What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

Stumbled on an ET in Mobile, AL. New LS, new circumstance. I don't make that trip often, but have a new stop by when I do...

• I like it 2

Had a full half day to kill and went hunting for a couple scotches and Chattanooga BiB, so highly recommended on SB. Went to 3 Binny's, a very well stocked local shop near a relative's house, and struck out on everything. Hit one last large independent LS and they had 1 bottle of the Chattanooga BiB, so it went home with me.

I got a lead on one of my scotches and I'll be looking to get it tomorrow (the Clynlish 10 from the 2023 Diageo special release)

• I like it 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:19 AM, FasterHorses said:

3A938FC0-4AC1-4D2C-8F4D-AE012BC05DA3.thumb.jpeg.17cd94bf5e6cb49c591a49c11e24517f.jpeg

On 12/12/2023 at 8:35 PM, FasterHorses said:

D54E3265-E4E3-4D3A-8708-47E18946D0F5.thumb.jpeg.9f37b32292c920197a4408d2a61fa053.jpeg

Someone is really kicking ass this season!  Congrats!

• I like it 4

Found another Chattanooga BiB. Happy with these. Trying to get anything allocated around here is pretty much a fool’s errand. Been much easier on the single malt front

IMG_6277.jpeg

• I like it 7

WT 101, OF 1910. Found a ECBP C922 at a little store in Sag Harbor at a good price. Merry Christmas to me  !!!!

• I like it 4

I really like the regular Ben Holladay BiB, so I thought I would give this a try since reviews seem decent...

20231215_151220.thumb.jpg.0ab385de96432edc05fcf13e6d40d38c.jpg

• I like it 7

Grabbed a backup bottle of the Holladay wheater since it was on sale. Also been wanting to try the Green River out, so I grabbed one as well.

20231215_144542.jpg

• I like it 7

Got my K&L delivery yesterday.  I'm excited to try the JDSBBP rye and the two Dickel 15 yr (actually 16yr) store picks.  These Dickel 15 SiBs are usually under 100 proof but these are 104.6.  I was suprised to see these show up as I thought these extra aged store picks had gone the way of the Knob Creek 15yr picks.  Especially since Dickel just came out with 17 and 18 yr releases at many multiples in price over the $55 that these cost. 

And, last but not least, two more bottles of ECBP B523.  Because of the loss of the 12yr age statement, this batch hasn't gotten a lot of love in the bourbonverse but I bought one bottle to try when it first showed up and liked it so much I had to get a couple more.  Given the deep color and depth of flavor and complexity, I'm sure there are some much older barrels in this batch than the 11yr 5mo age statement would suggest.  To my palate, it's notably better than the A123, which is a pretty good batch too. 

KL delivery 12.23.jpg

• I like it 9

I picked up a 9yr RRSiB PS from Tyrone whse B.  I wasn't looking to buy another RR single barrel but it's hard to pass on one from what is probably my favorite rickhouse.

I also picked up a backup bottle of Signatory cask strength scotch from Bunnahabhain that I really like. 

• I like it 2

Sadly, I struck out on the one lottery I entered here. So ends the streak of my name being drawn every other year. ☹️ 

On a different note, we had to go out to the grocery store yet again to get more baking supplies and goodies for my wife’s cookies and other treats. Yes, I looked in the liquor department. There was a person there putting some bottles out on the shelf. I asked about a couple of things, and she went in back to look. It’s been ages since I’ve purchased Blanton’s here in Illinois. I’ve now bought two in about a month. Both were pretty much at msrp.  😎

IMG_3313.thumb.jpeg.4c0e1e8a8b3c568b627e48eb516963ec.jpeg

• I like it 11

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sadly, I struck out on the one lottery I entered here. So ends the streak of my name being drawn every other year. ☹️ 

On a different note, we had to go out to the grocery store yet again to get more baking supplies and goodies for my wife’s cookies and other treats. Yes, I looked in the liquor department. There was a person there putting some bottles out on the shelf. I asked about a couple of things, and she went in back to look. It’s been ages since I’ve purchased Blanton’s here in Illinois. I’ve now bought two in about a month. Both were pretty much at msrp.  😎

IMG_3313.thumb.jpeg.4c0e1e8a8b3c568b627e48eb516963ec.jpeg

Every once in awhile Joe.  Every once in a while.  Nice score.

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Every once in awhile Joe.  Every once in a while.  Nice score.

Thanks @Kepler.  Good scores around here have been  relatively few and far in between for a long time. I feel like I’ve had more luck in the last couple of months or so than I have in the last couple of years. I know I probably have enough bourbon, but old habits die hard, and in the background looms FOMO. 🤗

• I like it 2

I'm very pleased to welcome these two new initiates,  just the thing to brighten up a rainy Sunday.

The Sagamore 8 at 75 bucks is worth the scratch.   I'm crazy about their MGP high-rye and Kentucky style blend,  which for my taste is the  best rye out there for balancing spicy and sweet.  A candy of a rye,  I have recently favored their "Barrel Select" program for individual stores,  where I get robust proof, 6 years of age,  and THAT WONDERFUL BLEND.   

