what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a pour of Willett R/E 17yr 133.2...if there is a much better wheated bourbon on the face of the planet I'd love to try it! :cool:

Started with a bit of Angels Envy, then moved to a similar amount of Willett 4yr Rye.

After a long two days of work, a lovely end to the work week. Just hoping that the phone isn't going to ring in the morning tomorrow morning with a work issue.

B

Tried some new ones tonight with a friend:

High West Bourye: Really good. Nice balance.

Noah's Mill: Loved. Like a thicker version of Jefferson 15 year. Really good.

Wathen's: OK. There's better out there for $25.

Had some friends over for a birthday get together.

Birthday guy had some VWFRR, others had some Lagavulin, I had a few pours of the Blend. A nice fire, good whiskey, a few cigars, an d old friends, a great night.

Finally after an almost 2 month lapse, I got some OWA today (it had been back ordered almost a month), and couldn't wait to crack one open. I swear it looked darker and oldee than what I jad previously, but tasted a bit younger. I chalked that mostly up to my recollection since I have I have tried so many different things over its absence.

However, it also had that grassy taste on the finish that seems to be the signature on a lot of Buffalo Trace products, and that I know wasn't there on previous bottles I've had. So, now it has me wondering if this os the first batch (I've had), since the 7 year Age Statement came ofd of the WSR, and this is what the result of it actually now getting younger means.

It is still good stuff, and I still like it, and it is still a great bargain for the price, ot is just a little different.

Pappy 20-year that just came out in '12. Very solid and holds its own with prior years. Sweet, warm and wonderful. Simply a terrific wheater. I'm pleased I could find some bottles for the short time it was on the shelf.

Glenfarclas 17-year which was incredible. Soft, soft, soft on entry with that sherried scotch goodness undulating forever on the palate. This is a Macallan 18-year killer in my book.

ETL 90th last night. Just like regular ETL, but with a bit more vanilla. This is one of those bourbons that you find that you really like just as you reach the last quarter of your last bottle.

ETL 90th last night. Just like regular ETL, but with a bit more vanilla. This is one of those bourbons that you find that you really like just as you reach the last quarter of your last bottle.

I have a CnB bottle of ETL that was just okay until I got about a third of the way through the bottle and then the flavors EXPLODED. It's now a fantastic whiskey and one that I want more of!

I have a CnB bottle of ETL that was just okay until I got about a third of the way through the bottle and then the flavors EXPLODED. It's now a fantastic whiskey and one that I want more of!

What # is your CnB ETL?

Started the night with a couple small pours of Cabin Still 90pr, DougDog Willett 18yr #8550, and Ezra Brooks 7/90...gonna hit some SB's here soon while watching the Blackhawks tonight! :cool:

I found a bottle of Blanton's Straight From the Barrel for under 3,500 yen. I think it was miss labeled, but I asked and they told me that was the price, so I bought it.

It is very nice. I think I will have a small pour.

Did a flight of 3+ decades of Benchmark:

~1979 86 proof - Louisville

~1990 80 proof - NOLA

~1999 80 proof - Frankfort (McAfee's)

Current 80 proof - Frankfort (McAfee's Old No. 8 Brand)

I'll post my opinion in BOTM but that forum won't allow pics.

post-5814-144898178564_thumb.jpg

post-5814-144898178564_thumb.jpg

After 15 years without a playoff win, i decided to have a few pours of Pappy 15 yr for the Florida Panthers win tonight.

After watching my NJ Devils lose to a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 15 years, I drowned my sorrows in some KCSB.

I just popped my second PHC wheated. Water to around 110pf and I find bliss. I was down to only two open wheaters: ORVW 10/107 and Weller12. I've been disappointed in the 2011 bottled ORVW. It's been open since last year and has not evolved into as rich a bottle as the last one I had from Spring '11.

But the PHC... it's much revered on this site, and for good reason.

I also opened a bottle of Vintage 21 bourbon late last week. It's indubitably HH juice, and rough around the edges. I like a shot of heavy oak every once in awhile, and this stuff packs it in. Otherwise, it's not very noteworthy.

Just popped open the FR1B I bought today. Really tried to restrain from opening since I have plenty open, but this one is what I felt right about.

I just popped my second PHC wheated. Water to around 110pf and I find bliss. I was down to only two open wheaters: ORVW 10/107 and Weller12. I've been disappointed in the 2011 bottled ORVW. It's been open since last year and has not evolved into as rich a bottle as the last one I had from Spring '11.

But the PHC... it's much revered on this site, and for good reason.

I have the opposite problem...I'm down to just one open ryed bourbon and have 7 different open wheaters. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to open up a Taylor Tornado, Willett 11yr (I'm guessing this has a rye mashbill), BTEC 1993, EC 18, or maybe just a Virgin 101.

I have the opposite problem...I'm down to just one open ryed bourbon and have 7 different open wheaters. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to open up a Taylor Tornado, Willett 11yr (I'm guessing this has a rye mashbill), BTEC 1993, EC 18, or maybe just a Virgin 101.

Whoops, I lied, I have a Pappy20 open as well. That makes 16 bourbons, 2 Irish, 3 ryes, 5 scotches and 1 WTF (Oregon WhipperSnapper... wtf?). I try to keep my open bottles below 30, and I have yet to fail in this. I wish I could keep it under 20, but at this point, it ain't going to happen. And, truthfully, I don't even think I can fit 30 bottles in my open liquor cabinet.

This PHC wheater is some divine candy alright. I have a pretty intense sense memory from the first bottle: my wife thought she was going into labor at 3am after we had been to a friend's (and fellow bourbonian's) place for dinner. I had been asleep for maybe two [bourbon-soaked] hours, when she woke me up with the declaration that the time had come.

8 hours later we were back at home on a Sunday morning and the bun was still in the oven. I drank PHC wheated as we watched The Return of the King, and it warmly soothed my lack of sleep and false alarm trauma with a nuzzling charm.

This stuff can't help but bring me back to a lazy, sleep-deprived Sunday morning before our amazing daughter joined us, getting high on a special bourbon and letting the fear of consequences float out the window. It was the perfect juice for the moment, and it remains sublime today.

A touch of A Smith Bowman Fairfax County BIB. Such delicious whiskey, that it makes me wonder why they quit distilling in the first place.

A touch of A Smith Bowman Fairfax County BIB. Such delicious whiskey, that it makes me wonder why they quit distilling in the first place.

Sounds interesting, Joe! I just went looking for more info, but there wasn't much out there and the 3rd hit on google was your post in the Dusty thread. Guess you have something even more unique than I originally thought!

This stuff is incredible. One of the best I had at your house the other night, Joe.

Started the night off with something across the pond, Redbreast CS, then moved on to a bottle that I need to finish, Binny's FRSB OESV. It's something that I've had open for awhile time, and for a couple of weeks it's been languishing at the bar with about two inches left in it. While ok, it just wasn't doing it for me.

Until tonight. Not sure if it was just the time in bottle, or perhaps the combination of the RB before, but man, it is now a transformed pour. It's previous bite is gone, new flavors have popped forward, and a greater sweetness is now present. Finally, it's lived up to the expectations that I had of it. Took way to long, and now there is way too little to really enjoy the rest.

Need to make some empty spaces for some new choices on the bar soon, with a upcoming birthday in the family, not mine, my son, turning three this year, looking forward to opening a couple gems with the family and friends to share.

Enjoy

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!