What bourbon did you purchase Fall ‘23?

CUfan99

On 10/15/2023 at 10:51 AM, FasterHorses said:

86E00ED2-B746-4769-BB98-04BDE8F78362.thumb.jpeg.44e511c257ee7853534bccf843e549f8.jpeg

i guess the old gas station LS found an old one in storage and put in on the shelf. Lucky me. ($70 plus tax)

You scallywag!

• I like it 1

Picked up a family sized EW 1783 and a WT Kentucky Spirit.  I have always passed on the KS and usually go for Rare Breed.  I hope this one is a good barrel.

• I like it 1

Went to another fabulous West Coast Whiskey Club tasting dinner on Tuesday (Hirsch and Old Potrero) and stopped by a nearby liquor store after.  This place somehow frequently has pretty special bottles behind the counter at reasonable prices.  They had a lonely bottle of Stagg 22A in a bundle with their store pick of Coppercraft plus a cheap tequila and some Fireball.  Chatted with the owner about the bundle and he said he would substitute for those last two so I got a Benchmark Full Proof instead.  And that's how I scored my first ever bottle of Stagg. 

• I like it 10

There was a liquor store across the street from the restaurant.  After dinner my wife asked if I had ever been in it, I said no.

So, we ventured in, nice basic shop with a clerk that knew very little about bourbon.  They did have these.  13th Colony had discontinued the Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey in 2021.  I had grabbed a bottle a few years ago when we were in Augustus.  I had asked my son in Atlanta to check for a replacement last Christmastime when he was coming up.  That is when I found out about its demise.  It is very vanilla, corn bread and caramel on the palate.  Nothing like their DO but a very nice pour.  

image1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Found a back up bottle for my open ECBP A120. Right after opening the A120 it is quite hot, it needs some time to open up. But when it does, it is really nice, Anwalt and myself enjoyed a good pour together recently. So when I had the chance to get one more in an auction, I did!

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, IamMatt said:

They had a lonely bottle of Stagg 22A in a bundle with their store pick of Coppercraft plus a cheap tequila and some Fireball.  Chatted with the owner about the bundle and he said he would substitute for those last two so I got a Benchmark Full Proof instead.  And that's how I scored my first ever bottle of Stagg. 

Nice score, Matt.  My son just picked up a bottle of 22A for me but I haven't gotten it from him yet.  He's made friends with the liquor buyer of a supermarket in his area and they had gotten in a couple of cases of Stagg so he was able to get us each a bottle.  Those years of parenting are finally paying off lol.  If you open your 22A, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. 

Cheers!

Fred

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Obree said:

Found a back up bottle for my open ECBP A120. Right after opening the A120 it is quite hot, it needs some time to open up. But when it does, it is really nice, Anwalt and myself enjoyed a good pour together recently. So when I had the chance to get one more in an auction, I did!

It was really good. And the 1/2 hour sitting helped it a lot. 

I. Want.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Went to another fabulous West Coast Whiskey Club tasting dinner on Tuesday (Hirsch and Old Potrero) and stopped by a nearby liquor store after.  This place somehow frequently has pretty special bottles behind the counter at reasonable prices.  They had a lonely bottle of Stagg 22A in a bundle with their store pick of Coppercraft plus a cheap tequila and some Fireball.  Chatted with the owner about the bundle and he said he would substitute for those last two so I got a Benchmark Full Proof instead.  And that's how I scored my first ever bottle of Stagg. 

Wait, wait...did you try the cheap tequila and Fireball before making your decision?  😀

20 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wait, wait...did you try the cheap tequila and Fireball before making your decision?  😀

No, I didn't, but I have a Cheap Bastard story for you.  I stopped by Total Wine on Monday, which happened to be my birthday.  I was pleased to find Heaven Hill BIB for $40, and I checked their app to see if there were any specials.  Lo and behold, there was a notification that, on my birthday, I could buy any bottle of Winery Direct wine under $15 for a penny!  So I did.  Got a bottle of a Cab my brother had recommended to me in the past.  Plus I somehow had $5 in some sort of bonus savings thing, so for $35.01 I got a HH BIB and a $15 bottle of wine.  Do I get a Cheap Bastards membership card?

• I like it 8

8 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

No, I didn't, but I have a Cheap Bastard story for you.  I stopped by Total Wine on Monday, which happened to be my birthday.  I was pleased to find Heaven Hill BIB for $40, and I checked their app to see if there were any specials.  Lo and behold, there was a notification that, on my birthday, I could buy any bottle of Winery Direct wine under $15 for a penny!  So I did.  Got a bottle of a Cab my brother had recommended to me in the past.  Plus I somehow had $5 in some sort of bonus savings thing, so for $35.01 I got a HH BIB and a $15 bottle of wine.  Do I get a Cheap Bastards membership card?

