What Bourbon did you Purchase the Spring of 2023?

Skinsfan1311

53 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I picked up a couple of bottles in a trade today. 🤔

We gave our son and his family our old Vizio 58” flatscreen tv. He gave me the BT and Weller SR.  😁

IMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.a3da92b2b8fc3c74269b975e22a675ab.jpeg

Of course, that was for the TV and power cord. 

He will need to pony up another bottle if he wants the controller. 😜

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

Stopped at the local Meijer today. They must have had a recent BT drop. I grabbed a bottle of BT and  bottle of Sazerac Rye. 

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Of course, that was for the TV and power cord. 

He will need to pony up another bottle if he wants the controller. 😜

Well, the remote was included, but it had no batteries. 🙃

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, the remote was included, but it had no batteries. 🙃

FWIW, I texted my son later and apologized for no batteries in the remote. He’s an outside salesman for a company that supplies metal cutting tools and numerous other products to their customers. He replied to my text, “Lol it’s all good. I know a place where I can get batteries for cost.”  A chip off the old block. 🙄

• I like it 3

I was in Louisville, this past week and got lucky at the Evan Williams bourbon experience. Picked up two really good bottles.

CE3FEE0F-4A1B-4193-8C5A-0CA1173E8664.thumb.jpeg.cb4ad72816d38dba55fb4b02cdefbef0.jpeg

• I like it 16

4 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I was in Louisville, this past week and got lucky at the Evan Williams bourbon experience. Picked up two really good bottles.

CE3FEE0F-4A1B-4193-8C5A-0CA1173E8664.thumb.jpeg.cb4ad72816d38dba55fb4b02cdefbef0.jpeg

Whoa! 

They didn't have that when we were there!

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, I texted my son later and apologized for no batteries in the remote. He’s an outside salesman for a company that supplies metal cutting tools and numerous other products to their customers. He replied to my text, “Lol it’s all good. I know a place where I can get batteries for cost.”  A chip off the old block. 🙄

That's what he told you.  That's not what he was thinking.  😀

Picked up a couple of Blanton's and an OWA this past week.  One of the Blanton's went to my son who happened to be visiting from California.  He said he never sees them in the Los Angeles area so was very grateful.

• I like it 3

Another trade, uhhh….well, actually a gift.🤨 We purchased a huge cantilever umbrella for our back patio a couple of weeks or so ago. Shade for sunny days on the back patio. Today is our 41st anniversary.  Weller SR for me. Hanging solar lights for our umbrella  for my wife. A couple more things to do, and we’ll bring out our fire table.  😁IMG_2087.thumb.jpeg.a191ea3789280849960cdad9c1c5f847.jpegIMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.c32353d1767cc4ec8ea23f92937cc44f.jpeg

• I like it 9

Thanks y’all. 

And now that it’s dark. Ooh Ahh. 😁IMG_2089.thumb.jpeg.6c285c6390de91ec27992209ba8d3fad.jpeg

• I like it 1

Asked my LS to inquire about 2023 MM BEP. He was able to get only 2 bottles. Can't find any reviews. He is holding both on my decision. Any thoughts tribe?

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Asked my LS to inquire about 2023 MM BEP. He was able to get only 2 bottles. Can't find any reviews. He is holding both on my decision. Any thoughts tribe?

There are a few reviews out there.

https://www.drinkhacker.com/2023/05/08/review-makers-mark-bep-2023-limited-release/

https://www.bourbonguy.com/blog/2023/4/13/makers-mark-wood-finishing-series-2023-release-bep

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/makers-mark-wood-finishing-series-2023-limited-release-bep

If they are close to the $70 MSRP, I would opt to pick one up.  I have enjoyed the Wood Finishing Series bottles I have tried so it should be worth the price.  Also, is the LS Manager was kind enough to seek it out and hold both bottles he received for you, then it shows good will to reward him for his effort.  It will also help build your relationship.  If you don't want to risk it on both, you could buy one and then throw in something else that you like so he sees you are a grateful customer.

