What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fanta Wild Cherry Slurpee, 40oz, $1.53 at 7-11. I wonder, though, if mixing a little Old Forester in would improve it. I feel 1792 wouldn't work, and I wouldn't risk my WR on the experiment. Anyone ever try it?

Started with ETL, then Pappy 20, and as hard as it is to follow Pappy 20, the Lot B is doing OK....

Being an SEC fan, broke out the Ezra B 15 one more time and hoisted a toast to the Gators.

Being an SEC fan, broke out the Ezra B 15 one more time and hoisted a toast to the Gators.

Well Done! WTKS here.

Elmer T. Lee which seems a little sweeter than I remember and Wild Turkey Rye.

Having my first ever pour of ORVW Old Time Rye.

Really liking it, too!

Ed

As a Gator alum, I was enjoying the experience with the BOTM, OGD BIB, with occasional visits to the 114. No Gator grand-dad, but my dad went as well.

Bob

Last two nights I've had a very tasty pour of the Wild Turkey Rare Breed. delicious with a slight spice burn. Just a hint of the oak and charcoal in there.

If you had asked me on

New Years Eve we had a party at my house and I "Busted out" the collection. we had stocked the party bar with

VWSR (750 ml)

Eagle rare 10 (2 @ 750 ml)

Eagle rare 17 (750 ml)

Elijah Craig 12(two handles)

Elijah Craig 18 (750 ml)

Makers (750 ml)

Also bunch of vodka and wine and bubbly and beer for the rest of the folks.

by the end of the night we had 1/2 the Makers and 1 full handle left of the EC12.

The EC18 is still 2/3 full it had the hardest time.

I enjoyed the ER17 the most that evening.

Working on my current bottle of OGD114, the first one was good, second better, now on my third, starting to have trouble typing but the OGD still tastes great!!

Tim

Started with ER17. Man I love that stuff...then on to Lot B....man I love that stuff. Hmm...I see a pattern here. :drinking:

Tonight ORVW 10/107. Not easy to find around here anymore. But man is it nice. I picked this on up at Bowling Green, a couple of months ago while in town....

First, a pour of EWSB '96, then a Fall '05 Stagg - nice pours for a cold night.

Two pours so far this evening. First some IW Harper 15 YO (this is eighty proof stuff from the old "Bourbon Heritage Collection") . Dunno know what all that aging did for this light bourbon, but it's balanced, smooth and tasty. I guess that's what it did! A neat thing is the bottle, which looks like a Weller Antique bottle except it's got all this gold "lint" all over it.

Next was a Bellows Club, also 80 proof and six years old. I paired this with the Harper because they first time I tried it, I was impressed with its balance. It remains a worthwhile pour, straightforward and causing no pain.

Neither of these sent steam out my ears, but each hit the spot.

AAA, and the first time having it. i enjoy the regular ancient age, but this stuff blows it out of the water! an exelent pour for sure.

AAA, and the first time having it. i enjoy the regular ancient age, but this stuff blows it out of the water! an exelent pour for sure.

Just curious, but is that the AAA 10 Star or the AAA 10 year old?

I like them both, but might have to say I prefer the 10 Star to the 10 year old AAA.

Ed

The sun is setting, the snow is falling and the wind is howling and my bunker bottle, A2222, of PVW23 was just delivered via UPS. Now, safely stored away in its black velvet blanket, I pulled the seal on its sister, bottle A1926 and poured a generous ration of this special nectar. The wonderful sweet aroma is wafting from my glass and filling the room as I set a fire and pull up my old chair. Life doesn't get much better. I toast to you SB and to all your wisdom. Scott

My Bourbon's made for drink'n

Just cracked open a 750ml bottle of Old Forester 86 I bought on sale last year for $7.99 plus tax. Nice! Reminds me of the 1792 in its acid feel in the mouth, but OF is a tad sweeter and lighter, and the afterburn is pronounced though not unpleasant, and certainly not painful like JB 4yr.

For the price, I paid, I guess it can't be beat.

WTRR 101 is the opener for tonight... even better, I found one on a store shelf today, and it followed me home.

I'm drinking manhattans made with EC18 tonight. I have a hard time with EC18 neat, but it makes a nice manhattan.

Starting with a wheater tonight, Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12-year-old (Heaven Hill). Still looking for the Sitzel products but no luck. The Heaven Hill pour is pretty good for a wheater (nice change pf pace).

Ok..first off..thanks to Chuck King...very beyond the required or expected help.:bowdown: I tried the Fleischmann's Rye...very nice pour over ice. I wish it wasn't in plastic...but I'm not gonna let that influence my taste buds. 80 proof is mighty fine for just having fun.

My question...is there a really bad rye?

Started the evening with the current BOTM, OGD BIB.....very enjoyable and easy to sip neat - my favorite way with bourbon. Followed up with another winner in all respects, WT RR - 101.

Ok..first off..thanks to Chuck King...very beyond the required or expected help.:bowdown: I tried the Fleischmann's Rye...very nice pour over ice. I wish it wasn't in plastic...but I'm not gonna let that influence my taste buds. 80 proof is mighty fine for just having fun.

My question...is there a really bad rye?

Well. I haven't managed to snag a Fleishman's or a Pikesville, but from what I've had JB Rye is about as bad as it gets, and even that seems to have its good points. It really shows how good a young rye can be, even though it is a bit raw, it does exhibit many traits of what to expect.

disclaimer:rye is my passion, and the whole reason I got into collecting bottles of American whiskies. At one point rye comprised more than 20% of my collection, only the thought of missing out on some of my favorite bourbons and the fact that there are so few ryes, brought that back into balance with what the current market share is.:cool:

I've not been drinking much lately. It was a week into the new year before I broke the ice, figuratively speaking, with PVW 15. I can't imagine why I dissed this one at first tasting. I still have a few sips of ORVW 15, which I should sip alongside the replacement one of these days.

Tonight I reached for one of my own dusty bottles, Blanton's. This bottle has somewhat of a bell-shaped cork such that it doesn't seal tightly when fully inserted. Perhaps some evaporation or even some oxidation accounts for the fact that it tastes better tonight than I remember. However, it remains on my DNR list.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!