What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night is was a generous pour of Saz 17. I'm not a big rye fan but this was delightful.

Just curious, but is that the AAA 10 Star or the AAA 10 year old?

I like them both, but might have to say I prefer the 10 Star to the 10 year old AAA.

Ed

it's the 10 yr, ed. i dont think the 10 star is available in wy. i'll keep an eye out, because i like the 10 yr. plenty. i think its up there with VROHH and OGD BIB for my "regular" pours.

it's the 10 yr, ed. i dont think the 10 star is available in wy. i'll keep an eye out, because i like the 10 yr. plenty. i think its up there with VROHH and OGD BIB for my "regular" pours.

I should warn you that many, perhaps most, prefer the AAA 10 year old. I find the 10 Star to have more cinnamon than the 10 year old. I really like that, so I prefer the 10 Star most of the time.

Ed

Aside from some wine I've been tasting, I've had sips of samples connected with my Jim Beam rebottling, out of the cask. Pretty enjoyable stuff. Then a friend invited me over and we had a bit of Elijah Craig 12 year old, preceded by sips of an Almacenista Oloroso from Emilion Lustau. (That's the stuff they make so they can have sherry casks to finish S***ch in.)

By the way, for us newbies, is there a list of authorized abbreviations for this forum, or can someone fill me in on what's been discussed here so far? It seems I'm missing out on much of what the regulars are talking about here.

By the way, for us newbies, is there a list of authorized abbreviations for this forum, or can someone fill me in on what's been discussed here so far? It seems I'm missing out on much of what the regulars are talking about here.

Jim's created a forum just for "Newbies" (New to Straighbourbon http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43) your list of things you need to know are bookmarked at the top of that forum :grin:

Bettye Jo

From reading these entries I would say that 07 is starting out quite well for all of you...at least on the Bourbon side of life.

We all get sent home early yesterday in anticipation of the snowstorm coming in, and good thing it was. I made my normal commute and then sat in front of the evening news with a nice pour of VW 12 watching people abandon their cars as the snow came down fast and heavy. I moved on to RHF as the traffic got worse; I thought a dignified pour to raise to those poor folks now walking home. 125 cars abandoned on the freeway and off ramp down below me.

I woke up to 8 inches of snow and am forced to take a sick day to stay home with my youngest.

I think I shall open up one of my WTRR 101's tonight.

Last night was WT RR 101. I've been avoiding it, but realized with two more bottles in the bunker, everything else that's in there, and my rate of consumption, there's a real possibility that people might end up drinking it to my memory. No point in that.

Point well made Bob!

:toast:

Evan Williams 1783

I never thought a $10 bourbon would be one of my favorites. :cool: It is certainly a pleasant surprise though.

Tomorrow is my son's Bar Mitzvah (13 years old, becoming a man, Jewish rite of passage); we're having a party with about 90 kids and 50 adults. We opted for the open bar, which I am supplementing with (for my buddies who know to ask for it) Pappy 20 year old. I'm hoping there's a little left from the 2 bottles I got.

Congratulations to the bar mitzvah boy.

That is great to have a fine drink like Pappy 20 for the whisky maven guests.

Times have changed, or maybe they haven't, really. In Montreal in the 1960's, when I attended such functions, and even at that tender age (ahem), I recall taking an interest in what was offered at the bar. I don't know why this was, but I always had this interest, since about bar mitzvah age. It may have been from watching the adults and the kinds of things they did at these parties. (Some people watched the dancing, what can I say).

Anyway, the quality of liquor was noticed at these functions, even in an age of when mixed drinks ruled the roost. (Trays of whisky sours in shallow stemmed glasses were swanned around the room by the servers, I can still recall the taste, lemony and sweet and something "different" in the back).

To have Crown Royal and good Scotch was to have the best in Montreal in 1965. Crown Royal was a local favorite if you could afford it. It was the primo product of Seagram, by then a local company helmed by the Bronfman family and we were PROUD of them. They stood by our community, in addition to serving well the larger one, and were our heros. To have Crown Royal at the bar was to have the best quality. I still like CR although I don't think it is as good as it was then.

As for Scotch, Chivas Regal was the in-drink. It is funny the things you remember, but even then (at least by 1970) I knew that Chivas was a Seagram property. This of course facilitated it being offered by the Seagram reps to the caterers that handled these functions although my young brain at the time (occupied with such matters as school, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, the Stones, girls (even)) probably could not divine the specific reason the two drinks seemed of a pair at the toniest events.

Then too my grandfather liked Black and White and I always had a soft spot for that too as a result, defending it in my mind at the time (no doubt) as the peoples' favourite.

Then there was the food, but that is a different story. I never had kids of my own and therefore haven't kept up on the styles of these parties. The last one I attended (I mean the party itself after, not the synagogue service) seemed very different than what I recalled from my time, with the DJ and other kinds of special entertainers. I liked it better in my day, but isn't it always like that? The important thing is that the bar mitzvah boy and his friends like the party he will have.

All the best again for a nice and freilach affair.

Gary

Still on the 2001 ER 17... this one is so good I'll probably finish it off before going to another pour.

First full week back since before the Holidays. And, am I feelin' it. Starting with Eagle Rare 101 and VOB BIB. I may hit quite a few before this evening is gone.

JOE

I didn't find out until 3 o'clock this afternoon that the office is closed for King Day - this is the first year ever! It sure is fun to just be handed a day off - and I'll take it as a sign of good times ahead for the Eagles as well!

Gotta pour something to properly mellow down, and I'm making do, quite well thank you, with some Old Pogue and I.W Harper 15 YO.

Solved my no wheaters problem by opening a bottle of PVW15. I had to do it after reading quite a bit about it and SW history the past few day’s, I really had no desire to drink anything else when it came time for a pour. It’s been a few months since I emptied my last bottle and much to my surprise this tasted exactly as I remembered it, excellent!

A pour of Rittenhouse BIB, then one of WTRR 101, now an EWSB '96 to finish up.

Right now I'm drinking a cup of Irish breakfast tea but earlier I had a snifter of Redbreast with a piece of raspberry cheesecake. Man what an awesome a combo.

One last night at Bourbon's Bistro before I leave town, Weller 12yo and Rittenhouse 21. The 21 was very good, but considering the price (both by the drink and retail), I was expecting something more, at half the price (say in the BTAC range) I'd have a couple bottles in the bunker, but at the price they want, I'm glad I passed on every bottle I saw. But it was nice to be able to try a drink of it. And at $15, I think it wasn't far off the mark, if you consider BB's pricing scale. Of course BB needs to update their list, as several bottles on the shelf weren't on it, whick means you have to scour the shelves looking to see what they actually have, then ask to find out what they charge...pain in the ass, keep the list up to date!

Another 3-stage evening is presently at hand:

First, 1 nice pour of OGD BIB

Second (and Third) 2 pours of WT RR 101

Last, OGD 114 (what a way to end the evening!)

Had a few Jim Beam Green, then topped it of with a Hirsch 16 (gold foil).

I'm still trying to accept the Hirsh. For the price, I must say I've had better.

Scott

I just had some Blaton's Original. Not as many caramel notes as the Blanton's Gold, but I like this offering, nice way to end the night!!

Scott

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!