What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

7 hours ago, Thomm said:

Would you mind posting a photo of the JDSBS gift pack. I might be interested in looking for that also.  

I would,  but Mrs. Skinsfan already wrapped it.  If he opens it, I'll snap a pic.  It's pretty cool...a black box where you can see part of the bottle and it's a snifter-sized glen cairn shaped glass, which I assume has the JD logo on it. I may go back and snag one for myself.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Except prices dont get reduced accordingly. There's always a rub....

Got that right!

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

Huh?  I don't understand your point.  Companies across any industry that sell packaged products are using shrinkflation as a means of deceiving their customers.  Liquor/spirits are no different.

Yup....like....coffee....bacon.....ice cream......

Which pre-existing bourbons have been reduced in size from 750ml to 700ml in the US market?

Edited by smokinjoe
Clarification

Getting back to the KC 18, we picked this one up in TN yesterday. I missed it the first time I walked by. It was sitting on the shelf with all the other KCs and for some reason I decided to go back and look at the ages of their KC 9 store picks and thought one looked different than the rest. There was only one and it wasn't priced. So I asked the clerk, and he said $199. The msrp in our state is $170, but it's yearly lottery only. So, I figured why not? It's a bit high but not outrageous. 

The JJB was also just sitting on the shelf in a random non-Bowman section. It was $72, not certain of the MSRP, but I haven't seen a single barrel in these parts in quite a long time. 

And of course, Mrs DNH saw the Gold behind the counter and had to check the letter as she's now trying to collect the gold stoppers. The clerk kindly obliged and we wound up  bringing it home. 

20231202_171039.thumb.jpg.890e1c01f347dfe7d88df2118d03ed9f.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 2

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Simply, it’s standardizing bottle size for global distribution (which saves costs long term).  A short term up hit for standard bottles? Sure.  But, how many bottles have been downsized from 750 to 700?  That washes out after the first run.  I just don’t see the problem for us consumers.  

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

But, wouldn’t that be applicable only to current bottles that have been downsized from 750 to 700?  Doesn’t really affect new releases that start out at 700 ml.

in addition, there’s the whole difference in retail pricing from individual regional markets, distributors, local stores, etc.  I believe it becomes a moot point.  For instance, in my area, MM101 sells at a price significantly above Cask Strength in most stores.  Point is, pricing at retail is relative.  A 7% volume difference is inconsequential in the scheme of things in the end.  

Shrinkflation doesn't wash out in the first run. Distillers will put less bourbon in each bottle, for the same price, in perpetuity.  Forevermore, we will pay the same for less. Knowing how bourbon pricing has been going in the past 5 years, there's no realistic chance distillers will lower the cost per bottle to compensate for the smaller size bottle.

Even if the shrinkage is 7%, that's hugely consequential in a zero-moat industry. Having an immediate 7% profit injected into the corporate balance sheet would be very impactful, especially to a public company's EPS and stock price. Add in the long-term cost savings of standardization, and profits increase more. 

Last, I have no idea how many existing bourbon products have been downsized to 700 ml, but my original comment said it was already happening as a general statement, which @Kepler clarified was mostly for new domestic products and some foreign producers, but my point was that I believe this transition will take place over 10 years, so whether its happened already is kind of irrelevant if we all pretty much agree its going to happen eventually. 

• I like it 1

If all standard bourbon bottle sizes go from 750 to 700, it’s just a reset on quantity of that bottle.  It washes through quickly, and I am sure other factors like supply, demand, comparative and relative pricing within bourbon itself and within the spirts industry in general, will have more impact into the future.  Right now, there is no shrinkflation in bourbon.  Introducing new lines in 700s that didn’t exist in 750s cannot be considered.  Perhaps, it’s a precursor to a future reality.  Who knows.  But, until that time, I simply don’t find the argument compelling.  But, I certainly understand the ill sentiments.  Skinsfan has had the best take, I think. “I understand it, but I don’t have to like it.”

Let’s dream big!  if the next glut comes as many predict, 700 ml bottles filled with $15 Weller Antique will be the Glory  Days!  😂

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Huh?  I don't understand your point.  Companies across any industry that sell packaged products are using shrinkflation as a means of deceiving their customers.  Liquor/spirits are no different.

