What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter '13/'14

bingstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally sipping some HHSS :yum:

About time!

I'm working on a pour from my HH dump bottle. It's got a little bit of everything in it...GBS ECBP, GBS EC15, Henry McKenna 10, and HH BiB 6 year. Damn good.

Lately Ive been enjoying some HH 6/90. But, I have noticed that if I then switch to my current favorite, Dickel 9/103, afterwards, the Dickel tastes 'off'.

What could explain that? I love Dickel 9, but not after having HH stuff prior to it....the HH aftertaste (its only weak point) seems to linger through and overpower the Dickel 9's aftertaste (its best feature).why?

also tonight, the HH aftertaste is even present after having some KCSB as well.

odd....

FR SmB LE'13,ECBP and now some J.Bowman #45 TPS selection and a very nice whiskey I might add.

Love that JJB #45. Those other two aren't so bad either.

About time!

I'm working on a pour from my HH dump bottle. It's got a little bit of everything in it...GBS ECBP, GBS EC15, Henry McKenna 10, and HH BiB 6 year. Damn good.

That does sound delicious!

A more studied pour of HHSS this afternoon. Just amazing stuff! Then moving onto some Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit LE (18+ yr bourbon I've owned half a bottle of for over a year, but haven't really tasted yet!)

I've got about 3 oz. left in the bottom of my last PVW Family Reserve Rye. I'll start with that tonight, and plunge on from there!

Store selection single barrel of EC12 - this one is quite a bit fruitier than other EC12's I've had, almost in that EW vein where you get that black cherry on the mid-palate and finish. Three minutes later and I can still taste it.

Staying in with the family tonight and playing games! And, of course, enjoying a little bourbon. Starting the night sipping Stagg Jr. from a shot glass. Widely panned in the media and occasionally in the forums, but I enjoy it. Not the bottle of the year but certainly worthy of $40 to $50 bottle of bourbon in today's market.

Just put down some Bowman 12 year Port Finished, and then some Bowman Single Barrel before heading out for festivities with the family. Good stuff.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Staying in with the family tonight and playing games! And, of course, enjoying a little bourbon. Starting the night sipping Stagg Jr. from a shot glass. Widely panned in the media and occasionally in the forums, but I enjoy it. Not the bottle of the year but certainly worthy of $40 to $50 bottle of bourbon in today's market.

A little sip of Stagg Jr too, before heading out with Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe for dinner. Back later for jigsaw puzzle and watching the ball drop. I miss the all night game playing that we used to do with the in-laws. Loved playing PIT, BTW...Anywho, I agree with your assessment of the Stagg Jr. It's a notable addition to our little hobby, and well worth the money. In a few years, we will think we had stole it...

WT12 CGF, ER101, Saz 18. The wife told me cook steak and cancel dinner reservations so I'm drinking some good shit tonight.

WT12 CGF, ER101, Saz 18. The wife told me cook steak and cancel dinner reservations so I'm drinking some good shit tonight.

Sounds like a great night ahead! Frankfort on the ER101?

Sounds like a great night ahead! Frankfort on the ER101?

Yessir. I have 1 NOLA 750 but it's not being opened for some time.

Yessir. I have 1 NOLA 750 but it's not being opened for some time.

Well done! I actually think I prefer Frankfort to NOLA, but have yet to try any Lawrenceburg, so I'll hold-off on a full ranking until I do. :)

Well done! I actually think I prefer Frankfort to NOLA, but have yet to try any Lawrenceburg, so I'll hold-off on a full ranking until I do. :)

The LBurg I had probably won but it wasn't a total slam dunk

Starting with some Col EH Taylor SmB and this is very tasty. My cold must be waning because I can actually taste some flavors.

Happy New Year!

a5azy5a6.jpg

Happy New Year!

Having a little egg nog concoction. Egg nog, bourbon, a tiny splash of rum and a dash of Orange Bitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getting into the bottle of Booker's my MIL gave me for X-mas. Still in my top 3 of bourbons. If only the aftertaste were as good as the taste when you first take a sip, it'd be #1. Love that sweet, full-bodied mouthfeel!

It just amazes me that this is basically barrel proof, unfiltered Jim Beam at 7 years.

then had some KCSB. there is strong family resemblance here, but each is better at something than the other. I prefer the initial 'hot' of the Booker's; it hits the instant it hits your mouth - you get sweet and hot right away. With the KCSB, it is smoother at first then the heat comes on in a few seconds.....the overall taste profile is a draw, they are quite close........for a finish, the KCSB lasts longer, whereas the Booker's fades sooner, its only drawback.

since they are both single barrels though, it may differ from one bottle to the next. I may just do a 50/50 mix and see if I can get the entry of Bookers with the finish of KCSB.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!