What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

I opened this Woodford tonight. Yikes!! Minwax polyurethane on the nose, oak and drano on the palate. 

I've heard nothing but good things about this one one, but it is so not on my profile.20230616_195210.thumb.jpg.0da48397c5fabd00942fdeef0261cf1b.jpg

13 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

I opened this Woodford tonight. Yikes!! Minwax polyurethane on the nose, oak and drano on the palate. 

I've heard nothing but good things about this one one, but it is so not on my profile.20230616_195210.thumb.jpg.0da48397c5fabd00942fdeef0261cf1b.jpg

Try it again in a few weeks/months. For me the double Oaked expressions are very much a mood pour. When it doesn't sing, it bombs. When it does sing, it's a butterscotch medley of happiness. YMMV

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I sense a 12-year theme going on here.

This is one of my all time favorite bourbons (maybe the favorite when considering how inexpensive and available it used to be).  My bar just doesn't feel complete unless I have one of these opened at all times...

20230616_183019.thumb.jpg.ffeaae3358a65039b5f3195d9223b4b4.jpg

Great glass, even better whiskey.  Yet another example of what bourbon used to be, a quality product that everyone could enjoy and afford.  Maybe one day again 🤞

Cheers 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Those 2 are better than those others on your wish list.  Enjoy!

I don't doubt it.  The Wild Turkey 12 is outstanding.  

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

I'm not a fan either.  I gave it a fair shot too.  I still have a store pick version I have never opened.  Maybe it will be better.

IMO, Brown-Forman bourbons (WR and OF) are under aged across the board.  Bean counters make all the decisions over at B-F.

I've had this one squirreled away in the bunker.  It used to be part of my regular rotation, when I could get it easily for around $42-45.  But, it's a unicorn for me these days, so I kept my last bottle tucked away for the right occasion.  Father's Day seemed like a good reason to fetch it and pop the cork.  It is not disappointing me -- beautiful appearance, nose, taste, and mouthfeel.  Ahhhhh.  To everyone to which it applies: Happy Father's Day!

CEHT.jpg

• I like it 8

On 6/16/2023 at 9:13 PM, Davesnothere said:

On 6/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, JCwhammie said:

Try it again in a few weeks/months. For me the double Oaked expressions are very much a mood pour. When it doesn't sing, it bombs. When it does sing, it's a butterscotch medley of happiness. YMMV

I hope that you're right. I have a bottle of Sagamore DO that sings off-key😉

On 6/16/2023 at 10:10 PM, Kepler said:

I'm not a fan either.  I gave it a fair shot too.  I still have a store pick version I have never opened.  Maybe it will be better.

IMO, Brown-Forman bourbons (WR and OF) are under aged across the board.  Bean counters make all the decisions over at B-F.

You could be on to something there although I haven't had any issues with the OF100, or the 1920.

I told my dog this bottle was $100 off at the LS and it miraculously showed up today with this t-shirt…that’s one resourceful pooch

IMG_5722.jpeg

• I like it 5

6 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I told my dog this bottle was $100 off at the LS and it miraculously showed up today with this t-shirt…that’s one resourceful pooch

IMG_5722.jpeg

Truly Man's best friend!

• I like it 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, Davesnothere said:

Woodford has never agreed with me, I’ve tried several iterations and it’s no bueno for my taste buds.

I don’t even see it on a shelf at the LS anymore. Too many other bottles I actually like to try and force it. 

Wow! This is my first Bakers 7. It's not inexpensive around here, $70ish, but it really butters my biscuit. 

Nice vanilla, caramel, slightly oaky,  and a bit of cherry(?). 

I know these are single barrels,  but if the others are half  as good as this one, then this one is twice as good.

I need to do a side by side comparison with the Knob Creeks and Bookers I have open. 

20230619_182651.thumb.jpg.174f0cbe088b6b15081b08f875fc12f4.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
Pandemonium
  • I like it 4

On 6/16/2023 at 9:10 PM, Kepler said:

Us bean counters get no respect.

OTOH, I really like the double oaked WR, but agree that it is a gotta-be-in-the-mood choice.

Pat

• I like it 2

a bit on the warm side of late in TX. I usually imbibe neat but opted for some ice tonight.

PHC from 2012. My last bottle of three.

Pat

20230619_211621.jpg

• I like it 9

On 6/18/2023 at 7:48 PM, jvd99 said:

Hehehehe!!!

20 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Wow! This is my first Bakers 7. It's not inexpensive around here, $70ish, but it really butters my biscuit. 

Nice vanilla, caramel, slightly oaky,  and a bit of cherry(?). 

I know these are single barrels,  but if the others are half  as good as this one, then this one is twice as good.

I need to do a side by side comparison with the Knob Creeks and Bookers I have open. 

I never really thought about SBS even tho they are all JB.

Booker's is more, More...

