What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a couple of Ritt 21 & 23's. Unfortunately I've met my spending quota for the month (though Mrs. Flyer may say for the quarter) and the $120 & $150 price tags were reasonable but too high for a single bottle right now.

Passed on a couple of Ritt 21 & 23's. Unfortunately I've met my spending quota for the month (though Mrs. Flyer may say for the quarter) and the $120 & $150 price tags were reasonable but too high for a single bottle right now.

Very good price on the 21, buy em all!

Michter's 20yr @ $470, then shocked to go back a few days later and found it gone.

Passed up several bottles of Lot B while traveling in KY.

I never see them anymore but I'm with you, I'd pass on 'em too.

There seems to be quite a bit of Van Winkle product moving around in Kentucky the past few weeks despite the cancellation of the spring release. I told on Thursday that I could "special order" whatever I wanted and it would take a week to get it. I don't get it.

There seems to be quite a bit of Van Winkle product moving around in Kentucky the past few weeks despite the cancellation of the spring release. I told on Thursday that I could "special order" whatever I wanted and it would take a week to get it. I don't get it.

Apparently the distributor in Kentucky for Sazerac, and thus Van Winkle, (Republic) held back a portion of the fall 2012 release for release this spring pre-Derby. JVW has stated publicly there was no official spring release this year.

ECBP for $70. I was in the local tourist trap know as The Gaslamp Quarter. The place a had a great selection though.

90 proof Angelo Lucchesi Jack Daniels @34.99 - many bottles, too high a price.

Michters 25 year old rye - @290. I've never seen it for under 400. I was sorely tempted, but wanted to spend the money elsewhere. If I ever taste it and am blown away I'll kick myself but for now I'm content to walk away.

I passed on Willet 9 year from the gift shop, and EC12 BP from the gift shop before I left KY. I had just spent too damn much money at that point. Nothing else was that tempting by the end.

I recently passed on some EW1996 for $30. I bought one bottle but left the other 5 sitting on the shelf. The store owner said to come back in a few weeks to go digging through the basement. Trying not to seem too eager.

With all of the so-so reviews I passed up on 3+ cases of PHC '12 and JPS21. Too much to not be superb, but I guess one can only judge for himself. Maybe next time.

Edit: PHC was $74 pre-tax.

Also, how do you date bottles of WT RB? It seems like every one I see has 03 as the only digits on the neck.

Edited by smknjoe

With all of the so-so reviews I passed up on 3+ cases of PHC '12 and JPS21. Too much to not be superb, but I guess one can only judge for himself. Maybe next time.

I can't endorse Jefferson 21, but I definitely am on the other side on the PHC 12. I think it's worth the money... But as you say, no one can know what you'll think of it until you try some. Hope you get a chance to do that sometime, seems like it will still be available on shelves for a while yet.

Distillers Masterpiece at the JB gift shop.Cool as it would be to complete the set and having the will power of a 3 year old,even I couldn't delve that deep for 12 yr whiskey.

I easily passed on 2 VW 12 Lot B bottles today. They were asking $150.00 a bottle. $90.00 profit over retail a bottle from a liquor store just seems greedy to me. I guess they are lucky some folks will pay that price. I'll sip on my $60 bottles if the prices stay like that. They most likely lost another customer today. I'll go where a customer is appreciated.

Distillers Masterpiece at the JB gift shop.Cool as it would be to complete the set and having the will power of a 3 year old,even I couldn't delve that deep for 12 yr whiskey.

I have a feeling many SBers passed on this recently. I certainly did. The packaging was nice though and the JB gift shop prices were a bargain compared to the HH gift shop (with the possible exception of the "on sale" ECBP).

I easily passed on 2 VW 12 Lot B bottles today. They were asking $150.00 a bottle. $90.00 profit over retail a bottle from a liquor store just seems greedy to me. I guess they are lucky some folks will pay that price. I'll sip on my $60 bottles if the prices stay like that. They most likely lost another customer today. I'll go where a customer is appreciated.

Yikes. I passed on Lot B for $60. I've liked past bottlings, but I'm not a fan of the recent release.

Yikes. I passed on Lot B for $60. I've liked past bottlings, but I'm not a fan of the recent release.

I'll have to drink some Weller 12 just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. I'm a big fan of VW so I would have a hard time passing up $60 bottles. I suppose everyone has their weakness.

There's a lottery at Prospect Party Center tomorrow night. I'm going, but I'm only willing to spend any money on the rye. Got a bottle in December at the same spot for a little under $70, even with the gouging I'd do it again. They actually have uniformed police officers draw the names. :confused:

There's a lottery at Prospect Party Center tomorrow night. I'm going, but I'm only willing to spend any money on the rye. Got a bottle in December at the same spot for a little under $70, even with the gouging I'd do it again. They actually have uniformed police officers draw the names. :confused:

Nothing too exciting... Almost bit on Eagle Rare 10yr for $28 but passed. Then almost bit on a EC12 for $22 and passed. Went for a family sized EWB for the first time in many months (for $15), and, to my own surprise, am very happy I did.

CoMobourbon, when I attended the one in December there must have been close to 200 people there. I think the extra foot traffic makes it worth their while.

I have a feeling many SBers passed on this recently. I certainly did. The packaging was nice though and the JB gift shop prices were a bargain compared to the HH gift shop (with the possible exception of the "on sale" ECBP).

When the bottles are older, the older date is printed on the bottle. They stopped updating that batches when they hit that 03 date.

I have only ever found two older bottles. One other distinguishing feature of those is the cellophane keeping the cap on. All of the modern bottlings I have seen have a clear cellophane. My older ones have a dark brown cellophane.

There is a thread on SB somewhere that lists all of the different batches through the years.

I see you are in Houston. If you're ever in Austin I'd be happy to break open one of my older bottles for you to sample!

Edit: PHC was $74 pre-tax.

Also, how do you date bottles of WT RB? It seems like every one I see has 03 as the only digits on the neck.

Thanks redbear. I'll let you know the next time I'm up your way.

Stopped at a few places on the way back from an appointment and saw a few things:

EC12 @ 19.99 corks looked iffy

WT101 without the fake tax stamp

WT101 Rye

WT KS Dark Wood top from 06

Old Charter 101

Weller 12 with what looked like raised wheat on the front of the glass bottle itself. The date code was in an odd format and unusual grey color instead of black.

Edit: and I saw some Beam Rye

Edited by smknjoe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!