What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

I saw @markandrex's tip about packing bottles in old toner cartridge packaging so I thought I'd give it a try.  I figured the easiest way to test it was to fly from L.A. to Kansas City, spend the weekend with my buddies, go to the Monday Night Football game vs the Eagles, tailgate with a bunch of new friends, sit through the rain watching the game, then pick up a couple of bottles of Ben Holladay BIB Missouri Straight Bourbon Whiskey and pack them home in the suitcase.

Worked like a charm.  Must do again.

Tailgate.jpg

At the game.jpg

Ben Holladay pair.jpg

• I like it 11

Stopped at my local retailer for some wine, and saw that they had KC12 on sale for $55 (Usually $67 there) so grabbed a bottle.

• I like it 6

On 11/18/2023 at 7:22 PM, Davesnothere said:

It was a beautiful day and we decided to take a drive to see if we could find an EC 923. 

Once again we struck out, but apparently southern middle TN was deluged with Blanton's Gold and SFTB this week.

Each of our top three shops had Gold store picks, and one had SFTB.  It was wonderful  to walk in and see them sitting there and not at museum prices. 

The weird part is all of them are either B or L tops.🤷‍♂️

20231118_155544.thumb.jpg.cd4854cce025b54d74766b308454f9c8.jpg

Must be nice as hell as they are like hen's teeth here for any of them unless you want to pay double or triple the price.

Stopped at my favorite local LS tonight to see what new holiday gift boxes were available.  Not crazy about the selection, but the RR SiB for $49.99 caught my eye.  One came home with me tonight.  Gonna bring it along to my brother's house tomorrow as the alternative "turkey."

• I like it 4

I went whiskey shopping today but I bought zero bourbon or rye.  I did come home with four bottles of scotch however.  Seeing all the overpriced bourbon turned me off and I opted for some nicely age-stated scotch instead, at justifiable prices for the age and available on the shelf!

• I like it 4

I went to my local liquor store to get a bottle of cognac and rum to make homemade egg nog (recipe below).  I ended up using Wild Turkey 101 that I already had for the bourbon component.  Anyways, as I am sure we all do when inside such a store, is check out the whiskey selections.  This store usually has a few barrel selects, and on top of one of the barrels, was an Old Fitzgerald 10 year, Spring 2023, along with some Larceny BP, and Knob Creek 18 at MSRP!  I've never seen one just out in the open!  I could not believe it, and it came home with me!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eggnog recipe:

10 eggs, separated

3 cups granulated sugar (Baker’s sugar is easiest, this time I used vanilla sugar--which is sugar aged with finely minced vanilla bean)

1.5 pints (24 fluid ounces) white rum

1 quart heavy cream
1 pint (16 fluid ounces)

1 pint bourbon whiskey
 (16 fluid ounces)

1 pint (16 fluid ounces) brandy

3 quarts milk

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 (or to taste, I use more)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste, I use more)
Beat the egg yolks until smooth. Pour beaten yolk into pot or mixing bowl having at least
a 7-quart capacity. Add the sugar and stir well until the mix is well integrated.
Add the rum slowly and stir well until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the cream and stir to
blend. Add the bourbon, brandy, milk, then spices, mixing well after each addition.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and smooth but not too firm,
about one to two minutes with an electric beater on high. Add the beaten egg white to the
eggnog mixture. Beat the eggnog mixture well, about two minutes.
Ladle the eggnog into storage bottles, taking care to portion the foamy top froth
proportionally into the bottles. Stir the mixture vigorously between bottles to mix up any
sugar or spice sediment. Chill bottles.
For a lighter, frothier eggnog, drink within a day or two. Eggnog can be aged for up to six
weeks and gets thicker and more complex with time. Shake bottles at least once a week to
keep mixed, and shake well before serving. Makes about 6 quarts.