Yes, shrinkflation has been the norm everywhere for about as long as I've been paying attention to the prices of anything packaged. It should not be a surprise to anyone that it could happen to spirits once there was an opening to do so.

My point is that inflation is happening one way or the other. The majority of our favorites have been going up in price on a regular cycle. We can be mad or feel deceived if they downsize the bottle and charge the same, or they can keep it the same size and simply charge more. Either way we are paying more. At the end of the day, as always, it comes down to whether we think the price for the product still contains value to us. If it does, we will buy. If it doesn't we will choose something else. 

• I like it 4

Let's pull this thread back OT...

This one was gifted to me today at our tailgate. 😁  You can't go wrong with any iteration of MM.

20231203_162118.jpg

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I would,  but Mrs. Skinsfan already wrapped it.  If he opens it, I'll snap a pic.  It's pretty cool...a black box where you can see part of the bottle and it's a snifter-sized glen cairn shaped glass, which I assume has the JD logo on it. I may go back and snag one for myself.

I think I found it. Gotta hit up a few stores and see where it's available.  Thanks for the idea!

Screenshot_20231203-163814.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

I think I found it. Gotta hit up a few stores and see where it's available.  Thanks for the idea!

Screenshot_20231203-163814.jpg

That is the one!

Mrs. DNH drug me out to a Weller FP drop.  It was a package deal and I think this may be the first time that I enjoy the packaged bottle as much or more than the drop.

20231202_171416.thumb.jpg.3ac6891087b037bfe9821a8905e304a2.jpg

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Mrs. DNH drug me out to a Weller FP drop.  It was a package deal and I think this may be the first time that I enjoy the packaged bottle as much or more than the drop.

20231202_171416.thumb.jpg.3ac6891087b037bfe9821a8905e304a2.jpg

"drug" you to the drop?

Right. 😉

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

"drug" you to the drop?

Right. 😉

Yeah. That’s what she said. 😂

• I like it 1

Stoked to get these.  Had a sample of the Clermont at Thanksgiving and had to go on the search... Tasty old Beam

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0228.jpg

• I like it 6

Got an old one in an auction that I seem to need a little help with as I cannot find any info on it. Does anyone know this Forester 1870 80 proof bottle and have more info?

Schermafbeelding 2023-12-05 154525.jpg

2 hours ago, Obree said:

Got an old one in an auction that I seem to need a little help with as I cannot find any info on it. Does anyone know this Forester 1870 80 proof bottle and have more info?

I believe that bottle style was around mid 1990s 

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I believe that bottle style was around mid 1990s 

Thanks! That is already more info than I could find so far!

17 minutes ago, Obree said:

Thanks! That is already more info than I could find so far!

Maybe an overseas/export version? The bottle says 70 cl.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Obree said:

I agree with Joe.  70cl bottle looks like something for export.  The 40% strength is also unfamiliar.  In the U.S., the basic Old Forester is 43% (86 proof).

• I like it 2

Saw that Green River Wheated made the cut in The 2023 Esquire Spirit Awards so I snagged a bottle this afternoon along with a handle of EW BiB (needed a good bulk bourbon to make my annual batches of Bourbon Cream and to fuel my new Old Fashioned habit). 

Had some good fortune Friday evening at Chicago's liquor giant -- was at one of their local locations and I ran into a buddy of mine who is a regional buyer for the chain. He was kvetching about the long line they'd had at opening earlier in the week when a BT allocation hit (ER, EHT SmB, Blanton's, etc.). He knows I don't play secondary pricing games or sell bottles, so at the end of our convo he offered me a bottle of W12, which was a nice get at retail price. (There's plenty on the shelf at some indie stores near me, and at $200+ they can stay on those shelves!)

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I agree with Joe.  70cl bottle looks like something for export.  The 40% strength is also unfamiliar.  In the U.S., the basic Old Forester is 43% (86 proof).

Found some more info you guys are correct. Export indeed, very early 90's. Named Forester instead of Old Forester.  Took the gamble as I got it quite cheap, together with another oldie,  Bourbon de Luxe. 

• I like it 5

MM Whisky Drop came today.  
i don’t know Joe, do you think your being two-timed?

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

MM Whisky Drop came today.  
i don’t know Joe, do you think your being two-timed?

🤔🤔🤔