What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

24 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Finally cracked open this bad boy.  It tastes incredible.

20230525_185345.thumb.jpg.24a70a409b3753b88b01ae898cb18793.jpg

I’m sure it does!  But, your skill in pulling that notoriously fragile WT cork out clean is what is truly worthy of all of our respect and admiration!  That’s a bourbon pro right there, y’all!  👍🏻

Huzzah!   Found another bottle of Frank August.    Sure is easy to gobble down while listening to some Joey DeFrancesco.   

20230527_204139.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

My wife is flying home from Istanbul soon; I wish WT 12 were available at the Duty Free shop there!  I hear it is only available in Japan.  Doesn't appear that Istanbul has anything worth hunting for so I won't be bugging her to bring me anything.

6 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

My wife is flying home from Istanbul soon; I wish WT 12 were available at the Duty Free shop there!  I hear it is only available in Japan.  Doesn't appear that Istanbul has anything worth hunting for so I won't be bugging her to bring me anything.

Istanbul is a bourbon wasteland. At least it was a decade ago.  Maybe they've expanded their imports since I was there.  But may the odds be ever in your favor!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m sure it does!  But, your skill in pulling that notoriously fragile WT cork out clean is what is truly worthy of all of our respect and admiration!  That’s a bourbon pro right there, y’all!  👍🏻

Let me tell you I was very slow and deliberate working that cork out! The most careful I've ever been on a cork.  I don't trust it moving foreward, so have already found a perfect replacement for it.

• I like it 4

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Istanbul is a bourbon wasteland. At least it was a decade ago.  Maybe they've expanded their imports since I was there.  But may the odds be ever in your favor!

I looked at some Istanbul Airport stuff online: lots of scotch, lots of JD and Beam--including all the flavored stuff--only thing of interest I saw was JD Sinatra but at $150, I need to go to the "What bourbon did you pass on?" thread.  We may be able to manage a trip to Louisville this fall, so it's all good.

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Let me tell you I was very slow and deliberate working that cork out! The most careful I've ever been on a cork.  I don't trust it moving foreward, so have already found a perfect replacement for it.

IMG_3211.jpeg.d095fa356c470541c5a304ee1d002b49.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 5/27/2023 at 6:27 PM, Kepler said:

20230525_185345.thumb.jpg.24a70a409b3753b88b01ae898cb18793.jpg

Thats a good one. What's the date on the bottle? I have a '96 open right now that is extremely good. 

• I like it 1

Opened both of these as part of a Weller "ladder climb" on Sunday. Both of them are soooo good.20230528_192714.thumb.jpg.71ef1d2a5587b33da058304910cbbc74.jpg

20230528_230159.jpg

• I like it 11

On 5/29/2023 at 5:21 PM, LCWoody said:

Thats a good one. What's the date on the bottle? I have a '96 open right now that is extremely good. 

Mine's a 98.  I've read that those older ones can be even better, but no complaints on this one at all. 

• I like it 2

Finally opened this one. It’s the 2017 release. Yes, I’ve had it sitting in the bunker for a big occasion. Celebrating the birth of my daughter.

Im not a big OWA fan. But this is quite a bit better with the additional oak notes. Glad I saved it. 🙂

I still have a 2018 4R LE, Russels Reserve 13 yr, WTMK, and Laphroaig sherried barrel pick to open as well. Wife said “you know she’ll have other big occasions”.  Hah! Cheers!

4F65DA6F-3693-4573-8370-A5B56EBA95C2.jpeg

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 8

On 5/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, Kepler said:

I also have a 2005 Kentucky Vintage that I picked up at the same time. 

20230507_134221.thumb.jpg.570a3728be3b410a4d2b6728dc8d7dc3.jpg

So tonight I opened the Kentucky Vintage because I wanted to open something at lower proof.  This one is 90 proof.  First pour is decent, but nothing special so far.  You can taste the nice age on this one.  It's just 2 days shy of 9 years old.  You'd think they could've let it sit in the barrel 2 more days to hit 9 years even! 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Finally opened this one. It’s the 2017 release. Yes, I’ve had it sitting in the bunker for a big occasion. Celebrating the birth of my daughter.

Im not a big OWA fan. But this is quite a bit better with the additional oak notes. Glad I saved it. 🙂

I still have a 2018 4R LE, Russels Reserve 13 yr, WTMK, and Laphroaig sherried barrel pick to open as well. Wife said “you know she’ll have other big occasions”.  Hah! Cheers!

Nice!  But treat yourself -- you can pour a little more liquid into the glen! 😉

And congrats on the birth of your daughter! 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Big congrats on the birth of your daughter!  2007 WLW in the glass as a toast to you and your family.  🥃

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Congratulations!

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Big congratulations! I opened an ORVW 10 for the births of each of my daughters. Thinking maybe I should have saved some for their teenage years!

• I like it 5

Opened a 1L bottle of FRYL for the Summer 2023 freezer bottle.  Letting it chill now for drinking if we ever get out from under this sucky Canadian smoke cover and warm up some. . . . .  🤬

• I like it 4

9 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Big congratulations! I opened an ORVW 10 for the births of each of my daughters. Thinking maybe I should have saved some for their teenage years!

Teenage years?  That’s what you should save the barrel proofers for…🤪

• I like it 4

On 6/7/2023 at 7:29 PM, mal00768 said:

Congratulations!

• I like it 1

Going to the bunker to pull an older RRSiB, Rickhouse A.  Sweet honeyed oak, baking spices, and a long Kentucky hug.

38AE5424-FD0E-421F-9B0B-02B46AFA9DCA.jpeg

• I like it 8

I happened to know someone who was traveling in Japan and just got back.  These two bottles became kind of unicorns for me.  I had some other bottles for them to look for while there that they never found (Blanton's Straight From the Barrell, Wild Turkey Masters Keep, Evan Williams 23 year Old) but was plenty thrilled when I was given these two bottles! 

20230616_161859.jpg

• I like it 6

I sense a 12-year theme going on here.

This is one of my all time favorite bourbons (maybe the favorite when considering how inexpensive and available it used to be).  My bar just doesn't feel complete unless I have one of these opened at all times...

20230616_183019.thumb.jpg.ffeaae3358a65039b5f3195d9223b4b4.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Hawk13 said:

I happened to know someone who was traveling in Japan and just got back.  These two bottles became kind of unicorns for me.  I had some other bottles for them to look for while there that they never found (Blanton's Straight From the Barrell, Wild Turkey Masters Keep, Evan Williams 23 year Old) but was plenty thrilled when I was given these two bottles! 

20230616_161859.jpg

Those 2 are better than those others on your wish list.  Enjoy!

• I like it 1