IMG_7312.jpeg

IMG_7311.jpeg

Edited by Jazz Nut
  • I like it 13

14 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

I went to my local liquor store to get a bottle of cognac and rum to make homemade egg nog (recipe below).  I ended up using Wild Turkey 101 that I already had for the bourbon component.  Anyways, as I am sure we all do when inside such a store, is check out the whiskey selections.  This store usually has a few barrel selects, and on top of one of the barrels, was an Old Fitzgerald 10 year, Spring 2023, along with some Larceny BP, and Knob Creek 18 at MSRP!  I've never seen one just out in the open!  I could not believe it, and it came home with me!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eggnog recipe:

10 eggs, separated

3 cups granulated sugar (Baker’s sugar is easiest, this time I used vanilla sugar--which is sugar aged with finely minced vanilla bean)

1.5 pints (24 fluid ounces) white rum

1 quart heavy cream
1 pint (16 fluid ounces)

1 pint bourbon whiskey
 (16 fluid ounces)

1 pint (16 fluid ounces) brandy

3 quarts milk

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 (or to taste, I use more)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste, I use more)
Beat the egg yolks until smooth. Pour beaten yolk into pot or mixing bowl having at least
a 7-quart capacity. Add the sugar and stir well until the mix is well integrated.
Add the rum slowly and stir well until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the cream and stir to
blend. Add the bourbon, brandy, milk, then spices, mixing well after each addition.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and smooth but not too firm,
about one to two minutes with an electric beater on high. Add the beaten egg white to the
eggnog mixture. Beat the eggnog mixture well, about two minutes.
Ladle the eggnog into storage bottles, taking care to portion the foamy top froth
proportionally into the bottles. Stir the mixture vigorously between bottles to mix up any
sugar or spice sediment. Chill bottles.
For a lighter, frothier eggnog, drink within a day or two. Eggnog can be aged for up to six
weeks and gets thicker and more complex with time. Shake bottles at least once a week to
keep mixed, and shake well before serving. Makes about 6 quarts.

IMG_7311.jpeg

I love the froth from homemade egg nog.

Went to a BCBS release this morning. Knew they were also going to have some bourbon. I even went earlier than I had originally anticipated.  When I got there I was already #4 in line. I knew they only had 3 bottles of 4RSmBLE so was trying to figure out what my next pick would be...probably either a Little Book or a Blanton's. They also had some other stuff like 4RPS, Bookers, Woodford Batch Proof, etc. While waiting for the store to open we all chatted and shared pours of different BCBS vintages and variants we had brought. All of us down to #6 in line knew each other except for the guy at #3. The first 2 in line picked the 4R 135th as expected. When #3 got to the register he turned to me and asked what I was really hoping for. I told him the 135th but that fair was fair and he was there before me. He said that while he'd like the 4R he had really come hoping for a Blanton's and let me have the 4R! It was a Christmas miracle. And...his name was NICK!! 🎅

20231124_071124.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 17

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Went to a BCBS release this morning. Knew they were also going to have some bourbon. I even went earlier than I had originally anticipated.  When I got there I was already #4 in line. I knew they only had 3 bottles of 4RSmBLE so was trying to figure out what my next pick would be...probably either a Little Book or a Blanton's. They also had some other stuff like 4RPS, Bookers, Woodford Batch Proof, etc. While waiting for the store to open we all chatted and shared pours of different BCBS vintages and variants we had brought. All of us down to #6 in line knew each other except for the guy at #3. The first 2 in line picked the 4R 135th as expected. When #3 got to the register he turned to me and asked what I was really hoping for. I told him the 135th but that fair was fair and he was there before me. He said that while he'd like the 4R he had really come hoping for a Blanton's and let me have the 4R! It was a Christmas miracle. And...his name was NICK!! 🎅

20231124_071124.jpg

What a great story!  Really cool guy and you were lucky!  Since his name was Nick, I think this would make a great Hallmark Christmas movie.  The storyline would be one of the best ever and unpredictable.

I am not a Bourbon Stout guy although I might have to pick one up.  I saw them everywhere today.  Can you tell me what is the difference between the ones in the tubes and the bottles in the back?  The bottles in the back are what I was seeing everywhere today.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Great score, congrats!

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am not a Bourbon Stout guy although I might have to pick one up.  I saw them everywhere today.  Can you tell me what is the difference between the ones in the tubes and the bottles in the back?  The bottles in the back are what I was seeing everywhere today.

Goose Island releases their "base" barrel aged stout and several different "variants" every year. There are usually 2 or 3 lower level (ie lower priced) variants. The variants will have different recipe/adjuncts or unique wood or aging methods. The different versions have different color labels. The bottles without boxes or tubes are the base and those variants. This year the two lower variants were Bananas Foster and Backyard. BF had, well...banana in it. BY was a berry blend that was tart and fruity. The top two variants usually come in fancy packaging of some kind..a box or a tube.  This year's were a two year reserve aged in ER10 barrels and a two year aged for one year in Angel's Envy barrels and another year in Port wine barrels. There is also a "Proprietors" release that is only available in Chicago. Prop is always in a light blue box and has a blue label.

