What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would have to have a compelling reason other than the whisky itself to pay essentially twice retail for a bottle of OFBB.

I passed up on an I.W. Harper 15 year. $40. Should I run back for it? These things pop up at the most random places and at the most random times. I've frequented this store quite a bit and out of nowhere this dusty from the BHC appears.

I passed up on an I.W. Harper 15 year. $40. Should I run back for it? These things pop up at the most random places and at the most random times. I've frequented this store quite a bit and out of nowhere this dusty from the BHC appears.

Passed one recently at $80, so $40 seems reasonable. I'd go back for it.

OFBB is supposed to be around $40. I have the 2005 and 2008. Personally, I like the 2005 much better. It's a butterscotch bomb if there ever was one. Everybody has different tastes though. As much as I like the 2005 I would not pay $80...or even $60.

I don't think I had seen one priced above $40 before this, glad I decided to pass.

This is our favorite bourbon and its becoming so hard to come by. It's only 80pf but at $40 I'd run back to the store and grab it before someone else got their hands on it.

I'll go back this evening and pick up the Harper. Mr. Henry, Mr. Flyer, and Mr. Squire...thank you for the response.

Passed on an OFBB 2009, PHC 27yo, and a BMH16. Really neat to see the PHC may have to go back and get it once I replenish my bourbon budget!

PHC 6th at multiple stores in OKC, one new store had it for $67, but I have 5 unopened. None of the stores had the highest proof batch.

Passed on an OFBB 2009, PHC 27yo, and a BMH16. Really neat to see the PHC may have to go back and get it once I replenish my bourbon budget!

DC? Well, I'll be. Was the price reasonable?

Passed on a few handles of old label 80 proof WT, Ardberg Uigedail, and a Knappogue 45 yr? Irish Whiskey I think the $1500 they wanted for it was more money than the entire remaining stock in the store it was in

Passed on 4RSB LE 2011 for $100.

They also had a 2011 THH for $100.

Was shocked to see them in such a shady area.

I inquired as to if they'd take less $ for the 4R since it's been collecting dust for 2 years.

The clerk proceeded to tell me the price goes up the longer it sits as the whiskey continues to age in the bottle.

He was a nice guy so I could have taken a minute to educate him, but I figured in that neighborhood what's the point.

From his perspective that's a plausible reason for hanging onto the bottle.

EWSB 1997

The price was $26 but I passed anyway. The last 2002 I had was good. It just seemed sort of watered down in every way compared to what I normally drink.

Passed on a few handles of old label 80 proof WT, Ardberg Uigedail, and a Knappogue 45 yr? Irish Whiskey I think the $1500 they wanted for it was more money than the entire remaining stock in the store it was in

Oldest I recall seeing is the Knappogue 1951 which was bottled in 1987 after spending 36 years in sherry casks! It is from a long since closed distillery before it was shut down and I have seen it closer to a grand. All other current Knappogue bottlings are sourced whiskey including Bushmills single malts and Cooley whiskey.

Oldest I recall seeing is the Knappogue 1951 which was bottled in 1987 after spending 36 years in sherry casks! It is from a long since closed distillery before it was shut down and I have seen it closer to a grand. All other current Knappogue bottlings are sourced whiskey including Bushmills single malts and Cooley whiskey.

It was the 36 yr whiskey, I guess the store owner used a bit of creativity when he put it on the shelf and just added the 45 year statement...I had never seen it before and the only thing I could read was the sign with the name price and 45 yrs old...

It was the 36 yr whiskey, I guess the store owner used a bit of creativity when he put it on the shelf and just added the 45 year statement...I had never seen it before and the only thing I could read was the sign with the name price and 45 yrs old...

Passed on 4RSB LE 2011 for $100.

They also had a 2011 THH for $100.

Was shocked to see them in such a shady area.

I inquired as to if they'd take less $ for the 4R since it's been collecting dust for 2 years.

The clerk proceeded to tell me the price goes up the longer it sits as the whiskey continues to age in the bottle.

He was a nice guy so I could have taken a minute to educate him, but I figured in that neighborhood what's the point.

Johnny Drum Private Stock for $85.

TPS has it for $26, so good luck with that.

Isn't that one of the bourbons that was reviewed by Robert Parker?

Just a wild guess, but that may have been one of the age stated Johnny Drum Private Stock bottles (used to be 15 years old, now is NAS). Either way that is too high. The rent in that place must be too damn high. The Rent Is Too Damn High!

Edited by Wryguy

Stopped to grab a six pack at a liquor store just down from my office yesterday when I noticed a bottle of Pappy 23 in the bag sitting on the shelf behind the counter. I asked the checkout guy about it and he turns to the owner and says how much? The owner tells me $599 but I'll make you a deal $500 right now if you want it. I said no thanks!

Stopped to grab a six pack at a liquor store just down from my office yesterday when I noticed a bottle of Pappy 23 in the bag sitting on the shelf behind the counter. I asked the checkout guy about it and he turns to the owner and says how much? The owner tells me $599 but I'll make you a deal $500 right now if you want it. I said no thanks!

Should have offered him fifty bucks and a couple bottles of Old Bardstown.

pappy 23 at $600 is a steal! the last place i saw a 23 they had it for $700 *rolls eyes*

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!