Here it is at 8.   It may be okay.

The Manatawney bottle is from their tasting room.   I think their four grain is unique and great,  mostly consisting of malted barley (and small amounts of rye, wheat and oats).   I've been a fan since their batch #2,   and here it is, attaining the craft distiller's marker of quality,  along with 53 gallon barrels and 7 years old.   They released an 8-year this past spring, for their 9th anniversary,  and it's the first craft American whiskey of any type for which I'd use the descriptor "luxurious".   At 84 proof,  it's plum jam with a velvet mouthful.   

This new one loses a year and gains proof more to the liking of a bourbon drinker.   

20231217_165529.jpg

20231217_165529.jpg

• I like it 4

My name was drawn in a liquor store bourbon club raffle.   They read a long list of allocated bottles that were available to pick from.  I opted for ECBP B523.  The price was right and it is a favorite.  What was cool is when I went to the store to pick it up they let me go back into the storeroom to see if there were any available bottles I would prefer instead. They had a nice selection of bottles to choose from including Bookers, Little Book, CEHT, ER, Larceny BP, and several others. 

They had a few other bottles I might have been considered (Blanton's STFB, Blanton's Gold) but they were tagged for others whose names were drawn before mine.  

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My name was drawn in a liquor store bourbon club raffle.   They read a long list of allocated bottles that were available to pick from.  I opted for ECBP B523.  The price was right and it is a favorite.  What was cool is when I went to the store to pick it up they let me go back into the storeroom to see if there were any available bottles I would prefer instead. They had a nice selection of bottles to choose from including Bookers, Little Book, CEHT, ER, Larceny BP, and several others. 

They had a few other bottles I might have been considered (Blanton's STFB, Blanton's Gold) but they were tagged for others whose names were drawn before mine.  

Ahh it's always nice to get led into the back room to pick out a bottle.  VIP access! 

It's been a long time since that happened to me.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

ECBP at a good price, you just can't pass.

The Larceny BP is interesting, never tried it.  The Blanton's SFTB and Gold are interesting too, but no doubt 2 or 3 times the price of the ECBP.  

On 12/15/2023 at 5:57 PM, bayouredd said:

I really like the regular Ben Holladay BiB, so I thought I would give this a try since reviews seem decent...

20231215_151220.thumb.jpg.0ab385de96432edc05fcf13e6d40d38c.jpg

how was it?

On 12/15/2023 at 11:14 PM, Double C's said:

Grabbed a backup bottle of the Holladay wheater since it was on sale. Also been wanting to try the Green River out, so I grabbed one as well.

20231215_144542.jpg

I drank some of the Holladay wheat yesterday.  Such an easy wheater to drink.  Go Missouri!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, VWIndy said:

I drank some of the Holladay wheat yesterday.  Such an easy wheater to drink.  Go Missouri!

Once I get my hands on a bottle of the Bardstown Origin Bottled-in-bond wheater, I am going to do a 100pf wheater flight to see how they rank. Current plan is to have; Holladay soft red wheat, Copper Dome wheat whiskey(also from Missouri), Rebel 100, Bardstown Origin BIB wheater, and possibly Makers Mark 101.

• I like it 3

Picked up a bottle of OGD bonded to give to a coworker that just became a grandpa for the first time. He's more of a lower proof drinker so I opted to not get OGD114 due to that.

• I like it 2

Last day of a retailer's week long sale. I waited until the last day because I really wasn't feeling.  However,  I needed to get a gift card and wanted to pick up a couple of bottles of gin for gifts. I noticed 3 bottles of HMcK10 on the shelf. I walked out with 2 at $40 each. I also grabbed 2 FRSiB for $33 each.

I didn't buy the gin. It was too expensive.  😮

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 7

9 hours ago, Double C's said:

Picked up a bottle of OGD bonded to give to a coworker that just became a grandpa for the first time. He's more of a lower proof drinker so I opted to not get OGD114 due to that.

Going out tomorrow to replenish my OGD BIB supply, it being my most consumed bourbon, and to load up on 375s of Dolins vermouths for winter month Manhattans.  The OGD will be consumed neat; the Manhattans will have various 100/101 proof ryes in them.  THANKS for validating my foray into the Holiday shopping madness.

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Last day of a retailer's week long sale. I waited until the last day because I really wasn't feeling.  However,  I needed to get a gift card and wanted to pick up a couple of bottles of gin for gifts. I noticed 3 bottles of HMcK10 on the shelf. I walked out with 2 at $40 each. I also grabbed 2 FRSiB for $33 each.

I didn't buy the gin. It was too expensive.  😮

I went to that same sale early the first day here on the South side.  I managed to grab three Pikesville under $27 each, a KC Rye 7 year same price, and two FRYL 1.75L @ $33 a piece.  🤩  This was at the smaller, older store.

Today I went to the bigger, newer store.  I only came home with milk and food.

• I like it 5