• I like it 2

Today was the state November allocation drop. I've been trying to find another bottle of the ECBP 923 in the wild with no luck. Well, it  was on the list today. It's a limit of two total bottles but they can't be the same.

My wife and daughter came along and we were able to score a bottle each. I also made a trade with the guy in line behind me. He wanted two Blanton's  so he offered to trade me his 923 for my Blanton's straight up!

I'm a happy boy and my wife still got to bring home her Blanton's.20231125_104941.thumb.jpg.1484e335b9f04155152036dbffb88bd9.jpg

• I like it 9

4 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Today was the state November allocation drop. I've been trying to find another bottle of the ECBP 923 in the wild with no luck. Well, it  was on the list today. It's a limit of two total bottles but they can't be the same.

My wife and daughter came along and we were able to score a bottle each. I also made a trade with the guy in line behind me. He wanted two Blanton's  so he offered to trade me his 923 for my Blanton's straight up!

I'm a happy boy and my wife still got to bring home her Blanton's.20231125_104941.thumb.jpg.1484e335b9f04155152036dbffb88bd9.jpg

Why else would you get married and have kids!!!

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Goose Island releases their "base" barrel aged stout and several different "variants" every year. There are usually 2 or 3 lower level (ie lower priced) variants. The variants will have different recipe/adjuncts or unique wood or aging methods. The different versions have different color labels. The bottles without boxes or tubes are the base and those variants. This year the two lower variants were Bananas Foster and Backyard. BF had, well...banana in it. BY was a berry blend that was tart and fruity. The top two variants usually come in fancy packaging of some kind..a box or a tube.  This year's were a two year reserve aged in ER10 barrels and a two year aged for one year in Angel's Envy barrels and another year in Port wine barrels. There is also a "Proprietors" release that is only available in Chicago. Prop is always in a light blue box and has a blue label.

Thank you!   So, it looks like you made a great score on both fronts!

I did post pics of my purchases from the last two or three weeks or so, but here’s a composite pic. I got tired of the mess in my bourbon/computer room. I moved some stuff to the basement, threw a few things away, consolidated a few things, rearranged a few things, cleaned up, straightened up and took an inventory. Wheeeeew. 🥵 

IMG_4948.thumb.jpeg.7f2a3ffe8473c34e6fda9bee66be2246.jpeg

• I like it 10

On 11/24/2023 at 2:19 PM, Clueby said:

He said that while he'd like the 4R he had really come hoping for a Blanton's and let me have the 4R! It was a Christmas miracle. And...his name was NICK!! 🎅

That guy's a real Saint!  Sorry, I couldn't resist...

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, fosmith said:

That guy's a real Saint!  Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Ho! Oh! No! 🤦🏻‍♂️

• I like it 1

I may be late to the party but I noticed today that Four Roses changed the label on FRSiB.   They had several bottles of the old label and a single bottle of the new label.  Being an impressionable young man, I bought the bottle with the new label.  This was at a grocery store.  While I was checking out, another customer came up and asked if it was a FRSiB.  I told him "Why, yes it is."  He looked excited until I told him it is the standard version and they must have changed the label.  To be honest, my first impression was similar to his when I saw the new label.

The back label has changed as well and includes tasting notes.

Web_FR-Single-Barrel.webp

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 8

I drew this in a lottery on Friday.  I also picked up a Gem of Kentucky on a request from me a few month’s ago.  The reviews have been varied but being a single barrel, I guess that is to be expected.  We’ll see how barrel #50 turns out.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

I drew this in a lottery on Friday.  I also picked up a Gem of Kentucky on a request from me a few month’s ago.  The reviews have been varied but being a single barrel, I guess that is to be expected.  We’ll see how barrel #50 turns out.

image0.jpeg

Its behind a snow fence.  How will you get to it?  😀

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Its behind a snow fence.  How will you get to it?  😀

I prefer to think of it as fishnet.  I have some experience with things in fishnet.😁

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I prefer to think of it as fishnet.  I have some experience with things in fishnet.😁

😀 Fishnet is a little hotter than snow fence.  Well done, maestro!

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, markandrex said:

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

😀 Fishnet is a little hotter than snow fence.  Well done, maestro!

I agree.  Fishnets > snow fence.

• I like it 3