What Beer Are You Drinking? Summer '13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tried the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale last night. This was a gift from my fiance (who knows nothing about beer) because she is rather familiar with my appreciation for bacon and not something I would buy for myself. Under the circumstances I was going to have to try it of course! It is one of the lowest rated beers I have seen on Beer Advocate (not that the rating alone would stop me from trying something).

Suffice it to say it was not particularly good. The nose has hints of maple and bacon, although it is more like bacon grease, along with a smokey quality. The smoke seems to dominate the taste and is a bit sharp in nature and not overly pleasing. The maple and bacon seems to all but disappear.

Oh well, at least it is done now!

Opened a Jackie O's Chomolungma (from a can). Not my favorite beer, but very solid; super glad to be getting Jackie O's in cans now. I can't wait for them to can Mystic Mama (which should happen in the next few months)!

Enjoying one of my favorite seasonal brews, Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

I'm looking forward to getting back to that one, too. I have sworn, though, to hold off until September 1...12:01 A.M....:D

Sam Oktoberfest is a good brew, but this is an example of being spoiled by regional choice...it is everywhere you turn around here, probably like being in Kentucky and seeing VOB.

That's a good one. Saint Arnold's Oktoberfest is another good one and is everywhere here because it's local.

Drinking an Epic Fermentation Without Representation, an Imperial Pumpkin Porter. A little early for a fall beer like this, but I couldn't resist.

This was a collaboration with DC Brau, who has done a barrel aged version which I'd love to try.

Anchorage Brewing Galaxy White IPA… it's a bottle conditioned Belgian wheat beer with spices and fruit aged in ex-wine casks. The spices and fruit are mild and its not hopped to any extrene degree. Very good stuff!

Clown Shoes "Hoppy Feet" deep rich dark malt and plenty of embittering hops abound,pretty well done indeed.

Clown Shoes "Tramp Stamp" Belgian Style IPA,not bad over all but has a minerality or vitamin note that comes into play with the hops that really seems to clash with an otherwise enjoyable profile.

Harviestoun Ola Dubh ale (yes...that's how it's spelled) matured in Highland Park 18 casks. Thick and chewy, not a whole lot of whisky influence. Nice ale, but not worth the money imho.

An impromptu beer sampling last night at a local BYOB pizza place that hasn't gotten its liquor license yet. Almost wish they wouldn't as it is nice to be able to bring our own.

post-8493-14489819654738_thumb.jpg

Selections included a Boulevard Saison Brett that I missed because I arrived late, Westbrook Mexican Cake Stout (the clear favorite of the evening), Terrapin Sound Czech pilsner, Hale's Wee Heavy Ale which proved to be a pleasant surprise, Sierra Nevada 30th Anniv. Helles Bock, White Wall spiced IPA and a couple that didn't make it into the picture that included a Ölvisholt Lava Russian Imperial Stout (that had an interesting smoked taste with a hint of pork sausage!) and a Deschutes Black Butte Porter which might have been a bit past its prime as it seemed a little flat.

post-8493-14489819654738_thumb.jpg

Another day, another beer sampler! Tonight had some real beauties as well.

post-8493-1448981965949_thumb.jpeg

Boulevard Reverb Imperial Pilsner - OK but not outstanding

Just the Tip Ale brewed with spruce tips from The Mostly Harmless Brewing Company (the hosts own home brew)

Westbrook Gose - a salted wheat beer that had a slightly sour pickle brine component. I liked it but I like sours and I was in the minority

Saison Dupont - I found it rather bland but then it did follow the Gose...

Port Brewery Wipeout IPA - pretty basic IPA

Stone R&R Coconut - Ok but absolutely no coconut taste at all

Then the pace picked up!

Dogfish Head Miles Davis Bitches Brew - an excellent malty Stout that was nicely balanced with a bit-o-honey flavor

Stone W00tstout - also good with a rich chocolate malty taste but didn't quite measure up to the Brew in complexity of flavor. Didn't taste the pecans.

Deschutes Black Butte XXV Anniversary - again quite good and much better than the regular Black Butte from the night before with a thick mouth feel and fig/raison-y taste but still didn't quite equal the Bitches Brew for me.

post-8493-14489819660162_thumb.jpg

The picture shows the bottle for the last two but we didn't open those. Instead we had a growler of each. Not sure how that might effect the taste, whether for the good or bad.

post-8493-14489819659252_thumb.jpeg

And then we closed the evening with a superb creation. The Bruery Bois, their fifth anniversary ale was a big and boozy Old Ale style and had tons of malt, vanilla and caramel mixing together to create the perfect finish to the evening!

post-8493-1448981965902_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819659709_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-1448981965994_thumb.jpeg

An impromptu beer sampling last night at a local BYOB pizza place that hasn't gotten its liquor license yet. Almost wish they wouldn't as it is nice to be able to bring our own.

Selections included a Boulevard Saison Brett that I missed because I arrived late...

IMHO you likely didn't miss much with the Saison Brett; I opened one at a tasting a week ago and it was less funky/ interesting than the first one I opened a few years ago. I thought the age would help bring out that funky brett character, but it didn't seem to. Also opened Ommegeddon at the same tasting that was much funkier with lots of brett character.

A few more hours of classes then I'll be working on my homebrewing rig over a couple of beers - planning to open Grassroots Brewing Arctic Saison - brewed as a collaboration between Shaun of Hill Farmstead and Anchorage Brewing. It's another Brett Saison, but it's only been in the bottle since May.

Bell's night for me too. A random cold front blew through today, and I'm having some Kalamazoo Stout while watching the Falcons preseason game against Baltimore.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!