What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter '13/'14

bingstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the info. At that same store I saw a 375 bottle of Blanton's. When I was paying for it the man told me he had some more in the back and did I want them. So I walked out with 3 bottles.

We finished that one also. Best I can tell it's from a 1990 dump. I have to say its one of the best bourbons I've ever had.

post-9285-14489820276724_thumb.jpg

Started off with a nice pour of HW DR. Was planning for tonight to be a rye night but ended up pulling out an open bottle of FR SB. A couple of nice pours and then decided to end the night with a nice pour of FR SmB. Don't have to work tomorrow so just relaxing a little. :grin:

I know many share my perspective but it is worth repeating. FR SB and FR SmB are excellent values for the price.

working through some open bottles lately, some things Im not sure Im going to replace when empty. Last night it was Ezra 7/101, tonight it is HH BIB gold label. Those two and a Dickel 12 might not get replaced

A friend gave me a JD Winterfest for my 'burfday', and I cant decide if I want to try it. I have low expectations. Anyone on here tried it?

A pour of Old Ezra 101. Trying to decide if I like it enough to bunker a couple of bottles before they take the age statement off :)

A pour of Old Ezra 101. Trying to decide if I like it enough to bunker a couple of bottles before they take the age statement off :)

finished the night out with that myself. I do like it, but I dont think its all that different than HH6BIB, yet costs 75% more. I'm choosing to stockpile the HH6BIB, but id bet the Ezra 7 disappears first.

$18 a bottle still aint bad, if you really like it.

Had a nice pour of the Bowman 12 Yr Port Finished LE last night. Second time with it, and I think it is a good one.

Very full-flavored, and I'd say it comes across a bit higher than 100 proof (yet the 100 proof works very nicely). Exceptional nose, and a lot going on with the taste: sweetness, some spice, the port influence, and a lot of caramel on the finish.

Glad I have two, and just need to decide if I bunker a couple more.

Had some PVW 15 2012 last night watching bowl games. I tell you what, I wasn't sold on my bottle for a bit, but it has really opened up into something special.

HW son of bourye at a wine bar last night. Very good juice just like his father bourye. I need to get a bottle for home. tim

Is 5:40PM and rainy here in the Mid-Atlantic. Tonight is beef night so I'll be making Manhattans (Old Overholt & Dolins 2:1 w/lots of Angostura & a bright red cherry). To get ready, I'm having a couple fingers of Larceny (thanks for the rebate but I'd like it, anyway) on a chunk of ice - got an iceball maker for Christmas and, of course, I have to use it.

The bad news is, my snow blower died. Of course, the good news is my snow blower died. Was forced to build a nice fire and pour some EC12. It seems to me that EC12 can be highly variable but I am 3/4 of the way through this bottle and it has been quite exceptional every sip of the way.

Just loving this pour of 2013 OFBB at the end of an extremely busy day. As I look back at the year in whiskey just past, this bourbon is certainly one of the very brightest spots. Outstanding whiskey.

Wild Turkey Old No 8, neat.

This step down from the 8 Year Old is still better than most bourbons that are on the shelves today.

Having a little ND OT outside on the balcony and being very thankful we're not back east right now. Hope those of you in the path of the snow are snuggled in and safe with a tasty pour. Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FR gift ship OESO (11yr, 10 mo) aka the Bingstein Bottle. First time I've had this recipe. Holy cow.

working through some open bottles lately, some things Im not sure Im going to replace when empty. Last night it was Ezra 7/101, tonight it is HH BIB gold label. Those two and a Dickel 12 might not get replaced

A friend gave me a JD Winterfest for my 'burfday', and I cant decide if I want to try it. I have low expectations. Anyone on here tried it?

I haven't tried it but what's the alternative? Become a JD collector? Sounds worse than opening it....

FR gift ship OESO (11yr, 10 mo) aka the Bingstein Bottle. First time I've had this recipe. Holy cow.

I really like the FR high rye recipes. However, I just tried OESK and was blown away. Have you tried OESK? If so, how would you compare to OESO. OESO has been on my "wish" list for a while. Of course, my version would be a store pick not GS.

EW Black Label. I was surprised how good this was. offering a silky sweet body with a fine minty rye tang. No oiliness or other immaturity. A bargain understates the case, it really is better than many bourbons that are much more expensive IMO. I bought it after it became NAS but found that bottle oily and young-tasting - this current one is more similar to what I remember when it was 7 years old. Given how bourbon has climbed in price in recent years this is a rare excellent value - the only other I can think of as good, albeit costing more, is Four Roses 80 proof - plus the black label of EW is 86 proof (not 90 as at one time but still a good value again).

Gary

I've seen quite a few of those around but passed since well, they are still pretty common around here. How is it and what "house profile" does it taste like?

Sipping on some John J. Bowman SB while watching the Sugar Bowl. I like the slightly spicy finish on this one. Starts out sweet and finishes spicy with just a little burn and nice aroma, too.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!