What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller Antique 107, then EWSB '96, then Baby Saz - a great way to accompany some games of Scorched3D.

Drinkin' some WT rye. The strange thing is I drink more WT rye than I ever did in the past simply because I'm trying to conserve the Handy:cool:

Drinkin' some WT rye. The strange thing is I drink more WT rye than I ever did in the past simply because I'm trying to conserve the Handy:cool:

Makes sense to me!

Tonight I had several pours of Early Times Straight Kentucky Bourbon, brown label. Really pretty good stuff. Had a couple of pours of Elijah Craig 12 and am now about to finish off a pour of VWFR Rye 13 year old. Been a good night.

Ed

Old Grandad 100 proof BIB. It's cheap, but I actually like it better than a lot of the big dollar bourbons I've had.

I'm still chasing the Foxes,

yeah I can see why this Virginia Gentleman is popular,

havin' a few, as it turns out.

Having received and read Chuck's informative and provocative (as always) "Bourbon Country Reader" today devoted to 'craft' distilling, I was prompted to pour the Old Potrero 19th Century Straight Rye Whiskey (aged 3 years) @ 125.2 proof. I don't know that we should call Anchor's distilling operation a 'craft' one, or not, but the use of 100% malted rye seems to me to strike one of the tenets of Chuck's definition: do something the industrial distillers aren't doing.

I'm not a big fan of the Old Potreros -- which I find lacking in complexity for their price point, probably because of their lack of new-oak aging. This one, however, has it, and I find the rye-ness in greater harmony backed up by some wood. Plus, the proof emphasizes the clove-y cinnamon of the rye. Altogether, this isn't bad -- if you can drink it from someone else's too-expensive bottle.

P.S.: Followed that up with a pour of 15yo (180-month, actually) Jim Beam 80-proof from the mid-'70s. Interesting counterpoint. A reliably-ryed bourbon, the corn added an oily sweetness (as characterized in another current thread) the Old Potrero simply lacks. And the long barrel-aging provided a complexity of alternative tastes that the OP can only dream about.

having a nice sip of old forrester birthday bourbon 1993. this whiskey has a rich caramel oak flavor, one of my top 10. i'd like to know how the other years compare

having a nice sip of old forrester birthday bourbon 1993. this whiskey has a rich caramel oak flavor, one of my top 10. i'd like to know how the other years compare

There were two 2003 editions, Spring and Fall, both very good. Which one is it (check the neck ring)?

They are perhaps more rightly appreciated today, since they were inferior, in most opinions, when issued to the previous 2002. However, the 2004 and 2005 editions were somewhat disappointing before a revival in 2006 -- so, today, the 2003s land in the upper half of the series so far.

I had a slug of Old Charter 12 last night, followed by an Old Grand-Dad 114 right before I hit the sack. Slept like a log...

It is uber early for whiskey her in Socal, but after the day I had and some news I received...OGD 114 and who knows where from here.

The Wife poured it for me after I informed her, I love that woman.

I have to go to work at midnight for a couple of hours tonight. Thus I am being forced to remain in a sober state. I had a nice pour of a Muscat wine after dinner tonight though. I think that this is my type of wine.

After a bourbonless long week of work, I settled in tonite with what is left of my bottle of the current BOTM: Old Grandad BIB. At the moment I have followed it with the opening and first pour of my first bottle of ORVW 10/107. Thus far, a very favorable impression of the Old Rip. It is pretty darn smooth but noticeably livelier than the 15YO version. What will be next?.......who knows - maybe another pour of Old Rip 10 or move on to OGD 114. The night is still young!!!!!

Tonight I am starting off with a pour of Eagle Rare 101 10 year old. I love this whiskey, too bad they aren't bottling it anymore. I haven't seen one on the shelf in ages. I hope they bring the brand back some day when they have enough whiskey to do it.

Ed

Tonight was WLW '06 and a very fine Gurkha Royal Salute cigar. Those two together was pure money.

I started out tonight with some cocktails. First, a Cointreau Cocktail using Plymouth gin, Appleton white Jamaican rum, and (of course) Cointreau. Then, a Flying Fish, also with Plymouth gin and Cointreau, along with Luxardo maraschino and some Fee's peach bitters.

Then, I made a Red Hook using my single-barrel Baby Saz (and, per my taste, more Punt e Mes, less maraschino, and a couple of shakes of peach bitters). I used three of the Michter's cherries as a garnish. Ambrosia!

Well, since I didn't have to drive anywhere, I then had a pour of Rittenhouse BIB, neat, and now some Aberlour A'Bunadh for a nightcap. (bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :slappin:)

Fat tire beer...the last one :( --- a gift from Dane :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks Dane :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

Tonight I started off with a pour of VWFR Rye 13 yo followed by ORVW Old Time Rye 12 year old. Tonight I prefered the 12 yo which surprised me a bit as on previos tastings I had prefered the VEFR Rye. Then I had a pour of Sazarac 16 yo 2006. I can't say where it ranks in relationship to the other two. They are all top flight Ryes.

On to bourbon, I am now having a pour of OGD 86 proof. I thought it would probably be better to have a rye heavy bourbon after starting out with rye.

Ed

Fat tire beer...the last one :( --- a gift from Dane :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks Dane :grin: :grin:

Bettye Jo

Aaahhhhh... Fat Tire... the world's :grin: greatest :grin: beer!

You have excellent :bowdown: taste indeed.

For the summer months, might I suggest New Belgium's Skinny Dip - very, very, very refreshing!

Last night I finished a bottle of W.L. Weller 12 yr - enjoyed each and every drink and will definitely be replacing it soon.

~tp

I started with a couple of ounces of mixed bourbons and ryes and put them in a Jim Beam Bourbon "map" glass. Next, a strong dash of Knob Creek to crank it up a bit.

I had a chocolate bar (candy bar) after lunch, so I don't feel like a sweet drink.

Add a dash of Randy Goode's 1970's-era Pernod. Light squeeze lime.

Now it's come into focus, a Sazerac-style drink, dry and well-balanced with good length and vigor. The faint lime in the back really completes the taste which is round and full yet without any kind of sweet to help achieve this.

Gary

Last night it was Old Overholt rye (current version) and then some Jim Beam 10yr. from a 1981 decanter. Today it is Old Williamsburg 101 and then Evan Wiliams 1783. Later on it will be Eagle Rare 17 and then who knows!

Thomas

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!