What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

I did some traveling/hunting with a bourbon friend today.  We were hoping for more Fall colors but , not so much.

we drove to Land-between-the-lakes area to check with a guy over there who always had some nice bottles a MSRP (or at least reasonable prices).  Apparently something happened to him as the store is now vacant.  
Undeterred we cut down to Clarksville/Fort Campbell area then hit 40E back to Nashville.  We stopped at about 10 stores. He wasn’t interested in these as they were pricey.  I had a pour last year at my local bourbon & steak bar and promised myself that I would find some this year.

i ended up with these.  He had a truck full.

image0.jpeg

I got interested in 13th Colony after I saw some pictures, read some nice comments somewhere here on SB.com.

My online research hit sort of a dead end, when the closest place I could find offering their products for sale was Nashville, TN.

Put that on the things to pick up while traveling list.

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, PaulO said:

I got interested in 13th Colony after I saw some pictures, read some nice comments somewhere here on SB.com.

My online research hit sort of a dead end, when the closest place I could find offering their products for sale was Nashville, TN.

Put that on the things to pick up while traveling list.

Same thoughts, same conclusion!

• I like it 1

Picked up a HMcK 10 at a local retailer.  It wasn't on the shelf.  It was at a grocery store with a solid selection. I had to ask the department manager if he had any allocated bourbons in the back.  If he recognizes you, he will usually tell you if he does.   He told me he had two Heaven Hill bottles - a store pick ECBP 9 year 131 proof and HMcK 10.  But, only one per customer.  I opted for the HMck 10.

Maybe not a special bottle in many areas but in Indy, this bottle often ends up in lotteries.  The last HMcK 10 I bought was over 5 years ago and I bought that bottle in Texas.  

image000000.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 7

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Picked up a HMcK 10 at a local retailer.  It wasn't on the shelf.  It was at a grocery store with a solid selection. I had to ask the department manager if he had any allocated bourbons in the back.  If he recognizes you, he will usually tell you if he does.   He told me he had two Heaven Hill bottles - a store pick ECBP 9 year 131 proof and HMcK 10.  But, only one per customer.  I opted for the HMck 10.

Maybe not a special bottle in many areas but in Indy, this bottle often ends up in lotteries.  The last HMcK 10 I bought was over 5 years ago and I bought that bottle in Texas.  

image000000.jpg

It's been mostly the same way in St. Louis the last couple years. It recently started showing up a lot but at a price of ~$65. On last week's trip to California it was literally everywhere at $55. One Total Wine store had one bottle of it (which I bought) for $39.99. The worker told me he just got that price adjustment from corporate and that was it's new "normal" price. We shall see.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

It's been mostly the same way in St. Louis the last couple years. It recently started showing up a lot but at a price of ~$65. On last week's trip to California it was literally everywhere at $55. One Total Wine store had one bottle of it (which I bought) for $39.99. The worker told me he just got that price adjustment from corporate and that was it's new "normal" price. We shall see.

I paid $53.99.  I believe the last bottle I bought was $36.99.  I remember buying store picks all the time in the 10 years ago.  They were in the mid-$20s.

You had quite the fortunate bourbon journey traveling to California. 

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I paid $53.99.  I believe the last bottle I bought was $36.99.  I remember buying store picks all the time in the 10 years ago.  They were in the mid-$20s.

You had quite the fortunate bourbon journey traveling to California. 

I did indeed. Too bad I only do it every 5 or 6 years. Or maybe that's a good thing. 🤷‍♂️. My brother just bought a new (to him) house in Escondido so hoping to make a trip out after first of the year to see the renovations after they move in.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

I did indeed. Too bad I only do it every 5 or 6 years. Or maybe that's a good thing. 🤷‍♂️. My brother just bought a new (to him) house in Escondido so hoping to make a trip out after first of the year to see the renovations after they move in.

And to see if you can repeat your bourbon experience? 😉

• I like it 1

On 10/10/2023 at 4:55 PM, markandrex said:

I was out this morning getting gas for the car and mower on grabbed these. [Picture deleted by Harry]

I've used that same exact excuse multiple times.  Wife finally got wise - bought me a battery operated, self propelled mower f9r my birthday.  AH!  I NEED A WEED EATER!!B)

FWIW, I checked my trunk last night and found NO bourbon.  DANG!  Thought I'd left one in there.

EDIT - Oh yeah - passed on HMcK 10 at $60 - if  can't taste it first, I'm not buying at that price.   If I coukd taste it and I liked it, SHELF CLEAR!  Also passed on a basic BT 750 at $45.  COME ON!  Popped for 4R SiB Select at $55 instead.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 7

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I've used that same exact excuse multiple times.  Wife finally got wise - bought me a battery operated, self propelled mower f9r my birthday.  AH!  I NEED A WEED EATER!!B)

FWIW, I checked my trunk last night and found NO bourbon.  DANG!  Thought I'd left one in there.

EDIT - Oh yeah - passed on HMcK 10 at $60 - if  can't taste it first, I'm not buying at that price.   If I coukd taste it and I liked it, SHELF CLEAR!  Also passed on a basic BT 750 at $45.  COME ON!  Popped for 4R SiB Select at $55 instead.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!! 4R SiB Select @ $55!!!!!!!!!!! Shelf clear time if me. 

