What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2009

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not intentionally when I initially had the idea, but eventually, my quest today was to find somewhere open on Easter where I could procure an EC12. I did track one down, but the joke was on me, because even though I checked the cork, it was an extremely musty, sharp, moldy tasting bottle -- serves me right for liquor shopping on the second coming. Anyway, it's like every other one of these is bad and I know the difference between good and bad.

Not intentionally when I initially had the idea, but eventually, my quest today was to find somewhere open on Easter where I could procure an EC12. I did track one down, but the joke was on me, because even though I checked the cork, it was an extremely musty, sharp, moldy tasting bottle -- serves me right for liquor shopping on the second coming. Anyway, it's like every other one of these is bad and I know the difference between good and bad.

Have you contacted HH?

Have you contacted HH?

No, I should -- but the good ones are soooo good and the bad ones are sooooo bad.

I got a super nasty bottle of EC12, and contacted HH by internet more than a week ago, but no reply. What to do?

I got a super nasty bottle of EC12, and contacted HH by internet more than a week ago, but no reply. What to do?

I guess it'll just be more-expensive-than-usual cooking bourbon. I'm more than a little disappointed, though . . . I'd hate to have to stop buying this brand, as it's my favorite, but that's almost $60 dropped on rotten whiskey since September. At least I got one of those bottles replaced from the store.

Bought 3 bottles of Gentleman Jack as they had them on sale for $19.95 a bottle...a good mixer when drinking bourbon straight won't do. :drink:

Call me crazy, but I picked up another EC12 tonight and it was delicious. My thinking was that if I'm returning the bad bottle to Heaven Hill, I may as well get a replacement before I ship, that way if the replacement is bad, I can ship both. Thankfully, that will not be necessary.

Found some wathen's today.. can't wait to crack it open.

also located another bottle of RR90... I know it's not as good as the 101, but I have been loving it.

Call me crazy, but I picked up another EC12 tonight and it was delicious. My thinking was that if I'm returning the bad bottle to Heaven Hill, I may as well get a replacement before I ship, that way if the replacement is bad, I can ship both. Thankfully, that will not be necessary.

Makes sence to me. How do the two vatt?

Makes sence to me. How do the two vatt?

I won't put the good EC in with the bad, like Squash said, the tainted EC12 ruins everything it touches. I made my sister-in-law smell it and she nearly puked on the spot. It's nasty.

Finally decided to give 1792 another chance yesterday after my last bottle (close to a year ago) was as bad as they come.

Had a little sniff and a sip yesterday, and it was pretty damn good. Like a more refined, softer VOB. Not gonna be dumping this one out!

Hey Josh, is there anything on the bottle that might remotely identify this particular run?

I've been thinking about getting a bottle.

I haven't had one since '05 and I liked it, but it was easy to move on to something else, a little to easy, and there was so much more to taste.

There's not much in the way of identifying marks on this bottle beyond what might be considered BS. All it says is that it was from warehouse Z, checked by Ken Pierce and approved by George Something. The Character is described as rich & velvety.

Oh but on the bottom of the back is B6 164 12:15, for what that's worth.

Hey Oscar,

On the way to the Sampler next week, if you get a chance, stop at Cork and bottle and see if they still offer the 1792 in the single barrel, special barrel purchase offering. I have never had it but have heard it was good. I too have a bottle of 1792 from when it was first released and it isn't bad whiskey!

Thomas

Hey Oscar,

On the way to the Sampler next week,..........

I won't be making it to the Sampler.

My wife took a turn for the worse and had surgery today.

But on a lighter note, I did purchase something today.

Call me a nerdy collector if you must, but I saw the new labels of Russell's Resrve 90 Bourbon and Rye today.

Of course I had to get them.

Call me a nerdy collector if you must, but I saw the new labels of Russell's Resrve 90 Bourbon and Rye today.

Of course I had to get them.

Nerd.

padnerdpadnerdpadnerd.

:grin:

Got a couple of goodies today.

A Wild Turkey Tribute, the Japanese export, 15yo 110prf.

And

A Wild Turkey 1855 Reserve

Batch No W-T-10-92

110prf

NAS

That gives me 31 different Turkey labels.

I'm gunning for you HighTower.:grin:

I still need a Freedom, Stampede, Heritage and two others whose names escape me now.

One has what looks like platinum on the lower part of the bottle.

And the other one looks like a big perfume bottle with an indented circle in the middle where the label is.

Picked up my first bottle of Elmer T Lee today. Can't wait to get off work and see what it is all about.

Took my son to look at a college in PA, on the way back I stopped at Mountain Liquor just over the MD border and found some VW Family Reserve Rye. Never had this one before, but I've heard good things about it.

A little dusty hinting in the D.

750 mL, no dates on the tax stamp, UPC 88508, plenty of dust on the bottle

3456219703_31d0cf2b52.jpg

A little dusty hinting in the D.

750 mL, no dates on the tax stamp, UPC 88508, plenty of dust on the bottle

3456219703_31d0cf2b52.jpg

Nice one . . . got myself a Dickel No. 12 today.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.