What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went to my Dentist's house tonight. He had done some work for a friend and ended up with a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, so we had a couple of pours. I liked it quite a bit. From there we tapped into the bottle of Pappy 23 I brought over and then one of his 4R 120th's I had dropped off for him.

I'd call it a good night...only thing missing was a good smoke, only because I passed.

Tony

It's the weekend--for me!

A small glass of 4R 120 (Barrel T 116 proof) since I have to get up early and exercise, then drive to Eagle River, WI to see my son who's at camp. Bringing Pappy 20 for the dads.

Came home early today to discover my replacement Pappy 15 cork had arrived from ACDetroit. So while in process of changing out said cork, I enjoyed a nice pour of the Pappy 15. Hotter (or spicier, for lack of a better word) than I was expecting, but in a good way.

VSOF and now Lot B.

FIll FIll FIll

Interesting. Two 12yo wheaters.

I'm doing something similar - Lot B and Weller 12, side-by-side.

More alike than different. The VW has a little more maple on the nose, and is maybe a touch smoother...but not much different otherwise...

WLW 19yo, from the first release in 2000. Woody, very malty, not much fruit. Interesting and enjoyable, but does not taste like a S-W wheater.

Interesting. Two 12yo wheaters.

I'm doing something similar - Lot B and Weller 12, side-by-side.

More alike than different. The VW has a little more maple on the nose, and is maybe a touch smoother...but not much different otherwise...

If that's the case then the 12 yr Weller is a bargain. At ~$30 vs. the Lot B at ~$47. I haven't had the Weller 12 yr as I've been partial to the higher proof Centennial and so I've always just grabbed that. Now that the Centennial is discontinued (i.e., will reappear under a more expensive branding - perhaps as a VW product), I'm interested to go out and get a bottle of the 12 yr.

ORVW 10 107 and it taste good! I will go to the Rover (Gothenburg) with my son for some Swedish micro beer and good food later.

Leif

An early start today.

Sitting on the patio (thankful for hotel wireless) overlooking Duck Lake in Eagle River, WI, enjoying a generous pour of Pappy 20 with another Pappy fan (his room, his computer). This bottle may make it to empty at the rate we're going.

Soon, it's off to a place called Pitlik's that I'm told makes an amazing Bloody Mary. Better save some room!

I'm having a drink or two from a bottle of Yellowstone that I'm trying to empty. I said before that this is one bourbon I wouldn't buy again. Strange thing is that for some reason, today it doesn't taste half bad. I'm not saying that I would rush out and buy another, but it's been sitting for a few weeks and I decided to revisit it. I thought, "what the heck". I don't know if I'll ever get a handle on the different tastes of bourbon. One time Ehhh. One time wow! Go figure. I'm sure others have been there before me. Joe

Last night it was American Spirit, Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden's.

Had some lightweights over who turned in after that....it could have got so much more interesting!

Scott

This afternoon, I enjoyed a celebratory drink after closing on our business loan (successfully). I opened a half pint of 1971 distilled Town Tavern KSBW, 80 proof, 4 years old. Had a fruity nose, apples and then some maple. I was surprised by the long finish for a lower proof.

My wife and I went out to dinner with another couple tonight. The restaurant only had JB White, so I had a couple of Jim and Cokes. We went back to their place and had a couple more drinks before heading home. He likes JD and knows I like bourbon, so he brought out a bottle of ETL that I gave him for his birthday. We sat out on his back patio for a while drinking and talking. Too bad I have to work tomorrow, or we would have stayed quite a while longer. It was a good night. Joe

Trying to slowly finish a bottle of Basil Hayden...I was not fan when I first purchased it....now...with about 1/4 bottle left....it seems a little better.

It is not bad...but it just seemed to miss the mark....but maybe oxidation has helped...dunno.

Trying to slowly finish a bottle of Basil Hayden...I was not fan when I first purchased it....now...with about 1/4 bottle left....it seems a little better.

It is not bad...but it just seemed to miss the mark....but maybe oxidation has helped...dunno.

Don't put too much thought into this one...it's just not that good.

Had to work late. It was a warm ride home (it's finally summer here) so I wanted something cold. Two parts WT rye to three parts Coke on the rocks did the trick.

With dinner (grilled lamb chops) opened a bottle of 2002 Ridge "Lytton Springs" Zinfandel. Great combo.

Now it's 12yo Weller, neat.

Don't put too much thought into this one...it's just not that good.

Yeah, I know....it is drinkable...just not a favorite. Oh well...it was an early purchase in my bourbon collection....on the recommendation of a liqour store employee...before I knew better.

I need to Gillmanize it.....

This afternoon, I enjoyed a celebratory drink after closing on our business loan (successfully). I opened a half pint of 1971 distilled Town Tavern KSBW, 80 proof, 4 years old. Had a fruity nose, apples and then some maple. I was surprised by the long finish for a lower proof.

Congrats to you and Mark!! I sipped on a bit of the vintage Benchmark 86PF you kindly left behind on your last visit. Very soft to the palate, long finish and delicious.... certainly a different pour than todays Benchmark.

Congrats to you and Mark!! I sipped on a bit of the vintage Benchmark 86PF you kindly left behind on your last visit. Very soft to the palate, long finish and delicious.... certainly a different pour than todays Benchmark.

I like that Benchmark from Seagrams....it has a smoothness that is not found in any of todays middle shelf labels.

Last night WT 101 won again... 2night though, I think I'll get into the BT.

So many choices... so little time... ;-)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!