What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I haven't had the 15, but the 14 year resembles this remark.  So much so that this cheap bastard bought two bottles 😉

I haven't tried the 15 year, either, but 14, 15 & 16 are still on the shelfs here. When I went looking, good ol' SB swayed me to believe the 14 was better, so there it is. 14YR - 😘👍

• I like it 1

I remember some reviewers saying they preferred the 14 to the 15, and many reviewers saying the 16 was the best of the bunch.  I haven't had the 14 but I quite enjoy the 15 and 16; haven't blinded them against each other yet.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Clueby said:

I thought both the 14 and 15 I tried were mostly unremarkable but 16's I've tried have all been excellent.

Agreed!  Might have been the company I was keeping at the time, too . . . .  🫠

• I like it 3

On 5/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, Clueby said:

I thought both the 14 and 15 I tried were mostly unremarkable but 16's I've tried have all been excellent.

Good to see the 16 reviews to be worthwhile. It is still on the shelf here and since this is so, believe it or not, the prices have dropped since it's debut. Must be time for me to spring for one.

• I like it 1

For some of us, reaching into the far back depths of the bunker, this thread might need to be renamed to What Bottle Did You Finally Open?

For some reason I have been avoiding / saving a SAOS 100 proof, which I finally opened this evening. A Sarah bottling from 2014. Cork did not break.

Echoes of John Denver and Country Roads come to mind, ha, ha.

Pat

20230518_202804.jpg

20230518_202809.jpg

• I like it 11

20 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

this thread might need to be renamed to What Bottle Did You Finally Open?

20230518_202804.jpg

Ha!  I like to say that I’m making my own “dusties”.

Very Nice.  Enjoy that.  I just finished a 2016 of the same.

• I like it 2

Opened a fantastic 2019 WRDO store pick that I was part of today.  It’s my last bottle from the pick 😕, but too darn good not to drink.

Rich notes of chocolate, oak, vanilla, & caramel.  Arguably almost perfectly balanced.

05AFF3D8-C0CA-4887-B6EB-3B2BB6C28BE9.jpeg

• I like it 6

21 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

For some of us, reaching into the far back depths of the bunker, this thread might need to be renamed to What Bottle Did You Finally Open?

For some reason I have been avoiding / saving a SAOS 100 proof, which I finally opened this evening. A Sarah bottling from 2014. Cork did not break.

Echoes of John Denver and Country Roads come to mind, ha, ha.

Pat

58 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Ha!  I like to say that I’m making my own “dusties”.

Very Nice.  Enjoy that.  I just finished a 2016 of the same.

You boys are a bad influence. I'm gonna have to reach into one of my SAOS stashes and pull a new one out soon.  Somewhere back there I know I have one of those "Ten" bottles from 2016.

Actually this is good timing because I just finished an old SAOS store pick I've had around for quite awhile.

20230519_172757.thumb.jpg.55899bd4eb787121d6fb0171421d9fec.jpg

• I like it 12

53 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

20230519_204216.jpg

IMHO WTRB has always been one of the best looking bottles out there.    Nice pic.

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

IMHO WTRB has always been one of the best looking bottles out there.    Nice pic.

Agreed and thanks!

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

You boys are a bad influence. I'm gonna have to reach into one of my SAOS stashes and pull a new one out soon.  Somewhere back there I know I have one of those "Ten" bottles from 2016.

Actually this is good timing because I just finished an old SAOS store pick I've had around for quite awhile.

that is truly funny kepler. good one!

Pat

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Aw c’mon @Kepler. You know the rule. SARAH!?  Any questions, check out the post above from @Patrick_OKC.  😉

• I like it 2

On 5/18/2023 at 8:46 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

20230518_202809.jpg

Don't rename this thread! This has a fantastic new thread potential. Since my bunker only goes back to 2017, I get a real charge out of seeing what you old dogs whip out, not to mention hold out bottles for special occasions & such! 

The thread may not be a heavy traffic one, but it would have go-back/catch-up reading potential.

I vote Pat, take this post and reinstitute said thread. Now you have to because that rhymes...

16 hours ago, 0895 said:

Opened a fantastic 2019 WRDO store pick that I was part of today.  It’s my last bottle from the pick 😕, but too darn good not to drink.

Rich notes of chocolate, oak, vanilla, & caramel.  Arguably almost perfectly balanced.

05AFF3D8-C0CA-4887-B6EB-3B2BB6C28BE9.jpeg

Every SP WRDO that I have had has been fantastic & x100 better than any DO I've tried, to include Peerless, JB, 1910 and at least one other that I can't recall and are not rebuys.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Don't rename this thread! This has a fantastic new thread potential. Since my bunker only goes back to 2017, I get a real charge out of seeing what you old dogs whip out, not to mention hold out bottles for special occasions & such! 

The thread may not be a heavy traffic one, but it would have go-back/catch-up reading potential.

I vote Pat, take this post and reinstitute said thread. Now you have to because that rhymes...

Well, that would be interesting, I agree. There probably have been variants of this throughout the years. The twin thread would be the drain pour thread, which I do find a very interesting one to visit.

Pat

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Aw c’mon @Kepler. You know the rule. SARAH!?  Any questions, check out the post above from @Patrick_OKC.  😉

Hey I know you all have a thing about Sarah bottles, but I like them all (well lol, not so much James...) 😄

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

On 5/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, Kepler said:

Ok @Patrick_OKC & @0895

I have made my selection.  A 10 year single barrel.  And yes, it's a Sarah 😁

Fantastic as usual. 

Mmm, lots of baking spices on this one ... just the way I like these.

20230525_181114.thumb.jpg.1e4911f0348defb6d981e46e0a944a32.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Ok @Patrick_OKC & @0895

I have made my selection.  A 10 year single barrel.  And yes, it's a Sarah 😁

Fantastic as usual. 

Mmm, lots of baking spices on this one ... just the way I like these.

20230525_181114.thumb.jpg.1e4911f0348defb6d981e46e0a944a32.jpg

Looks real nice!

That isn't #3633 by chance ?

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Looks real nice!

That isn't #3633 by chance ?

Nope

On 5/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, Kepler said:

I used to have a stash like that. Then Covid hit and I spent 2 years in my house with Mrs. Jvd99 and a stacked bunker, and, well, you know how it goes. I only have like 1 left

14 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I used to have a stash like that. Then Covid hit and I spent 2 years in my house with Mrs. Jvd99 and a stacked bunker, and, well, you know how it goes. I only have like 1 left

Wow.

Luckily my wife is less annoying.

Most of my SAOS survived lockdown.

😜

• I like it 2

Im a bit of a perfectionist, and this might be false advertising.

It’s fine.  Good even.

Perfect?……. No.  Needs more rye! ;)

4E3FA070-81DC-4ADA-ABB1-C68EB963BC26.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 5/16/2023 at 11:29 PM, flahute said:

Every one I've had has been exceptional. Don't write it off yet.

I tried it again last night and it's not yet changing my mind. Again, it's an OK pour, but back on the shelf for another month or so. I've heard nothing but good things, so maybe, no, probably it's just me. 

We also have the 14 and 16, so I may open one or both of those for comparison 

On 5/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, 0895 said:

Im a bit of a perfectionist, and this might be false advertising.

It’s fine.  Good even.

Perfect?……. No.  Needs more rye! ;)

4E3FA070-81DC-4ADA-ABB1-C68EB963BC26.jpeg

I do like that one.  Mine is much better than it gets credit for online anyway.  It's a pretty good proof for that mashbill IMO.

• I like it 1