What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I needed to grab some beer for later. Just for convenience, I stopped at a liquor store across the street from the bowling alley after practice this morning. New owners(?), store rearranged, even more tater now. Took a look, but passed on everything.  Sad 💩. 🤬

MM-$34.99

BT-$39.99

Weller SR-$79.99

ER-$89.99

Blanton’s-$199.99

10 years ago, you could have purchased all 5 bottles, with the MM and BT both being 1.75 L for less than the price of the Blanton's.  In fact you would have had $50 left over to take the family out for dinner.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I needed to grab some beer for later. Just for convenience, I stopped at a liquor store across the street from the bowling alley after practice this morning. New owners(?), store rearranged, even more tater now. Took a look, but passed on everything.  Sad 💩. 🤬

MM-$34.99

BT-$39.99

Weller SR-$79.99

ER-$89.99

Blanton’s-$199.99

✋😮🤚  🔫

• I like it 2

I’m wondering if this store was bought by someone that has another store or two in the area. The prices I posted above were virtually identical to that of another store I stopped at a few weeks ago. No real evidence to support this, but it appears that there are a couple of different entities that have two or three stores in our area. It almost seems like they’re vying for the title of “Tater King”. Also, we don’t have many independent stores left. Sadly, what few we do have seem to be creeping closer towards becoming  full out tater stores. It looks like Binny’s may soon be about the only halfway decent store in the immediate area. 

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped at Sam’s Club the other day to stock up on a few things. I always gotta check the bourbon. They had Willett , but I passed. 

IMG_2372.thumb.jpeg.8894aa86529858898069cc1c6b7a9af7.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We stopped at Sam’s Club the other day to stock up on a few things. I always gotta check the bourbon. They had Willett , but I passed. 

IMG_2372.thumb.jpeg.8894aa86529858898069cc1c6b7a9af7.jpeg

It's the bong bottle. 😁

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

It's the bong bottle. 😁

haha...so true.  Or, if you rub it, I Dream of Jeannie might come out.  Of course, if it is sold at Costco it would be the 90 year old version of Barbara Eden.  

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

haha...so true.  Or, if you rub it, I Dream of Jeannie might come out.  Of course, if it is sold at Costco it would be the 90 year old version of Barbara Eden.  

I read this somewhere.  It might be true.  The bottle they used as a prop on the tv show was a contemporary off the shelf Jim Beam decanter.

• I like it 1

I won’t tell the story this time like I did in the “Purchase” thread.  🙃 I stopped at Binny’s and passed on the FR 10 Recipe Sampler. Interested, but not for $129.99. 

IMG_4172.thumb.jpeg.8ab7d5d7f8278c03f0bc26fb46622361.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I won’t tell the story this time like I did in the “Purchase” thread.  🙃 I stopped at Binny’s and passed on the FR 10 Recipe Sampler. Interested, but not for $129.99. 

Yep that's too steep for the volume.  I'd have to pass on that too.  

I don't get the decision by Four Roses (really Kirin).  Only loyal fans of the Four Roses brand are the target customer for this sampler (I don't think they are looking to attract new fans with this geeky sampler are they?)...., so releasing this sampler is in effect giving their own fans what they want.  However the pricing just ends up screwing them. 

Oh well, if they allow themselves to get screwed, then I guess it's not really Kirin's fault...

• I like it 1

I passed on a 9 year EC BP store pick at over $90.    9 year EC for that much?  They have jumped the shark.  I'm definitely out at that price ... let the foolish taters have at it.   

• I like it 5

7 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I don't get the decision by Four Roses (really Kirin).  Only loyal fans of the Four Roses brand are the target customer for this sampler (I don't think they are looking to attract new fans with this geeky sampler are they?)...., so releasing this sampler is in effect giving their own fans what they want.  However the pricing just ends up screwing them. 

Oh well, if they allow themselves to get screwed, then I guess it's not really Kirin's fault...

I receive regular mailings from Four Roses. From both the regular and Mellow Moments sites. I quickly read through the email I received. I thought it would be for Mellow Moments members first, then at the distillery gift shop. Gotta remember to not just skim through my emails in the future. 😏

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I wouldn’t say screwed.

I did the math and initially frowned on it….. until I learned it was batched.  The 4R nerd in me has been wanting this for years, because it effectively eliminates a lot of the single barrel variables and provides a true average of what each recipe should taste like.

Realistically, how many of us are going to open multiple store picks and blend them together to do this ourselves?

So like you mentioned,

targeted towards the fanboys.

The high price makes it reasonably obtainable, likely not hoarded, and provides the experience you can’t get anywhere else.

Packaging adds an element of cost too.

And who knows.  If it sits too long, places will start sale pricing to move it out. 😁

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

I wouldn’t say screwed.

