  My # came up in a lottery for the chance to buy one.   As a cheap bastard, it almost killed me to blow the dust and cobwebs out of my  wallet to buy it.      It's the only bottle of whiskey that I purchased, where I've contemplated selling it.     I'm still on the fence about cracking it open.    Maybe my reply to these posts is a way to get some of the enablers on this board to nudge me towards opening it!

I feel ya. I only have one that I'm contemplating trading off without ever having tried it.  Swapped an SFTB (bought at MSRP) for an OHLQ Willett 6-Year Purple Top (not the "black glass wheater - boy, did that one flop) someone won in the OHLQ lottery. I've found Willett - especially the touted purple-top bourbon - underwhelming, especially when I look at what I could get trade-wise. Gonna have to think it through, haven't opened it yet. 

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I feel ya. I only have one that I'm contemplating trading off without ever having tried it.  Swapped an SFTB (bought at MSRP) for an OHLQ Willett 6-Year Purple Top (not the "black glass wheater - boy, did that one flop) someone won in the OHLQ lottery. I've found Willett - especially the touted purple-top bourbon - underwhelming, especially when I look at what I could get trade-wise. Gonna have to think it through, haven't opened it yet. 

My 2 cents is do not get hit by a bus and miss out!! My biggest fear is people drinking it at my wake!!!!!! Friends OK, people not so much.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Grady330 said:

My 2 cents is do not get hit by a bus and miss out!! My biggest fear is people drinking it at my wake!!!!!! Friends OK, people not so much.  

I fear the bus.  

Told the kids that if cops were not called to the wake due to excessive repetition & volume of their playing "It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock & Roll" & The Immigrant Song, they failed. I further instructed that the cops be given whiskey.

• I like it 7

Purchased, opened, and had a pour last evening of EB 99. This was my first bottle of it. Was at the LS to grab a replacement freezer/fridge bottle, saw this on sale, and curiosity got the best of me. 

Stuck it in the fridge for a couple hours, opened it, and had a small pour over a cube for the late night telecast of the Mets/Padres game. It was about what I was expecting. Pretty classic flavors, and held up well over ice. Probably wont be a repeat buyer, but I'll enjoy the rest of this bottle.

• I like it 2

I like young bourbon. There I said it! I think this is very good. For me, it’s pretty much one note but just tastes like classic bourbon. 

IMG_0660.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, MM818 said:

I like young bourbon. There I said it! I think this is very good. For me, it’s pretty much one note but just tastes like classic bourbon. 

IMG_0660.jpeg

I love Booker's too.  I don't believe I've had that batch, but for some of the "one-note"  Booker's I found that if I added some drops of water it really opened up and unlocked some of the complexity.  Sometimes it's fun to experiment with water on these 125+ proof monsters.

• I like it 1