Matt, you are in the Cheap Bastard Hall of Fame!  First, a belated Happy Birthday.  Second, you scored well on two fronts!  Party on Garth!  Party on Wayne!

download.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

Just received a gift of a  750 Blanton's I believe is a single barrel  from a client who picked it up in Tokyo. 93 proof, dump date is 2/ 93. Different looking horse stopper( then I am use to seeing) no alphabet stamp . Very little evaporation, bottle is full. Seal looks good.  It is before my time as a bourbon drinker. 1993 I was a cheap vodka and anything drinker!!!!  Thoughts on quality of old Blanton's?  Cork issues?  Would like to make this my retirement  bottle instead of my  SFTB. What should I expect??

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

Just received a gift of a  750 Blanton's I believe is a single barrel  from a client who picked it up in Tokyo. 93 proof, dump date is 2/ 93. Different looking horse stopper( then I am use to seeing) no alphabet stamp . Very little evaporation, bottle is full. Seal looks good.  It is before my time as a bourbon drinker. 1993 I was a cheap vodka and anything drinker!!!!  Thoughts on quality of old Blanton's?  Cork issues?  Would like to make this my retirement  bottle instead of my  SFTB. What should I expect??

This sounds like a Mission for the SB.com Inspection Team (East Coast).  Please forward your critical information (Name, Rank, Address and relevant contact info) to our New England Strike Force Office to schedule an in-person rescue foray to your location to the South.   🤠

• I like it 3

43 minutes ago, Grady330 said:

Does it say Blanton or Blanton's on the bottle?

• I like it 1

I was doing some driving around today.  I managed to pick up two old favorites, absent from my liquor cabinet too long - VOB 100, and JW Dant.  I got several, left the last VOB 100 on the shelf for good karma.  The Dant are 1 liter bottles, a bonus for me.  👍

• I like it 4

On 10/17/2023 at 9:05 AM, VWIndy said:

In Indianapolis, I have been to two stores lately that had 5-10 cases of this HH BiB.  They both said it is not being "allocated" any longer.  I loved the 6 year old at $15, but not sure the 7 year old is worth the $50.  Hopefully the price falls with the availability!

On the rare occasion the HH BiB 7 pops up here in WashDC, the retailer that usually has it will sell it for about $99.  One other retailer did have some a few months ago and offered it at about $80.  The HH products with "HH" on the label don't get regular distribution here.  Neither do Saz's VOB 100 although the 86 does appear in handles from time to time.  My guess is that the retailer that usually has the HH BiB 7 special orders it as the store is near some really large hotels that cater to out of towners and conventions so it can get the markup.  ASIDE - its scotch selection is similarly large and only slightly above MSRP.

• I like it 2

On 10/9/2023 at 10:28 AM, mwmac said:

My good luck continued to hold as I was able to get an OWA 107 single barrel pick on Saturday!

PXL_20231006_200847564.MP (3).jpg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

This sounds like a Mission for the SB.com Inspection Team (East Coast).  Please forward your critical information (Name, Rank, Address and relevant contact info) to our New England Strike Force Office to schedule an in-person rescue foray to your location to the South.   🤠

@Grady330 If you hear a knock on the door, don't answer it.  If the person at the door at first claims to be from the SB.Com Inspection Team, it is probably a Land Shark.  The most dangerous, treacherous Whiskey Thief known to man.  Some say it is a mythical creature, but we have seen one in our midst.  If the person says his name is Frank, invite him in and pop that puppy open.  

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, mwmac said:

PXL_20231006_200847564.MP (3).jpg

Wow, the ECBP at 13 yr, 7 mo and 133 proof is a bitch slap.  I am a bitch.  I want one.  I plan to seek it out tomorrow. 

• I like it 4

Picked up a bottle of Rare Breed . . . for friend.   ...To gift to another friend.

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Picked up a bottle of Rare Breed . . . for friend.   ...To gift to another friend.

What a great strategy! Honey, I am picking up a bottle of xxx bourbon for a friend so they can gift it to a another friend.  So, who is going to end up with the bottle?  Me, but that is beside the point.  😀😀😀

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

What a great strategy! Honey, I am picking up a bottle of xxx bourbon for a friend so they can gift it to a another friend.  So, who is going to end up with the bottle?  Me, but that is beside the point.  😀😀😀

HA!   I knew somebody would grab that one.   Didn't take very long either.    But, in reality, I actually did get the assignment from a non-drinking friend to pick up a nice pour for a mutual friend that did him a solid.   

Long story, with a tough beginning; but, a pretty nice end.   So the bottle is a 'Thank You' for friend B going the extra mile for friend A.

• I like it 2