Just don't be a Cheap Bastard like me and say "Hey, I'll throw in a 50 ml bottle Beam White Label."

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another trade, uhhh….well, actually a gift.🤨 We purchased a huge cantilever umbrella for our back patio a couple of weeks or so ago. Shade for sunny days on the back patio. Today is our 41st anniversary.  Weller SR for me. Hanging solar lights for our umbrella  for my wife. A couple more things to do, and we’ll bring out our fire table.  😁IMG_2087.thumb.jpeg.a191ea3789280849960cdad9c1c5f847.jpegIMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.c32353d1767cc4ec8ea23f92937cc44f.jpeg

First, Happy Anniversary.  41 years is quite the achievement.  Your wife is closing in on Sainthood.

Second, I believe I have or had the same umbrella.  We got ours from either Lowes or Walmart.  We don't have it any longer.  I believe it was a victim of a wicked unexpected middle of the night windstorm.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  We will go with that. 

• I like it 1

Stumbled on two Calumet Farm 16's which have pretty much disappeared around my parts, so they went home with me. Also took a flyer on Smooth Ambler Founder's Bourbon which is their own 6 year old cask strength distillate. Too bad their sourcing days are over - that was some good stuff - hopefully their own product can live up to it. 

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Stumbled on two Calumet Farm 16's which have pretty much disappeared around my parts, so they went home with me. Also took a flyer on Smooth Ambler Founder's Bourbon which is their own 6 year old cask strength distillate. Too bad their sourcing days are over - that was some good stuff - hopefully their own product can live up to it. 

Their sourcing continues as well - everything under the Old Scout brand is MGP distilled. I’m hoping they let the picks get back into the 8-10 year range and return to past glory.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Their sourcing continues as well - everything under the Old Scout brand is MGP distilled. I’m hoping they let the picks get back into the 8-10 year range and return to past glory.

Yeah, I realized I misspoke after I posted that, but their sourcing, as you point, out isn't nearly as robust as it used to be and everything I've found is in the 5-6 year range. Seems like they may be phasing it out for the own distillate, but now I'm just speculating. It would be nice to get those higher age ranges back, especially store picks.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:24 PM, Grady330 said:

So I grabbed both yesterday. Very, very good. If you see them, grab away.  

• I like it 3

Earlier this week some friends / neighbors dropped off some toys for our kids that theirs had outgrown.  After they did, my wife texted me, "I want to get them a nice bottle of bourbon to thank them.  What do you recommend in the 75 price range?"

I texted back, "That you can actually get in a store?  Honestly not much.  I'll check total wine online to see if I remember something."

Then after I did: "WRDO for 52. That or WTRB for 49 are probably your best bets.  Some locations have HH7BiB for 50, that would be good also."  [I spelled out the full names, though.]

Then I realized what I had texted so I continued, "Ok I'm actually going to get me the HH7BiB so I'll add another for them and order online."

Long story short, HH7BiB, which is not easy to come by in these parts.  Not as bad as allocated bourbons, but certainly not on the shelf most days.

Then while I was out and about I loaded up on others at another store today:

Calumet Farms 14 (hard to find these days and I love it)
Still Austin The Musician (only legit TX pour these days)
Evan Williams 1783 (one of the best values in bourbon)
Benchmark Small Batch (on a whim to compare to EW1783)
Boondock's 8 Port Finish (guilty pleasure)
Wyoming Whiskey (noticed batch number and age statement for first time, but I'm sure they've been on there for a while)
MMCS (also harder to find these days)

Also picked up an ER10 and two EHTSmBs locally earlier this week.

I should be set for the summer.  

Edited by dcbt
clarity
  • I like it 5

Went to Binnys for a Compass Box Peat Monster Cask Strength LE and picked up this guy at the service desk - 1 per customer 

E7901FB3-A447-4278-9A51-8A69FF5F77BE.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

Went to Binnys for a Compass Box Peat Monster Cask Strength LE and picked up this guy at the service desk - 1 per customer 

How much was the HH