What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

CrispyCritter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Forester BIB for me; this is a favorite pour, all dark fruit and chocolate. One of the world's best bourbons, regardless of price, I'd say. Always hits the spot!

I just opened my Virginia Gentleman AKA The Foxes.

Before I opened it I had the last shot of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old. And I did not think I would like it at much.

But to my suprise I find the two similar.

VG a little lighter, not as good a finish, but I am very happy with it.

Actually, I didn't mean to imply I thought it 'bad', aka 'undrinkable' -- I just don't prefer the taste. Being so young -- 4 to 6 years for the black label -- it is very congeneric, and I prefer some greater essences of oak.

For mixing with, say, cola, it's preferrable to my Stitzel-Weller, for sure (I have better uses for the good stuff:grin:). But, it's way too expensive for the young whiskey that it is, the price held up only by its successful marketing and the demand thus created.

Well Tim, I'll agree it's fine in Cola where most of what you're tasting is the Cola. I've had it that way when there was no other option I preferred. I must say, however, that neat I do find it "bad".

Also, I have a bit of a thing against Jack because I was one of those poor sots who bought the hype and actually thought that JD was what bourbon was about! Think of all those years of possible bourbon enjoyment I missed because of that! Tom V

Finished off my bottle of OGD114 the other night so I made a shopping stop today. I picked up some WTRB, as I hadn't had that in a while. I guess as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder, I can't imagine why I hadn't picked any up for so long. This is one of the greats in my book!!

Tim

Old Weller Antique 107 tonight...for $17 flat out the door, its hard to beat...Come to think of it there is only 1 maybe 2 others that I like better for the same $$$$

Black Maple Hill Rye 23 Years Old. Good stuff. I've loved every rye I've tasted but I can pass on the Old Overholt.

Although I’m experiencing that anomaly where the second time you drink from the bottle is not as good as the first I’m still enjoying this MM quite a bit.

This morning I realized my open bottles choices were down to two (I never keep more than six opened at a time to choose from). So tonight, as I begin my weekend, I'll open a couple new ones. I'm thinking a bottle each of William Laure Weller 2006 and Old Commonwealth 107 should be fitting for the occasion. Couple good football games this weekend beg the good stuff.

Last night it was Pappy 15 and 04' Stagg. Tonight it is Virgin 7yr. 101 and Johnny Drum 15yr. 101. I love just drawing names out of a box (I have over 100 bottles in my bar), that way I am always suprised. Cheers!

Thomas

Just a taste of WT-KS, then a pour of the '06 Handy rye, neat. Fantastic legs on that one...I kept swirling the glass just to see the tiny rivulets form and walk down the glass.

a dram of basil hayden and a manhatten with buffalow trace. by the way, dont make a manhatten with buffalow trace!

A very quick Maker's in the Crown Room at LAX. A couple of Woodfords on the flight home. And finally a few more Wild Turkeys at the weekly poker game, that I was lucky to catch the tail-end of. Bourbon in 4 timezones in 6 hours. :woohoo:

JOE

Old Heaven Hill 10 year old BIB, Thanks Mark! We exchanged some bottles when I was back in the States last fall, this was one of them. I just cracked it open tonight. Great bourbon. The Heaven Hill menthol is here and wonderful.

After that I had a pour of Eagle Rare 10 year 101 proof. Another great bourbon, this time from Buffalo Trace. I counted and see that have 5 bottles still bunkered, but I haven't seen one of the shelf in months. I am going to have to start conserving it.

And back to Heaven Hill BIB. Menthol, orange, a hint of vanilla. Wonderful

Ed

I'm still squeezing the last drops of my '04 GTS and WTKS, also of '04.

First up the GTS, this stuff is so over whelming with a good fire, it is serious at first then the aromas and tastes make you forget the proof.

The sweetness and the good fire work so well together.

I may postpone the WTKS, for another round of Stagg.

One pour of WTRR 101, then a small pour of Handy, now a small pour of Larue...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!