What are you drinking tonight, Summer '08

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I spent the evening sipping some mighty fine Old Charter 12 Year Old and enjoying every bit of it...I am only going to open a new bottle once a year in order to make this good bourbon last for some time.

the last of the new version of WTRB.... and some MM variations... 101 and black..

Last night I vatted 1/2 Julio's Weller with 1/2 VSOF. Wasn't bad but the VSOF was overpowered and it seemed that the less appealing elements of the VSOF came through more than the vanilla and caramel that always reminds me of Pappy 20. Perhaps if I mixed it 80-20 VSOF to Weller that might work better. or maybe with ORVW or something.

I did have a glass of ORVW 10/107 to finish the night though....

Last night I vatted 1/2 Julio's Weller with 1/2 VSOF. Wasn't bad but the VSOF was overpowered and it seemed that the less appealing elements of the VSOF came through more than the vanilla and caramel that always reminds me of Pappy 20. Perhaps if I mixed it 80-20 VSOF to Weller that might work better. or maybe with ORVW or something.

I did have a glass of ORVW 10/107 to finish the night though....

Dude... the only thing the Julio's Weller should be vatted with is the air in your glass... the balance on that is so good that anything you put into it will take away the balance...

My personal vatting practice poses two whiskies that lean in opposite directions to get harmony...

What are you trying to overcome in the VSOF that does not work for you? ... If you are looking to soften it.. maybe the BernHeim... the two will bring you closer to the Julio's Weller...

Dude... the only thing the Julio's Weller should be vatted with is the air in your glass... the balance on that is so good that anything you put into it will take away the balance...

My personal vatting practice poses two whiskies that lean in opposite directions to get harmony...

What are you trying to overcome in the VSOF that does not work for you? ... If you are looking to soften it.. maybe the BernHeim... the two will bring you closer to the Julio's Weller...

I know it sounds sacrilegious to mess with the Centennial but I thought to myself "what if I could add that vanilla-caramel flavor that I find in both the VSOF and Pappy 20 to the Centennial? This might even get me closer to a Pappy 15 at a fraction of the cost."

Unfortunately it didn't pan out. There's just something in the VSOF that I love and that is a bit lacking at the same time. It's hard to put a finger on it. I was hoping the Weller might fill-in the gaps in the taste profile.... but alas there seems to be no way of improving on that great Weller pour icon11.gif

I neglected to report on my sip of Eagle Rare 17 y/o during the evening of Independence Day.

Drinking bourbon only once, rarely twice a month has caused my frame of reference to shift dramatically. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that every drink is like my first, which is to say, overpowering.

Actually the nose was very pleasant and well-balanced between sweet and soot. However, I detected not a single nuance to justify resorting the SB.com list of bourbon flavors.

The palate, to but it bluntly, was a shock. After I recovered from the first sip, I resorted to placing a few drops at a time on my tongue. That's not a bad thing; an ounce of bourbon lasts an hour that way. The dominant flavor was char, regardless.

The finish involved flavor less than sensation. The back of my mouth and my throat felt as though they were expanding under pressure from a chemical reaction.

Next time I'm going to revisit the ERSB 10 y/o, which I recall as leaning toward sweetness -- probably best for a perpetual novice like me.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Last night I was able to meet Philsfan while attending a small gathering at Cigarnv's home. We had a great time and sampled a fine selection of bourbons:

Parker Heritage 1st release - I was an instant fan....loved it

ORVW 15/107

'78 Seagrams Benchmark Premium - very smooth

'04 Stagg - hotter than I remember

'82 Old Fitz BIB

FR120 - Very very good, wish I had a bottle

Lot B

..and other selections.

Thanks Reid....great time as usual.

Finished a bottle of FR 40th followed by a pour (or two) of FR 120.

Been marvelling at the uniquely different taste profile of the FR expressions. I think it is the yeast. Definitely a fruity, yeasty, undertone unlike that found in other bourbons..

We had a few friends over for a cookout this afternoon to bridge the gap between waking up in Myrtle Beach on Saturday and heading to work on Monday. I have to say that it worked out nicely.

One of the guys in attendance is a strictly beer and clear spirits guy, so he was on his own. The other guy is my Binny's order partner, so I mixed up a few really tasty whiskey sours with Templeton Rye. We followed them up with a nice pour of the Eagle Rare 10/101 that I just brought back with me. We were both impressed with the complexity of the whiskey. Yet another semi non-replaceable bottle that I really like. Sheez.

Weller SR. This one's been sitting in the back of the liquor closet for a couple of months. Glad I brought it out tonight.

Last night while watching a terribly boring Nascar race I enjoyed some William Larue Weller 117.9 proof. What a gem this turned out to be. I've had it for months but didn't open this bottle until about a month ago.

Tonight enjoying some Talisker while rooting for the Sox to beat the Yankees. And of course the holiday weekend was spent grilling and enjoying some good old American Sam Adams summer ale and Bud. In all likelihood this will be the last summer that Bud is American owned so that tradition will have to die in my backyard.

Chris

Something light tonight. Powers Gold on the rocks. I briefly thought about choosing a bourbon and building a Manhattan in the glass but the Nolli Prat is clear down in the basement refrigerator. :skep:

Today I had a couple of glasses of Old Weller Antique 107 on the rocks with some cheese and crackers, and then I finished the night with some Old Charter 12 neat.

Sippin' some Antique 7/107 while chatting with some SB.com'rs...

A double tonight of Pappy 23 yr old (the double pour was due to the 2 additions to SB.com members family's), very nice.

Cheers to the Scott, Brenda and Georgia. Also to Tim, his wife (sorry) and Audrey!

Tony

Cheers to all the new parents.

Tonight sipping at a beer, Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, the red ale version.

Maybe whiskey later, maybe not, we'll see,

Gary

Some 07 George T Stagg. Now I that have 3 bottles in reserve. The bunker is growing!

Old Grand Dad 114 tonight. A friend recommended a mixture of Dr. Pepper and OGD 114 when I was feeling adventurous. Tonight may be the night.

VBT #118.

If it wasn't so late I'd open the Elmer T Lee that I bought at the same time. I'm really looking forward to that (never had ETL).

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!