• I like it 1

No my purchase but my bourbon buddy was heading home today and to round out his supply we went to two local LS for store picks.  He bought a case of CNB RRSB and a case of CNB WTKS.  He was quite pleased with both and the rest of his KY/TN haul.

I’d say his bar is well stocked for quite awhile.

• I like it 2

I bought a standard Frey Ranch recently;  first time this brand is available in Texas.  I'm looking forward to opening it.  I had a store pick sample from a friendly fellow SBer and it was delicious.  I don't expect the standard bourbon will be as good as that store pick, but I bet it's still tasty.

• I like it 2

Cheap Bastard grabbed another Alberta Premium Cask Strength for $29.99 and several more KC9s at $19.96.  I was told the stock is running low on the Alberta which is a stellar whiskey.  Time to stock up before the price goes back up.

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Cheap Bastard grabbed another Alberta Premium Cask Strength for $29.99 and several more KC9s at $19.96.  I was told the stock is running low on the Alberta which is a stellar whiskey.  Time to stock up before the price goes back up.

Haven't seen KC9 750s @ $20-25 for a couple years.  Your purchase was for 375s, right? RIGHT!!?B)  That said, my bunkered KC9 750s still average around $26 even including the last few purchases.   Going to have to watch for the AP - been avoiding the Albertas for awhile - too many clunkers.

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

So many things available in Vegas.   Prices all over the board but I’m bringing this home…

IMG_9816.jpeg

Ridiculous bottle, good bourbon

• I like it 1

I've been doing more blending than buying lately,  but just scored a great one - Remus Repeal Reserve (Series VII).     I've had my share of these,  and this may be the best one yet.    Classic bourbon flavors proofed to not need a single drop;  I tried it side by side with the last of my Russell''s Reserve 13,  and it was the superior pour.  

20231013_201608.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 5

23 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Haven't seen KC9 750s @ $20-25 for a couple years.  Your purchase was for 375s, right? RIGHT!!?B)  That said, my bunkered KC9 750s still average around $26 even including the last few purchases.   Going to have to watch for the AP - been avoiding the Albertas for awhile - too many clunkers.

750 ml.  I hadn't seen it for less than $20 in over 10 years.  This is the Alberta Premium Limited Edition.  Story is that this retailer got a great deal on a significant volume of both.  KC9 is generally around $30-35 here, although you can occasionally find it on sale in the upper $20s.  The AP CS is normally $70.  However, the local Meijer always has it on sale for $62.99.  

• I like it 2

On 10/13/2023 at 7:17 PM, JT3NSB said:

So many things available in Vegas.   Prices all over the board but I’m bringing this home…

IMG_9816.jpeg

I will be there in mid-November. Any suggestions?

I have a good bit of ECBP & Larceny waiting for me. Given the things I've read here about the Frey Ranch, I'm interested. I need to double check KL for their bottles, I know they get some Frey Ranch picks.

• I like it 1

86E00ED2-B746-4769-BB98-04BDE8F78362.thumb.jpeg.44e511c257ee7853534bccf843e549f8.jpeg

i guess the old gas station LS found an old one in storage and put in on the shelf. Lucky me. ($70 plus tax)

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 7

Picked it up because I haven’t seen it often around here.  We’ll see. 

IMG_0636.jpeg

Edited by Bret Bret
  • I like it 3

On 10/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Jazzhead said:

I've been doing more blending than buying lately,  but just scored a great one - Remus Repeal Reserve (Series VII).     I've had my share of these,  and this may be the best one yet.    Classic bourbon flavors proofed to not need a single drop;  I tried it side by side with the last of my Russell''s Reserve 13,  and it was the superior pour.  

Well, now you've just pissed me off.  After watching the whiskeytubes, it seemed like everyone was unhappy with VII so I wasn't fussed about hunting for it but now you are making me think I should!

48 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Well, now you've just pissed me off.  After watching the whiskeytubes, it seemed like everyone was unhappy with VII so I wasn't fussed about hunting for it but now you are making me think I should!

Just opened my 7… after multiple pours…to my palate its good not great. Will get another as a backup but i wont buy multiples like i did 5. 7 is smooth but not exciting. 

• I like it 3

On 10/15/2023 at 10:45 PM, FasterHorses said:

Just opened my 7… after multiple pours…to my palate its good not great. Will get another as a backup but i wont buy multiples like i did 5. 7 is smooth but not exciting. 

I have to agree about 7 - solid, but not sure the quality/value equation lines up for me at $109

• I like it 2

On 10/15/2023 at 3:37 PM, Bret Bret said:

Picked it up because I haven’t seen it often around here.  We’ll see. 

IMG_0636.jpeg

In Indianapolis, I have been to two stores lately that had 5-10 cases of this HH BiB.  They both said it is not being "allocated" any longer.  I loved the 6 year old at $15, but not sure the 7 year old is worth the $50.  Hopefully the price falls with the availability!

• I like it 1