I did the math and initially frowned on it….. until I learned it was batched.  The 4R nerd in me has been wanting this for years, because it effectively eliminates a lot of the single barrel variables and provides a true average of what each recipe should taste like.

Realistically, how many of us are going to open multiple store picks and blend them together to do this ourselves?

So like you mentioned,

The high price makes it reasonably obtainable, likely not hoarded, and provides the experience you can’t get anywhere else.

And who knows.  If it sits too long, places will start sale pricing to move it out. 😁

I think this depends on what you want it for. I look at this and see a tasting party with friends & family and would go the $130 for the fun of it.

Truly I have enjoyed all 4R stuff that I've been through, but it fits more, my Wife, Daughter & DIL's profiles than my own. Who hasn't spent a few duckies to please the ladies???

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

I wouldn’t say screwed.

So like you mentioned,

11 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I think this depends on what you want it for. I look at this and see a tasting party with friends & family and would go the $130 for the fun of it.

Truly I have enjoyed all 4R stuff that I've been through, but it fits more, my Wife, Daughter & DIL's profiles than my own. Who hasn't spent a few duckies to please the ladies???

I didn't realize they were batched.   I agree that is a positive. 

But to me, I was disappointed when I found out they were going to be 50 ml bottles.  When clamoring for a 4R sampler collection I always envisioned a collection of 200ml size flasks.   Personally I need more than an airplane size to get to know any particular whiskey.  50ml certainly would not be suitable for a tasting party any larger than 4 people, and even that might be dicey.

None of this matters much to those of us that are lucky enough to have all 10 recipes anyway, but I still think they ought to consider a 200ml sampler in the future, and to price it where it makes more economic sense to the buyer.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

I didn't realize they were batched.   I agree that is a positive. 

But to me, I was disappointed when I found out they were going to be 50 ml bottles.  When clamoring for a 4R sampler collection I always envisioned a collection of 200ml size flasks.   Personally I need more than an airplane size to get to know any particular whiskey.  50ml certainly would not be suitable for a tasting party any larger than 4 people, and even that might be dicey.

None of this matters much to those of us that are lucky enough to have all 10 recipes anyway, but I still think they ought to consider a 200ml sampler in the future, and to price it where it makes more economic sense to the buyer.

I agree it is a poor value, but grabbed one as soon as I saw the Binnys email. Saving for my father’s 60th birthday weekend later this year. A decent amount of bourbon drinkers will be there and I thought this would be fun. 

• I like it 6

I was interested til I saw they were 50 ml bottles. That’s not much to go around if you have a get together of 4 or 5 folks for a tasting. Funny, I just brought 50 ml Benchmark bottles to our bourbon/cigar group meeting last week. It took two 50 ml  bottles to have decent  pours for only three of us. That’s about 1 1/3 ounces each. Heck, a shot is 1.5 ounces. When I taste something, I want more than just a sip. I like to be able to sit back and enjoy something with a few sips. Maybe just me, YMMV.

• I like it 4

I think the problem may be that it’s already 500ml total, and there may be some liability issues with having 1000ml or larger quantities.
Someone, somewhere will attempt to drink it all by themselves in one sitting as a “tasting”.

I suppose one could always buy multiple sets.

• I like it 1

On 8/5/2023 at 1:32 AM, 0895 said:

I wouldn’t say screwed.

So like you mentioned,

The fact that its batched and all at the same proof as well really levels the playing field and should give you a pretty good representation of each expression.  I passed on this at retail though because I'm not a "fanboy".

• I like it 2

On 8/4/2023 at 9:58 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

IMG_4172.thumb.jpeg.8ab7d5d7f8278c03f0bc26fb46622361.jpeg

Yeah it's interesting, but also a bit of sticker shock here too.  I'm assuming all the same age, whatever that is, to keep the comparison fair.  As far as finding a full size bottle, the only one regularly available is the OBSV.  If one of those other little bottles really rings your bell - good luck.  Maybe you could eventually find a store with a single barrel selection, or not, may take years.

• I like it 1

Heaven Hill 17yr $1000

EC 18 $300

EC Toasted $150

Guy told me the HH17 would make a good gift to someone. 😂😂🤣🤣

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, JGriff said:

Heaven Hill 17yr $1000

EC 18 $300

EC Toasted $150

Guy told me the HH17 would make a good gift to someone. 😂😂🤣🤣

Those are great prices.  I can't believe you passed.  Well, hopefully, you will come to your senses.  😀

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Those are great prices.  I can't believe you passed.  Well, hopefully, you will come to your senses.  😀

Forgot to ask how much the Weller 12, VOSN, ETL, RHF.  I figured they were outrageous too.