What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night it was Maker's Mark red and gold wax, then some Basil Hayden's.

That 101 Makers is good stuff!! Smells just like maple syrup!

Scott

Ok, As much of a Maker's fan as I was, and in some ways continue to be, can we stop referencing the 101 version?

I live in SoCal, not an ebay guy and would enjoy a taste. Just one.

Mr. Samuels, nice job selling MM, now how about expanding your lineup in the USA.

WT Rare breed.

After drinking WT 12 the other night, this RB seems a bit thin and lacking despite its barrel proof.

Mr. Samuels, nice job selling MM, now how about expanding your lineup in the USA.

Amen.

As far as tonight, I'm having some ER 10 SB in a Glencairn. Great way to taste bourbon.

Old Forester 2007 Birthday bourbon in honor of my friend Jim's birthday. Of course, he's away on a golf outing. We'll have a drink (or 2 or 3 or...)together this weekend visiting our sons up at camp in Eagle River, WI.

Mid 80's Rebel Yell which I believe would be SW bourbon.

Would love to revisit that pour. Had some very early in my journey and I afraid I was way before my time.

I couldn't resist the lure of the cheezy gold foil WT12 so I opened it this evening after a 13 hour day at work. :bigeyes: It's the best Turkey I've ever tasted with a WTAS pending in the cabinet.

After trying to decode the numbers elsewhere on the bottle, I noticed a really cryptic 06/09/94 12:33 printed on the neck, so it looks like this was distilled around the time I started high school.

This is unusual, a second pour. Bulleit this time. One more work day, then a very long weekend.

I couldn't resist the lure of the cheezy gold foil WT12 so I opened it this evening ............. I noticed a really cryptic 06/09/94 12:33 printed on the neck, so it looks like this was distilled around the time I started high school.

Jeez, distilled a few months after my son was born.

Trying out the Bernheim Wheat Whiskey tonight...pretty good stuff.

WT Rare breed.

After drinking WT 12 the other night, this RB seems a bit thin and lacking despite its barrel proof.

Brad,

A humble suggestion: Try again, and this time focus on discerning aromas of honey and flowers.

IMO Rare Breed is apart from the Wild Turkey house profile. It tastes best when approached without expecting the heavy influence of the barrel (tannins?) that to me characterizes every other WT bourbon.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Brad,

A humble suggestion: Try again, and this time focus on discerning aromas of honey and flowers.

IMO Rare Breed is apart from the Wild Turkey house profile. It tastes best when approached without expecting the heavy influence of the barrel (tannins?) that to me characterizes every other WT bourbon.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

On my second glass I did get the usually flowers accompanied by citrus notes. The honey, which I know is there, (this bottle has been opened since February), never showed itself. Or rather, I didn't pick up on it. Sometimes it has struck me as being almost as honeyd as Dalmore 12.

That second glass, was a bit hurried. We decided to go into town to the Dairy Queen and get a couple Blizzards. No worries, Janean drove. That was several hours ago. I could pour another glass, but its getting late. Its pretty much bedtime for Bonzo over here in this lonely (bourbon wise) corner of Northwestern ILL.

You are right about the tannins.

Ok, As much of a Maker's fan as I was, and in some ways continue to be, can we stop referencing the 101 version?

I live in SoCal, not an ebay guy and would enjoy a taste. Just one.

When I met Bill in May, he told me my 101 bottles must be 20-30 years old. They are certainly not made any more.

Scott

Tonight I had some mates from Sydney I used to play basketball with drop in.

We had Gentleman Jack, Maker's 101, Basil Hayden's, Woodford Reserve, RR101 and some American Spirit.

Scott

Picked up a bottle of EW BIB today and gave it a try. Actually a very nice BIB offering that is quite different from the HH BIB. I found it very soft, full flavored and mouth coating for what I assume to be a 4 year old product. For $12 in Virginia it is quite a good value.

Had Men's Movie Night (Periodic gathering of random guy friends for non-girl movies) and watched Sixteen Blocks.

Pizza and Beer for others. Pizza and Eagle Rare 10 year-old for me. I offered but they chose Heinken Light! To each his own

Lots of variations of S-W whiskey in a flight (see notes [thread=9962]here[/thread]) and a nightcap of [thread=9959]VBT#119[/thread].

UPDATE: Note to others -- don't try them in the order I described! I dumped half of the 1792 down the drain...

I'm drinking Old Grand Dad BIB w/ a dash of Boylan's Cane Cola. This stuff is expensive for soda, but seriously so much better than coke.

Tonight, I've run through quite a few....couple pours of each. Dowling Deluxe Bib 8yr...if you haven't had it...find one! AAA and AA Bib...both worthy of a purchase. Lot B L-burg...'nough said there.

Jeff--

Dowling Deluxe 8yo came up as a WAG in the Virtual Blind Tasting yesterday and no-one had heard of it -- where is it sold, and how does it differ in profile from other HH expressions?

I have found all my bottles in Ky. The bottle in front of me sold for $13.35 for a liter.

If you have had any EW 7/90 from the early 80's....I would say that it is a 100 proof expression of that. There is no earthyness that comes through in EC12. It does have faint bits of dryness that you find in lots of the higher HH expressions. Wonderfully balenced....notes of nuts and well toasted caramel. One of the best HH bourbons I have had to date.

My bottle dates 06 with the DSP 31 sticker on the back. It does not seem to be 100% old HH....I say that as I take a sip from some HH 86 from 1994. They have some similar qualities, but the DD is just so much fatter and richer. If you make it to Ky, I highly recommend this Bib.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!