What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

I.W. Harper finished in Cabernet cask

JB SiB

JDSBS gift pack that includes a large glen cairn shaped snifter

All gifts for a few of my tailgate buddies..

• I like it 2

On 11/29/2023 at 6:41 PM, JGriff said:

Today was a good day. 

IMG_2035.jpeg

What did the KC 18 year set you back, if you don't mind my asking?

Edited by Skinsfan1311

I too stumbled on a KC18 at retail price today. Went to Binny's for a new release Laphroiag single barrel (see Foreign Whisky threads) and this was at the customer service desk - 1 per customer. Good day for me. These are usually marked up significantly around me, if ever even seen in the wild.

IMG_6249.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

I too stumbled on a KC18 at retail price today. Went to Binny's for a new release Laphroiag single barrel (see Foreign Whisky threads) and this was at the customer service desk - 1 per customer. Good day for me. These are usually marked up significantly around me, if ever even seen in the wild.

IMG_6249.jpeg

$170.00 retail?    I saw a couple today, but I passed because they were ~ $239.00

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

$170.00 retail?    I saw a couple today, but I passed because they were ~ $239.00

I have seen it several places.  Two grocery chains had it several bottles deep for $149.99 and a liquor store had a single bottle for $179.99.  I believe the MSRP is $170 so so all three had reasonable prices.  I enjoyed many KCBP store picks that were 14+ years old and 120 proof over the years.  But, occasionally, I would run into one that was little woody.  I believe KC really sings at 9 years and 12 years and that is good enough for me.  But, for those who enjoy KC and also older whiskeys, this is probably a good one.

I bought two KC9 for $19.99 each.  I also bought a 1792 BIB for $39.99.  I have never seen it in Indy.  It was on a display they have at the end of their counter.  Thinking it was on display and you had to ask for it, I asked if they had any.  He looked in their computer system and said it looked like they were out.  I asked what about that bottle pointing to the display at the end of the counter.  He said he wondered why the system showed they had a quantity of -1.  I was curious how it compared to VOB BIB.  I like it a little better.  It is less rough around the edges.  But, what do I know?  It might be the same thing and the fancy bottle has me fooled.

• I like it 3

This whiskey has intrigued me since I heard of it, as I enjoy standard Woodford and a full proof version has always sounded like something I would like to experience.  I stumbled across it on Friday, and despite its hefty $150 price, I picked it up.  First taste from the bottle was inconclusive, but it was late and after a total cluster of spicy food and other bourbons.  Love the minimalist but hefty glass bottle.  Looking forward to an in depth dive into it soon.

0863A40F-EAD6-46AB-9757-BADE2BEB9D45.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yep, I think 169. Fell within $10 per year which is my cutoff for when I start questioning myself, but I’m easily talked into things at the LS B)

• I like it 4

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have seen it several places.  Two grocery chains had it several bottles deep for $149.99 and a liquor store had a single bottle for $179.99.  I believe the MSRP is $170 so so all three had reasonable prices.  I enjoyed many KCBP store picks that were 14+ years old and 120 proof over the years.  But, occasionally, I would run into one that was little woody.  I believe KC really sings at 9 years and 12 years and that is good enough for me.  But, for those who enjoy KC and also older whiskeys, this is probably a good one.

I bought two KC9 for $19.99 each.  I also bought a 1792 BIB for $39.99.  I have never seen it in Indy.  It was on a display they have at the end of their counter.  Thinking it was on display and you had to ask for it, I asked if they had any.  He looked in their computer system and said it looked like they were out.  I asked what about that bottle pointing to the display at the end of the counter.  He said he wondered why the system showed they had a quantity of -1.  I was curious how it compared to VOB BIB.  I like it a little better.  It is less rough around the edges.  But, what do I know?  It might be the same thing and the fancy bottle has me fooled.

I like all iterations of KC bourbon, regardless of the age.  

The 12 is my favorite but, when I'm in the mood for aged whiskey,  I'll have a pour of the 15. I like the 15, a lot, but I don't see replacing the bottle when it's gone.

I really want to try the 18, but the price frightens me.

I'm not a fan of 1792.  We visited the distillery,  years ago, and the people who worked there were a blast. I want to like it, but I don't.  It drinks hot to me, even the standard. I have a bottle of the FP that will probably outlive me

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Yep, I think 169. Fell within $10 per year which is my cutoff for when I start questioning myself, but I’m easily talked into things at the LS B)

"$10 per year"

I like that standard.

It gives me a baseline for my spending😅

20 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

This whiskey has intrigued me since I heard of it, as I enjoy standard Woodford and a full proof version has always sounded like something I would like to experience.  I stumbled across it on Friday, and despite its hefty $150 price, I picked it up.  First taste from the bottle was inconclusive, but it was late and after a total cluster of spicy food and other bourbons.  Love the minimalist but hefty glass bottle.  Looking forward to an in depth dive into it soon.

