Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

The original "Cape Fear" is a favorite of mine, as is another Robert Mitchum masterpiece, "Night of the Hunter". I thought this was an interesting story:

Peck acquired the rights to Cape Fear, originally attached to the project as a producer, not an actor. However, he was sought for the role of antagonist Max Cady by the studios. Peck was so against playing a villain at the time that he steadfastly refused the part. He felt audiences would not accept him playing a ruthless character so he instead sought the role of the hero.

When approached to play the villain, Mitchum also turned down the role. But convinced that Mitchum would make the perfect Cady, director Thompson and producer Peck sent him a bottle of bourbon. According to a Mitchum biography authored by Lee Server, a couple of days later, Mitchum sent a telegraph to Thompson, which read: "I've had your bourbon. I'm drunk. I'll do it." (quoted from Wikipedia.)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is mentioned anywhere, but I believe that the dude in RoboCop that blows up the gas station, then gets melted by toxic waste and hit by Red Forman in a 6000 SUX and ended up playing a doctor later on ER was drinking a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label while watching the "I'd buy that for a Dollar" show, and before uttering the famous line, "I....LIKE IT!"

:)

Not 100%, but that's what it looked like. Either that or something else that looks similar. Don't think it was Jack, but may be wrong.

"the dude in RoboCop that blows up the gas station, then gets melted by toxic waste and hit by Red Forman in a 6000 SUX and ended up playing a doctor later on ER"

That's a fantastic description.

I know this isn't a movie, but I saw the play "Million Dollar Quartet" tonight in NYC, and at one point Sam Phillips says "it's time to visit my favorite relative - Old Grand Dad!" Then he clearly has a 375ml bottle of OGD that he pours out of.

This was a very fun play, by the way, with a lot of great music, and centers around Sam Phillips and one day when he had Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins all in studio (after he had sold Elvis' contract to RCA and right before Perkins and Cash left Phillip's label for Columbia Records).

Watching Season 3, Episode 3 of Sons of Anarchy. At the 10min mark, there is a scene in a bar that is stocked with Makers Mark, Basil Hayden, Elijah Craig 12yo, Ri1, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare , Evan Williams SB (looks like 2000 vintage), Sazerac 18yo and some more bottles that look like the BTAC...

In Russ Meyer's Up! bottles of Early Times and some variation of Ancient Age can be seen behind the bar at Alice's Cafe II.

So I know it's a chick-flick, but in "Someone Like You" Hugh Jackman pours some bourbon into a glass - no label can be seen, but it's hard to miss the distinctive shape of the Blanton's bottle.

They will occasionally toss in a Bourbon reference on NCIS and sometimes show a bottle. So far I have identified Rare Breed, Blanton's and Ten High.

They will occasionally toss in a Bourbon reference on NCIS and sometimes show a bottle. So far I have identified Rare Breed, Blanton's and Ten High.

Saw the Blantons last night .... also had a bottle of MM sans the red wax in a previous episode.

Pappy Van Winkle 15yo single barrel on Justified tonight. Dixie Mafia boss in Frankfort. Good show.

Bottle of Pappy van winkle made its way into last night's episode of Justified. I've seen a lot this season: only 4 episodes and already there's been Blanton's, Wild turkey, and pappy.

However, I believe they refer to it as "piper" or "papper" van winkle. The guy who owns it says its "frankfort's own" (show is set in KY). And then goes on to say that he has a special single barrel of it (hes some kind of rich businessman)

Now I like Justified even more.

Curious thing about the star, has anyone noticed the dude has a really weird shoulder width to waist ratio? I mean, he has shoulders that look 4 feet wide and an itty-bitty waist. Weird.

Ahh, Timothy Olyphant, just googled the dude. He was a competitive swimmer in high school and college, that explains it. Swimmers often have oddly shaped bodies.

Anyway...I just like that show. Always thought he would be a good Rick Grimes, until they cast that dude that's in The Walking Dead.

Now I like Justified even more.

Curious thing about the star, has anyone noticed the dude has a really weird shoulder width to waist ratio? I mean, he has shoulders that look 4 feet wide and an itty-bitty waist. Weird.

Ahh, Timothy Olyphant, just googled the dude. He was a competitive swimmer in high school and college, that explains it. Swimmers often have oddly shaped bodies.

Anyway...I just like that show. Always thought he would be a good Rick Grimes, until they cast that dude that's in The Walking Dead.

Is it me, or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of Blanton's sighting in the movies? I wonder if it's an intentional marketing effort of some sort by BT/Age Int'l? Or, it could just be a really cool bottle.

On a rerun of a Star Trek: Enterprise, an officer ordered "bourbon, straight up" at the bar in San Fran. The waitress brought it in a glass so no bottle seen. He downed it like a shot.

Is it me, or does there seem to be an inordinate amount of Blanton's sighting in the movies? I wonder if it's an intentional marketing effort of some sort by BT/Age Int'l? Or, it could just be a really cool bottle.

I see a lot of people mention it but I'm not sure I've ever spotted Blanton's in a movie. Then again a lot of the movies I watch are more akin to the bottle I most commonly see, Jim Beam White. :]

On a rerun of a Star Trek: Enterprise, an officer ordered "bourbon, straight up" at the bar in San Fran. The waitress brought it in a glass so no bottle seen. He downed it like a shot.

Yeah, you always see people in movies drinking some $3000 bottle of SM Scotch or good Bourbon like it is apple juice, which it probably is.

:)

Bogart, as Sam Spade . . . I've got a bottle of pretty good rye in my pocket.

Bogart, as Sam Spade . . . I've got a bottle of pretty good rye in my pocket.

Make that Phillip Marlowe in "The Big Sleep". :cool:

Now you've got me thinking it's time to see whether my last bottle of VWFRR is still any good. :)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Yes, spoken to Dorothy Malone as proprietress of the Acme Bookstore.

At least I got the Bogart part right.

In Drive Angry - Nicolas Cage is "engaged" with a harlot while simultaneously off-ing multiple bad guys takes time from the gun play to swig from bottle. I think it was Jack but I was too amazed at the acrobatics to tell for sure.

I was watching "The Edge" the other day with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin, who are lost in the woods in northern Canada. They find an old cabin, and it has a couple of bottles of Old Eagle which Alec Baldwin begins to drink immediately. I tried to Google this whiskey (not sure that it's bourbon), but couldn't find anything...is this just a made up brand for the movie?

post-6748-14489817189418_thumb.jpg