What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller 12 with what looked like raised wheat on the front of the glass bottle itself. The date code was in an odd format and unusual grey color instead of black.

I'm pretty sure you should go back and get this. Whether you send it to me or not is up to you, but you should probably go get it. :lol:

Here now and its gone. They have a handle with a date of 06 and the raised wheat.post-9262-14489818938967_thumb.jpg

Edited by smknjoe

Here now and its gone. They have a handle with a date of 06 and the raised wheat.[ATTACH=CONFIG]15269[/ATTACH]

Almost bit on Larceny at $25 with $10 rebate, but decided to do more research on it first. Saw some EC 12 for $23 and thought it was a good deal. Also considered picking up some Old Crow Reserve 86 proof but again, don't know much about it so I passed. Saw a JBB gift set w/ two rocks glasses for $25 and a KC set with flask for $30.

What I thought was interesting was the OC Reserve stated "bottled under supervision of U.S. government" which is typically only found on BIB whiskey, yet this is only 86 proof. Anyone know why they are specifically stating this?

Eric

Edited by emr454

Is that a 1.75L for $39.99?! I can only get a 750ml for $26.99 and that's in the state below me...

What I thought was interesting was the OC Reserve stated "bottled under supervision of U.S. government" which is typically only found on BIB whiskey, yet this is only 86 proof. Anyone know why they are specifically stating this?

Eric

CoMobourbon, when I attended the one in December there must have been close to 200 people there. I think the extra foot traffic makes it worth their while.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of retailers that just manage digital / telephone waiting lists. Definitely the extra foot traffic from just that day alone would be worthwhile (putting aside the PR that the foot traffic would produce).

I passed up additional Four Roses 2013 LESB, and the Four Roses Secretariat bottle at $100.

I passed up additional Four Roses 2013 LESB, and the Four Roses Secretariat bottle at $100.

I passed up FR Secretariat at $150.00. Seems the price is all over the place on this bottle.

I passed up FR Secretariat at $150.00. Seems the price is all over the place on this bottle.

Yikes. I'd pass on a 100 proof NAS OBSV selected by someone with no bourbon experience even if it were 2 for $150. Every place that I know selling it has it for between $90-100 though.

Yikes. I'd pass on a 100 proof NAS OBSV selected by someone with no bourbon experience even if it were 2 for $150. Every place that I know selling it has it for between $90-100 though.

I've been watching the stock of Secretariat dwindle at TPS while waffling on whether I A) wanted to spend that much and B) wanted to pay for shipping or have it held for a road trip in the next month or so...

And I finally logged in to place the order and they're sold out. #$%$^ it all to #@!!

Bummer, but I'm sure you can up with something equally good and probably better to spend that hundy on.

Oh definitely. This was unapologetically a collectors bottle with some personal family attachment. Wouldn't have been opened anyway. Now I guess I'll have to buy something and drink it just to console myself :D

Passed on multiple bottles of PHC 2012, 2011 ER17, and a 2005 bottling of OFBB. For those who have had it, is the OFBB worth $80?

Passed on multiple bottles of PHC 2012, 2011 ER17, and a 2005 bottling of OFBB. For those who have had it, is the OFBB worth $80?

That's more than double the sticker from back then, and I don't think it's one of the more memorable vintages (2007, 2008 come to mind).

That's what I thought. They were selling the 2010-2012 vintages for $40 and while I knew the 2007 was highly rated, I thought I would take a chance on the '05. Until he told me it'd be $80.

JPS 17 for $95 not including a 10% discount coupon. Batches 1 and 2. Since I've never had a bottle of S-W juice and very well may never get the chance to buy one again, should I do it? Which is the better batch?

JPS 17 for $95 not including a 10% discount coupon. Batches 1 and 2. Since I've never had a bottle of S-W juice and very well may never get the chance to buy one again, should I do it? Which is the better batch?

Passed on the JPS 21 again at $130ish. Saw an Old Scout 6yo bourbon and 7yo Rye in the low $30's (99 pf) that I hadn't seen locally before as well as a "77" wheat whiskey and "rye & corn" whiskey, both at 90 pf, from a craft distiller that I recognize from the gin world, Breuckelen Distilling in Brooklyn, NY. They proudly indicated they were both 280 or so DAYS old and no doubt had been aged, such as it was, in small casks. They were around $44. They both looked darker than the Old Scout whiskey!

I decided I would pass for now as I hope to be able to get a taste of all four tomorrow evening at a tasting event. Maybe I will be surprised but I don't think a taste is going to convince me to change my mind about the "77" whiskeys.

post-8493-14489818986637_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489818986396_thumb.jpeg

Passed on EC20 at $110 and ECBP at $48. I really like the ECBP but I would rather wait for another batch than stock up on more of the same.

OFBB is supposed to be around $40. I have the 2005 and 2008. Personally, I like the 2005 much better. It's a butterscotch bomb if there ever was one. Everybody has different tastes though. As much as I like the 2005 I would not pay $80...or even $60.

Edited by smknjoe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!