0863A40F-EAD6-46AB-9757-BADE2BEB9D45.jpeg

...another 700ml bottle..😑

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

...another 700ml bottle..😑

Shrinkflation, price gouging, or standardizing bottles for worldwide distribution - pick your poison - but the 750s will be dustiest in the next 10 years IMO

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, jvd99 said:

Shrinkflation, price gouging, or standardizing bottles for worldwide distribution - pick your poison - but the 750s will be dustiest in the next 10 years IMO

Agreed.😡

• I like it 1

Simply, it’s standardizing bottle size for global distribution (which saves costs long term).  A short term up hit for standard bottles? Sure.  But, how many bottles have been downsized from 750 to 700?  That washes out after the first run.  I just don’t see the problem for us consumers.  

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Simply, it’s standardizing bottle size for global distribution (which saves costs long term).  A short term up hit for standard bottles? Sure.  But, how many bottles have been downsized from 750 to 700?  That washes out after the first run.  I just don’t see the problem for us consumers.  

I understand why. I just don't like it. 

16 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Except prices dont get reduced accordingly. There's always a rub....

• I like it 4

49 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Except prices dont get reduced accordingly. There's always a rub....

But, wouldn’t that be applicable only to current bottles that have been downsized from 750 to 700?  Doesn’t really affect new releases that start out at 700 ml.

in addition, there’s the whole difference in retail pricing from individual regional markets, distributors, local stores, etc.  I believe it becomes a moot point.  For instance, in my area, MM101 sells at a price significantly above Cask Strength in most stores.  Point is, pricing at retail is relative.  A 7% volume difference is inconsequential in the scheme of things in the end.  

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I also bought a 1792 BIB for $39.99.  I have never seen it in Indy.  It was on a display they have at the end of their counter.  Thinking it was on display and you had to ask for it, I asked if they had any.  He looked in their computer system and said it looked like they were out.  I asked what about that bottle pointing to the display at the end of the counter.  He said he wondered why the system showed they had a quantity of -1.  I was curious how it compared to VOB BIB.  I like it a little better.  It is less rough around the edges.  But, what do I know?  It might be the same thing and the fancy bottle has me fooled.

I think the 1792 BiB is definitely worth the price at MSRP.  The only 1792 bottles I rate higher than the BiB are the High Rye (orange neckband) and the Single Barrel (beige neckband).   I am not a big fan of all the others.  I bought bottles of the Full Proof that I regret purchasing.  I mix them with other stuff to get rid of them.  I enjoy the Sweet Wheat as a change of pace pour -- along with standard Maker's Mark and WSR it's one of the best choices when you need a "soft" bourbon after eating spicy foods.  These are great whenever I eat Tex-Mex for dinner.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Sorry, with all due respect, this is a naive take.  This is shrinkflation.  It happened across many industries all over.  Spirits are no different.

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Sorry, with all due respect, this is a naive take.  This is shrinkflation.  It happened across many industries all over.  Spirits are no different.

I agree. If you want to standardize for global distribution, lead the way and introduce the 800 ml bottle. 😁

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I.W. Harper finished in Cabernet cask

JB SiB

JDSBS gift pack that includes a large glen cairn shaped snifter

All gifts for a few of my tailgate buddies..

Would you mind posting a photo of the JDSBS gift pack. I might be interested in looking for that also.  

5 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I agree. If you want to standardize for global distribution, lead the way and introduce the 800 ml bottle. 😁

Right haha.

For those naive skeptics that are still in denial, please take note than many scotch brands (e.g., Glenallachie) have already converted their ENTIRE portfolio to 700ml bottles here in the USA.  New products from heavy hitter producers such as Brown-Forman (i.e. Jack Daniels) have already started introducing their NEW products (not their old products, which would piss off old customers like us) in 700 mL size.  Eventually you naysayers will get a clue about what is happening.  Shinkflation is real (not a conspiracy theory) and is already THE NORM in all other mass-produced industries; ... why would the spirits industry be any different?

• I like it 2

I've said it before, my favorite size bottle is 1 liter (as I pour from a liter bottle of JW Dant).

700ml just doesn't seem big enough.  It's like those 330ml beer bottles.  Just feel like I'm getting gypped.

700ml, we're supposed to get all this great stuff from overseas.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Right haha.

For those naive skeptics that are still in denial, please take note than many scotch brands (e.g., Glenallachie) have already converted their ENTIRE portfolio to 700ml bottles here in the USA.  New products from heavy hitter producers such as Brown-Forman (i.e. Jack Daniels) have already started introducing their NEW products (not their old products, which would piss off old customers like us) in 700 mL size.  Eventually you naysayers will get a clue about what is happening.  Shinkflation is real (not a conspiracy theory) and is already THE NORM in all other mass-produced industries; ... why would the spirits industry be any different?

I don't know man - inflation and/or price increases will happen one way or the other. You can do it the standard way, or you can do it the shrinkflation way. That buys you one cycle. After that it's business as ususal. It happens either way. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I don't know man - inflation and/or price increases will happen one way or the other. You can do it the standard way, or you can do it the shrinkflation way. That buys you one cycle. After that it's business as ususal. It happens either way. 

Huh?  I don't understand your point.  Companies across any industry that sell packaged products are using shrinkflation as a means of deceiving their customers.  Liquor/spirits are no different.

• I like it 1