KC is caramel apple, personified...

And Baker's has been more, here I am, even-keeled but just damn good...

• I like it 2

On 6/19/2023 at 9:23 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Us bean counters get no respect.

OTOH, I really like the double oaked WR, but agree that it is a gotta-be-in-the-mood choice.

Pat

I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to offend.  I respect accountants a ton. Very important work y'all do, and very talented people that I know personally.  But I don't necessarily respect companies that make major commercial decisions based on what are obviously profit-only factors.  "Profit-first"?  Yes absolutely, it's only good business.  Profit only?  That's different.

Cracked this one yesterday - haven't had any Weller is a years as its not something I bunkered before Covid. Glad to revisit....

IMG_5740.jpeg

• I like it 8

Cracked open the HH20 Friday night. Didn't love it but didn't hate it. Has a GREAT mouth feel. Very oily almost. Has a dusty corn sweetness. A little water really improved it. Finish was the most disappointing thing about it. Poof..it was gone. Tried it against the HH17. The 17 was clearly better but it's still not an earth shattering pour either. There is really only a difference of a bit more corn and a bit less rye in their mashbills but of course the corn whiskey is in used barrels. (Corn whiskey = 80 corn, 8 rye, 12 barley. Bourbon = 78 corn, 10 rye, 12 barley.) 
Moved on to quite a few other things. Some are pictured below. Not pictured..69 Chessman, ECBP Batch 12, KoK, MWND Act 3, HW Prisoner. Might be more...but Saturday morning was a little fuzzy.  EW23 probably my favorite.

20230623_200256.jpg

20230623_202908.jpg

20230623_211641.jpg

20230623_211913.jpg

20230623_221149.jpg

20230623_221252.jpg

• I like it 8

On 6/25/2023 at 6:17 PM, Clueby said:

Cracked open the HH20 Friday night. Didn't love it but didn't hate it. Has a GREAT mouth feel. Very oily almost. Has a dusty corn sweetness. A little water really improved it. Finish was the most disappointing thing about it. Poof..it was gone. Tried it against the HH17. The 17 was clearly better but it's still not an earth shattering pour either. There is really only a difference of a bit more corn and a bit less rye in their mashbills but of course the corn whiskey is in used barrels. (Corn whiskey = 80 corn, 8 rye, 12 barley. Bourbon = 78 corn, 10 rye, 12 barley.) 
Moved on to quite a few other things. Some are pictured below. Not pictured..69 Chessman, ECBP Batch 12, KoK, MWND Act 3, HW Prisoner. Might be more...but Saturday morning was a little fuzzy.  EW23 probably my favorite.

20230623_200256.jpg

20230623_202908.jpg

20230623_211641.jpg

20230623_211913.jpg

20230623_221149.jpg

20230623_221252.jpg

EW23 is special. I have a number of them stashed away that are pre fire and wow are they amazing.

• I like it 6

6 hours ago, flahute said:

I have a number of them stashed away that are pre fire and wow are they amazing

Really? That is incredible, most of us will never even have a chance of tasting this......

• I like it 2

On 6/27/2023 at 12:11 AM, flahute said:

EW23 is special. I have a number of them stashed away that are pre fire and wow are they amazing.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:46 AM, Obree said:

Really? That is incredible, most of us will never even have a chance of tasting this......

I have a 24 year pre fire bottle that I paid waaaaay too much for, and have yet to open.  My # came up in a lottery for the chance to buy one.   As a cheap bastard, it almost killed me to blow the dust and cobwebs out of my  wallet to buy it.      It's the only bottle of whiskey that I purchased, where I've contemplated selling it.     I'm still on the fence about cracking it open.    Maybe my reply to these posts is a way to get some of the enablers on this board to nudge me towards opening it!

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have a 24 year pre fire bottle that I paid waaaaay too much for, and have yet to open.  My # came up in a lottery for the chance to buy one.   As a cheap bastard, it almost killed me to blow the dust and cobwebs out of my  wallet to buy it.      It's the only bottle of whiskey that I purchased, where I've contemplated selling it.     I'm still on the fence about cracking it open.    Maybe my reply to these posts is a way to get some of the enablers on this board to nudge me towards opening it!

I know that dilemma! Have some bottles that are quite hard to get over here, and I really hesitate to open them!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Obree said:

I know that dilemma! Have some bottles that are quite hard to get over here, and I really hesitate to open them!

Just my 2cents, open-drink-enjoy.  That’s what it’s for. When I’m gone my goal is to have my bunker contain only the worst whiskies I ever bought.  Cheers!

• I like it 5

21 minutes ago, Bret Bret said:

Just my 2cents, open-drink-enjoy.  That’s what it’s for. When I’m gone my goal is to have my bunker contain only the worst whiskies I ever bought.  Cheers!

solid advice!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Drink it!

• I like it 2