What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter '13/'14

bingstein
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A fine idea. Think in gonna have a pour of OESK since I don't currently have an OBSK open :-)

A fine idea. Think in gonna have a pour of OESK since I don't currently have an OBSK open :-)

Can't go wrong with OESK! I was just checking some of my open FRSB's and I've got some gift shop OESO, OBSO, OBSV, OBSQ and some OESV's that are on notice for today :grin:. I will be hitting the OESO next as it has the lowest fill level, trying to clear out some room on the "bar".

Can't go wrong with OESK! I was just checking some of my open FRSB's and I've got some gift shop OESO, OBSO, OBSV, OBSQ and some OESV's that are on notice for today :grin:. I will be hitting the OESO next as it has the lowest fill level, trying to clear out some room on the "bar".

Well have some for me. I'm not sure what else I will hit today but I have a 125th that is almost gone that is calling my name. Glad I have a few more bunkered ;-)

Well have some for me. I'm not sure what else I will hit today but I have a 125th that is almost gone that is calling my name. Glad I have a few more bunkered ;-)

Will do. Always good to have extras of the ones you really like, cheers! :grin:

I decided to open a Noah's Mill I received as a Christmas gift. So far I don't think I will be buying any for myself but we will see if it grows on me.

So I've moved on back to some OESK. I was going through some things I purchased last time I was in Bardstown. I opened up a book about Four Roses and noticed this:

vyja9e5u.jpg

Just thought I would share a nice little surprise. Cheers and have a Happy New Year Everyone.

Had a big pour of FC for the USC-Wisconsin game. Then did a SBS with KC SB and Booker's. Reduced the proof of the Booker's just to make it fair. The KC seemed a little woodier--which I attribute to 9 YO vs. 7 YO. Quite a bit of dark chocolate in both. And a simply lovely mouth feel. If I had to drink either one for all of '14, I'd be one very happy camper.

Empty bottle of Evan Williams BiB on the counter this morning so I guess that happened last night.

Sittin' out back with the Sheltie, and sippin' on the last coupla pours of a bottle of Beam Sinature Craft 12 yr. that I picked up a few weeks ago. I've had better bourbons in the past year. More complex bourbons in the past year. And, better value bourbons in the past year. But, I'm not sure I have enjoyed drinking any bourbon more in the past year, than this one. It's been a very nice, easy, and flavorful pour ever time it's been in my glass.

Sittin' out back with the Sheltie, and sippin' on the last coupla pours of a bottle of Beam Sinature Craft 12 yr. that I picked up a few weeks ago. I've had better bourbons in the past year. More complex bourbons in the past year. And, better value bourbons in the past year. But, I'm not sure I have enjoyed drinking any bourbon more in the past year, than this one. It's been a very nice, easy, and flavorful pour ever time it's been in my glass.
I kind of know what you mean with this one,I would register it as a "Comfort Pour" and I would also have to substitute the Sheltie for two barking Dachshunds....but other than that,I know where you're coming from.:grin:

Kicking '14 off with the SB blend. Cheers and wishes for good health to all!

X2. And emptied my blend bottle as well. Converting from a W12 to a Birthday Bourbon bottle for the '14 Blend batches.

And following up with a pour of said OF BB '13. One of the top 5 from this past year for me.

Edited by Old Dusty

I kind of know what you mean with this one,I would register it as a "Comfort Pour" and I would also have to substitute the Sheltie for two barking Dachshunds....but other than that,I know where you're coming from.:grin:

:D. "Comfort Pour" is a perfect description, Ryan. Even when they're barking, drinking whiskey with the dogs is a good thing...:D

Trying to bring the feeling back in my hands,lips and face after an hour out snow blowing in the frozen hell that is NW Illinois with some 09 GTS and it's proving to be a well thought out choice.

Went back to the FC for the Stanford-MSU game. No need to save the FC because SC is done for the season. Mercy, mercy, mercy! HH do know how to make a great value bourbon. 6 YO, 103 proof. Come on man!

Four Roses OESO Loch & K(e)y selection. Revisiting this pour, full-bodied, caramelly, fruity, easy-drinking goodness, with blooming, lingering barrel spice on the tongue. Gonna dip into a sample of some 125th next.

Then did a SBS with KC SB and Booker's. Reduced the proof of the Booker's just to make it fair. The KC seemed a little woodier--which I attribute to 9 YO vs. 7 YO. Quite a bit of dark chocolate in both. And a simply lovely mouth feel. If I had to drink either one for all of '14, I'd be one very happy camper.

agreed. I had both side by side last night, and both are quire nice!

tonight, I had a tiny bit o' KCSB, then some HH6 90 when we had the whole family over for NYD dinner. Im the only bourbon guy in the family.

I dunno why, but that HH6 90 has really been hitting the spot lately. When Im not in the mood for one of my 120 proofers, the HH6 has all the sweet and flavor you want without the hot.

I've been sipping on EW1783 lately. It is a recent addition to the Minnesota scene and a very welcome one. It has a nice sweetness and shows some time in the barrel with some decent wood flavor for me.

Last week I was in TX. and stopped by an old liquor store and found a very good surprise.

So last night I popped it open. Very good bourbon.

The cork broke when I opened it so I poured the juice into another bottle. But it didn't make it through the night.

post-9285-14489820275056_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820275599_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820276145_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820275056_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820275599_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820276145_thumb.jpg

Edited by LCWoody

It's good stuff, I found one of those earlier this year and paid $20 for it. I'd lay off of the lead intake for a while after drinking the whole thing though. That Weller on the bottom of the list is a sample I sent him from the exact same decanter you have.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20650-Lead-testing-in-bourbon-step-by-step&p=361955&viewfull=1#post361955

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!