What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Winter 2023?

Skinsfan1311

Sipping on some standard MM while trying to decide what’s for dinner.

• I like it 4

This whiskey has been such a weird journey.  Well, because it’s such a weird whiskey.  While I didn’t care for it early on, I developed an appreciation for it over time, and in the end enjoyed it because…it was weird…but it scratched a weird itch that enjoyed the scratch.  It’s gone now, but it will be fondly remembered…for some weird reason.  And if I stumble across another one…my inner weirdo wool venture forward, and I’ll probably pick it up.  🤪

95A030AA-BA05-4B92-87BD-B88025BFC305.jpeg

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This whiskey has been such a weird journey.  Well, because it’s such a weird whiskey.  While I didn’t care for it early on, I developed an appreciation for it over time, and in the end enjoyed it because…it was weird…but it scratched a weird itch that enjoyed the scratch.  It’s gone now, but it will be fondly remembered…for some weird reason.  And if I stumble across another one…my inner weirdo wool venture forward, and I’ll probably pick it up.  🤪

95A030AA-BA05-4B92-87BD-B88025BFC305.jpeg

I'd like to be a fly on the wall, to see how much those blenders at Barrell  were drinking when they brainstormed this one...."so....hear me out....we take the whiskey...and finish it in pear, brandy, rum & Sicilian Amaro casks"    It's like they had a little spinner with cask choices.  That, or a dart board! 🤣

• I like it 1

This is a belated, and thoughtful,  Christmas gift from my sister-in-law...

20240126_180714.jpg

• I like it 3

Sipping on some Bookers while some potatoes are roasting and the steaks are waiting for the grill.

• I like it 1

I gave in after a long, wet, cold week working outdoors and bought two bundles of that emasculating gas station firewood, because all of mine is under slush piles of varying thicknesses.  A decent blaze was obtained, and Four Roses Single Barrel is busy warming me from the inside out. 

• I like it 4

Back with the herd tonight.

ezgif-1-6fbe2e30e4.gif.4dbc6b43806db539ed79bde8aec64e7b.gif

• I like it 1

Has anyone had the OF 1924? My LS got a bottle in yesterday. He LMK, he knows I am a big OF fan. 

7 hours ago, Thomm said:

I gave in after a long, wet, cold week working outdoors and bought two bundles of that emasculating gas station firewood, because all of mine is under slush piles of varying thicknesses.  A decent blaze was obtained, and Four Roses Single Barrel is busy warming me from the inside out. 

That is particularily embarassing for someone from Wisconsin to use gas station wood for a fire. Glad to hear you were able to enjoy some 4 Roses and get warm.  A man has to make concessions once in a while:}

• I like it 1

Spent a good chunk of yesterday celebrating with a friend. Each drink was very good to excellent.

The GTS is just wow.

The 4R 666 was a surprise, going to see if I can find another. High proof for 4R, which I normally do not like. But this one...sweet, intense, with even their "low rye" still very present at 20%. Kroger SP.

Best MM ever, much more complexity & oak than the norm. The 4R23LE - loved it, tasted as if it had more rye than it did, shall need to compare with 22.

The OO 10y Rye is just excellent. Will need to compare to KC ryes. 

The Michters Toasted Barrel Rye (too large of a file to upload) was unique. I normally dislike toasted barrels. But a toast without a char. Well, I evidently like that! That they so consistently manage to fit so much flavor into so little proof...

Joe3.jpg

Joe1.jpg

• I like it 11

6 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Spent a good chunk of yesterday celebrating with a friend. Each drink was very good to excellent.

The GTS is just wow.

The 4R 666 was a surprise, going to see if I can find another. High proof for 4R, which I normally do not like. But this one...sweet, intense, with even their "low rye" still very present at 20%. Kroger SP.

Best MM ever, much more complexity & oak than the norm. The 4R23LE - loved it, tasted as if it had more rye than it did, shall need to compare with 22.

The OO 10y Rye is just excellent. Will need to compare to KC ryes. 

The Michters Toasted Barrel Rye (too large of a file to upload) was unique. I normally dislike toasted barrels. But a toast without a char. Well, I evidently like that! That they so consistently manage to fit so much flavor into so little proof...

Joe1.jpg

Great lineup.  I have been curious about the MM Cellar Aged ever since I first heard about it.

• I like it 1

Evidently I am the only one drinking bourbon on Saturday night?  Dry January is strong, eh.

My first pour tonight is MM101.  Always hits the spot. 

• I like it 7

I will join you with some MMCS.  I hate to see a friend drink alone.  Cheers!

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I will join you with some MMCS.  I hate to see a friend drink alone.  Cheers!

Thanks buddy.  I was starting to feel lonely 😃

For my 2nd pour I'm keeping the MM theme going with MMPS from Lincoln Rd Package store.  Cheers

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Evidently I am the only one drinking bourbon on Saturday night?  Dry January is strong, eh.

My first pour tonight is MM101.  Always hits the spot. 

You're not alone.

At a bar watching a friends band.

Whiskey selection is weak, but they do have Maker's and they're very generous pours😀

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You're not alone.

At a bar watching a friends band.

Whiskey selection is weak, but they do have Maker's and they're very generous pours😀

It's a Maker's kind of night then.  Enjoy the music! 🎶

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It's a Maker's kind of night then.  Enjoy the music! 🎶

Thanks!

We are! 🤘🤘

That's a pretty generous pour, right?

20240127_222223.jpg

20240127_222110.jpg

• I like it 5

2 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!

We are! 🤘🤘

That's a pretty generous pour, right?

Hell yeah, a nice pour! 

There is no substitute to live music! 🤘

p.s. if they happen to have a record, post over in the "What's got your ear" forum! 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Hell yeah, a nice pour! 

There is no substitute to live music! 🤘

p.s. if they happen to have a record, post over in the "What's got your ear" forum! 

Amen and will do!

Hectic evening that including picking someone up at the airport that had motion sickness. And Postmates totally screwing up dinner delivery. Nice to get off my feet with a solid pour. 

4CE451A1-EE98-4E89-A3BE-F47508BDEB3A.jpeg

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

Great lineup.  I have been curious about the MM Cellar Aged ever since I first heard about it.

best MM i've had...     

• I like it 2

I'm having some JW Dant, and I don't need to do anything tomorrow - except watch football.

• I like it 3

Wheater night tonight.  I started with MM101 and then had a couple pours of MMPS, one from Lincoln Road and one from a Texas chain store called Goody Goody. 

This Goody Goody store pick has a very unique powdered chocolate note (reminiscent of a Nestle or Hershey's powdered cocoa mix) that I really really enjoy.  If you like cocoa flavor as much as I do and you happen to come across a MMPS with the stave combination of four "Baked American Pure 2" and six "Maker's 46" staves, you might want to go ahead and pick that up.  Pro tip 😉

YMMV

• I like it 3

Had cocktails (a rarity for me; had rye-based OF & Manhattan) at a friend's new speakeasy last night. It even includes a "hidden behind a bookcase cigar room". Brought him a JDSBBP Rye and got the usual reaction. "WTF is this? It's really good! Wait, WHAT was the proof? More please!".

• I like it 5

Last night's Heaven Hill line up.  The JTS Brown is not available in CA and the HH 6yr never was so I traded for them to see what the fuss was about.  I have to say, there's not a lot of difference between the three, which is not that surprising I suppose.  To my palate, HH6 > EW BiB > JTS Brown but all three are solid pours.  I wish I could have put JW Dant in the lineup but I finished off my lone bottle a while ago and haven't been willing to pay the price to import another one into CA.  Cheers! 

Heaven Hill lineup.jpg

• I like it 9