What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are the CnB OWA selections tasty? How do they compare to OWA standard?

I've been tearing through the CnB #60. Much fruitier and richer than regular OWA. Almost tastes like an entirely different whiskey. Highly recommended.

A quick trip to Central Tennessee yielded a couple each of PVW 15's and PVW 20's.

I found some dusties on the outskirts of town.

The first bottle is Rare Breed in a tube. The bottle tag has a copyright date of 2006 so I figure its been sitting there for 5-6 years. At $45 it didn't strike me as a bargain but I thought it would be nice to have and I welcome comments from any long time RB fans.

The second bottle is I. W. Harper 15-year at 80 proof in a bottle with gold squiggly lines. The bottle reminded me some of those old OF bottles and it states it was distilled in Louisville so I'm hoping it's Stizel-Weller juice of some kind. The bottle tag has a copyright of 1998 which would place the distillate at around 1983. It was $60. Unfortunately, I'm simply not familiar with this label and hopefully someone can shed some light on what this is exactly.

The final bottle is Old Weller Antique 107 at 7-years old. It's from Frankfort so I'm pretty sure it's a wheater from Buffalo Trace. Since it was sitting next to the I. W. Harper, I'm figuring it was about as old but I don't know for sure. Maybe from the early-to-mid 90's? I don't know the production history well enough. It was $40.

Only had a SB OWA once and it was very good. Like BarrelChar said above, almost a different whiskey when compared to the normal OWA. With the interesting comments from HW on the possible demise of OWA, I figured now was a good time to stock up. :cool:

The RB should have a date on the neck. The most recent stuff that is in all the stores is WT-RB-03. I have yet to find a bottle that doesn't have the date.

I was just looking for a thread for reference, and learned some new things myself. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12507&page=2

Hopefully that was for a 1.75 of the OWA! My very basic understanding is that the older bottles from Frankfort have the "No___" in the top left of the label.

The first bottle is Rare Breed in a tube. The bottle tag has a copyright date of 2006 so I figure its been sitting there for 5-6 years. At $45 it didn't strike me as a bargain but I thought it would be nice to have and I welcome comments from any long time RB fans.

The second bottle is I. W. Harper 15-year at 80 proof in a bottle with gold squiggly lines. The bottle reminded me some of those old OF bottles and it states it was distilled in Louisville so I'm hoping it's Stizel-Weller juice of some kind. The bottle tag has a copyright of 1998 which would place the distillate at around 1983. It was $60. Unfortunately, I'm simply not familiar with this label and hopefully someone can shed some light on what this is exactly.

The final bottle is Old Weller Antique 107 at 7-years old. It's from Frankfort so I'm pretty sure it's a wheater from Buffalo Trace. Since it was sitting next to the I. W. Harper, I'm figuring it was about as old but I don't know for sure. Maybe from the early-to-mid 90's? I don't know the production history well enough. It was $40.

The RB has the current 03 batch number.

The OWA is 750ml with the No.___ on the top left. The number is blank.

The I.W. Harper 15 year was first introduced as part of the Bourbon Heritage Collection in 1994. It was produced at the Belmont Distillery (where the new Bernheim distillery now stands). So... no, it is not Stitzel-Weller.

Anyone know the price on those 3 Van Winkle bottles just to cure my curiosity?

Those VWs are LONG gone, Ryan. As someone mentioned previously, the CnB website is very outdated.

A visiting friend delivered some fine bottles. Fun!

Immnc.jpg

Is that mini of Old Forester BIB distilled and bottled at DSP-414?

Is that mini of Old Forester BIB distilled and bottled at DSP-414?

Yes! Exciting.

Tried to take a pic, but it didn't come out too well.

fmKlM.jpg

Knob Creek SB - $27.99

Baker's - $25.77

Never had them. I hope they're good.

I haven't tried the KCSB but Baker's is solid. And those prices are very good. PM me if you don't mind giving up the location.

Picked up a bottle of ETL at Weiland's in Columbus, OH. It has been almost a year since my last ETL and I find myself wondering why. I get some maple, caramel, honey, and citrus all beautifully balanced. On one sip, I could have sworn I had bitten into a chocolate covered cherry. Quite a surprise though ETL leans toward subtle rather than surprising. Don't look for the kind of whack up side the head you get with OGD 114. Because of its marvelous QPR, I would even rate ETL a "value pour."

On sale at Morelli's right now. Booker's is $34.77 right now too and Basil Hayden is $24.77. Buffalo Trace is 17.77 and 1792 is always $18.88. Morelli's generally has some great deals. And the Baker's was $26.77. My bad.

Here's this weekend's ad.

http://morellismarket.com/Complete_Ad.html

Wow:bigeyes: I know where I'm going after work. Thanks!

Wow:bigeyes: I know where I'm going after work. Thanks!

I'm a negotiator/cheap bastard for a living. Morelli's is a gem...but for some people not in a gem of a neighborhood. I happen to like the old Italian East side of St. Paul.

One caveat, remember to bring cash. They don't accept credit cards or debit cards.

Found a bottle of EWSB '01 stamped "Ray's Best Buy," so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't know who Ray is (the place isn't named "Ray's"), but he has pretty good taste. This is the sweetest EWSB I've had. It's still light, as most EWSB seems, but has a very tasty vanilla sugar flavor with just enough oak to keep the sweetness from overpowering. I strayed from EWSB lately having been captivated by bolder pours, but I'm appreciating some of the subtleties EWSB has to offer these days.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!